Character: Imperial Stormtrooper
Scale: 1/6
Edition Size: Limited / Unserialized - Hot Toys / Sideshow Exclusive
Box Size [H / W / D] (inches): 14.5 x 9 x 4.5
Producer: Hot Toys
Original MSRP (USD): $219.99

REVIEW
Design: 10
Hot Toys' latest Imperial Stormtrooper comes from the first Star Wars anthology film, Rogue One - A Star Wars Story. Since it is a Hot Toys objective to produce accurate scale figures, this will be part of my design assessment for future Hot Toys reviews. But here we have a rare case of a product being delivered before its license source has been released. So I can't compare the accuracy of the design to the source. The Rogue One trooper design looks to be based, in general, to the Return of the Jedi look of Stormtroopers. Additional design changes were made to the armor For what looks to be enhancements for the stunt/actor ergonomics. The figure benefits from this by reducing where the rigid armor components collide with each other resulting is better poseability than the First Order Stormtrooper. This Jedha Patrol trooper is a more efficient design compared to the original Sandtrooper. As usual, Hot Toys provides a variety of hands for posing options. It would have been nice for a second weapon to be include. The belt is conformed to the body armor so it won't slide side to side. I reserve the right to adjust my score after the movie releases.

Sculpt: 10
Hot Toy's accurate human portraits are a main selling point of their figures. So armored figures are a slam dunk for them. Design is most likely a digital sculpt given the proportional accuracy and symmetry. The body sculpt is much improved over the Sandtrooper as the joint between the feet and leg is less exposed.

Paint & Mixed Media: 9
Hot Toys excels as paint application. Crisp lines are accurately placed decorations are typical for Hot Toys works. My two complaints are some sloppy blue lines on the helmet's right side vents and the backpack weathering. While the armor shows a light grunge of sandy dust, the backpack weathering is just worn paint effects. The backpack looks like a used one that has been cleaned. I would like to have seen some dust applied to the backpack. One of the improvement to modern troopers is the under bodysuit. Instead of just a simple black undersuit, patterns can be seen on the undersuit between the armor.

Production & Build Quality: 9
Casting is perfect with no noticeable mold lines. Fitment between the rigid armor components and the bodysuit are snug compared to an early Sideshow clonetrooper I had were the rigid parts just floated. As shown in the photo, the trooper lenses are translucent green which provides a greenish tint in bright lights. This is same approach used in previous troopers. I was a bit disappointed that the backpack is permanently attached. I was hoping it was magnetically attached similar to the Jumptrooper figure. This would have allowed for additional flexibility in display. Display options are a key consideration for 1/6 scale figures as this is a feature figures have over statues. The head is easily removable to remove or exchange pauldrons (from other figures if desired). This figure comes with a printed cardboard background. It's a nice inclusion, but I don't plan on using it. This base allows sever display options. It should be noted that the graphics insert is an adhesive application so it is a permanent options. I guess it just be laid on top. It didn't check to see if the vertical figure post locks properly with the application on top of the base.

Final Comments:
The Episode IV Sandtrooper design was always favorite of mine since I was a kid. I was disappointed that Kenner never produced the character in the original toy line. Rogue One's Jedha Patrol Stormtrooper brings us it's version of Imperial Sandtrooper badassery in an improved, streamlined design. Hot Toys delivers an exclusive design for Star Wars collectors and army builders. A few improvements could have made this a prefect figure, but it is still an excellent example of Hot Toys products.

Overall Score: 9.5

It would like get some feedback regarding the review categories. There was some difficulty placing the figure discussions in the standard statue categories. Poseability and display configuration options don't have a good category home. Should we consider specific figure categories or define figure unique definitions for the existing categories.

jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:16 AM   #2
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Thank you UPS for another gently delivered package.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:16 AM   #3
jedi_don

Old 11-21-2016, 12:16 AM   #4
jedi_don

The instructions show a magnet symbol for attaching the genades to the backpack, but they are just held in by friction.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:16 AM   #5
jedi_don

Bonus Photos

This is a comparison of heavy blasters from Rogue One heavy And A New Hope