Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
dominicqwek
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Smile Cthulhu Premium Bust by Dominic Qwek

Hey folks,

I've recently launched my Cthulhu Premium Bust on Kickstarter and seeking support to produce it as a pre-painted product. We're aiming to produce this as a low-run high quality piece with focus on an exceptional paint finish on these. The pictures shown are of the production sample and we are striving for each bust to look as good as this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...um-bust-statue

Cthulhu Premium Bust.
Price: $230 plus $30 shipping worldwide
Size: 11.5"/ 30cm H x 5"/ 12.7cm W x 6"/ 15cm L
Material: Polystone resin
Expected Ship Date: August 2017

I released this as a resin kit a few years back and decided to give it a shot as a prepainted statue. If you're interested in owning this piece, please help support us on Kickstarter.

Thank you for looking. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KS_Promo01.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	592.1 KB
ID:	102972   Click image for larger version

Name:	KS_ProductShots01.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	483.8 KB
ID:	102973   Click image for larger version

Name:	KS_ProductShots02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	102974   Click image for larger version

Name:	KS_ProductShots03.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	504.1 KB
ID:	102975  
dominicqwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
AndAlsoTheTrees
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Gorgeous !
AndAlsoTheTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

That is AWESOME! Not sure how I feel about the color choice, but I love the idea. This may be the first Kickstarter I ever backed!

Edit: Are the shipping fees included?
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
mrcocopops

Dominic, will the busts be individually numbered as part of a limited edition?

Thanks.
mrcocopops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #5
KELPIE
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
Edit: Are the shipping fees included?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicqwek View Post
Price: $230 plus $30 shipping worldwide
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Ah sorry I must have missed that :P Thank you
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:41 AM   #7
dao2
Cyclops

Looks awesome! The eye's especially look great. When you say "There will be a slight variance to each one as they are individually hand painted" is that like a real variance because of hand painting or Sideshow's version of variance because of hand painting?
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:53 AM   #8
dominicqwek

Wow, wasn't expecting much of a response, Thanks guys! Glad you folks dig this Cthulhu sculpt.

@Gyro Zeppeli Thanks for the support! I appreciate it. Who knows? It could be your first Kickstarter!

@mrcocopops If we hit our goal, we'll make each one numbered and part of a limited edition. I don't plan on making any more past this Kickstarter to be honest so it's crucial we get some visibility on the campaign.

@AndAlsoTheTrees Thanks man!

@dao2 That's a loaded question.. lol. I have friends at Sideshow you know. Let's just say that the slight variance is due to individual hand painting and the pictures shown are the production prototype, not a paint master. This is the quality each backer will get... IF we get the Kickstarter funded.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
dao2
Cyclops

I appreciate the response. I imagine if you have friends at sideshow they must be aware that their prototypes are often much better then their production. If they're not they're clearly deluding themselves.

For example I took issue with my masked predator bust, it was missing all of the nice weathering and paint work that the prototype had, and even worse the damage mark was now a perfect circle drawn with a stencil with little squiggly lines coming out of it. It didn't even look like damage anymore but instead some sort of symbol put on the mask.

Here's an image to illustrate the difference.

Their response about this:
"Please know that our products are each individually hand crafted and hand painted. There are no two pieces that will be exactly alike. Since these pieces are hand painted, there will be minor variations and imperfections from piece to piece and this is considered normal. After reviewing the picture you have provided, we do not see anything that would be considered out of the ordinary"

This is clearly just a copy and pasted support response. That's not minor variations it's head and shoulders above in terms of quality. I showed an image of 5 busts and sideshow's proto to just random people in my office and I never had anyone say that the SS didn't looked better.

I understand there will be some hit in quality in china produced statues, but there are limits. And instead of acknowledging this SS support just plays dumb so they don't give you a full refund.

Enough -----ing about Sideshow though, sorry :P Thanks for clearing it up. Threw my hat in so it's 1 closer and I hope it gets funded!
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #10
dominicqwek

@dao2

I hear you and I've experienced the same issues being a collector myself. It's a QC issue for sure and it can be rectified but requires personnel to be on site to supervise over a duration of time. There WILL always be some units that have defects when MOQ is that large. Secondly, I think support could have probably handled it better but it's one of those things that if it isn't a broken arm, or a broken leg, it's paint variance. I know how you feel man, I've been there. I've had pretty good experience when it comes to SS customer service.

All that said. This Cthulhu Bust production is very indie and we're using a very boutique company in China to handle it so I am optimistic about the paint quality. I've also produced 8 pre-painted figures with them in the past(all personal designs) and all low run editions. I've not received a single complaint to date from my customers about paint quality. You can see the paint quality of thse figures on my website

http://www.dominicqwek.com

Thanks again for your support!