Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-24-2006, 01:05 AM   #11
bat_collector
Galactus

Best title: Walking Dead - nothing this year comes close to the suspense, the tension, the gore, and the PAIN that this series brought to us this year. After having a year of interpersonal drama last year, the cast experienced its biggest threat yet

Best Hardcover: Absolute Sandman - the deluxe reproduction that all will be measured against from now on

Best Writer - Brubaker - Cap and Daredevil in top form, plus a return to greatness for Uncanny. And great mini in Books of Doom

Best Artist - Steve McNiven - his work on Civil War has been brilliant

Best OGN: Pride of Baghad - must read for a comic that transcends the medium

Best Character - The Spectre - in a year where Batman, Cap, Spidey, and Iron man all had banner years, I'll remember the tragedy Crispus Allen went through more than anything.

Best Cover - Any of the brilliant Suydam Marvel Zombies covers

Best Villain - Tony Stark - maybe a conflicted hero, but he's done more to ruin the lives of the Marvel U's heroes than anyone in a long time.

Best Issue - AStonishing X-men #16 - the "yeahbuhwha?" ish. nuff said

Biggest Surprise - 52 - in that they haven't delivered a single issue yet late

Biggest Letdown - the Civil War release schedule
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:49 AM   #12
Pogo4321
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Best series: Paul Dini's Detective-- one amazing single issue story after another. He accomplishes more in a single page than most other writers accomplish in entire issue.
Pogo4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
Primal
Batman

Best Comic:
Daredevil

Best Mini Series:
Infinite Crisis

Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo4321 View Post
Best series: Paul Dini's Detective-- one amazing single issue story after another. He accomplishes more in a single page than most other writers accomplish in entire issue.

Excellent choice! I still place Cap above Detective but this book has been my pick of the week every time it's come out.

I'd give it best new creative run and include Don Kramer in it but this title's new success truly belongs to Dini.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
This is tough.

Best Comic: Captain America, the standout book of this year for the second consecutive year.

Best Collected Edition: Absolute Sandman (I love New Frontier but, as a collected edtion, Sandman stands out more)

Best Mini Series: King Arthur vs. Dracula (It started in 05 but finished in 06)

Best New Title: Immortal Iron Fist. Only one issue into it but I love it.
Title deserving wider recognition: Lone Ranger, for sure! (Thanks, Aarrgghh!!) Runner up: Blade and then Black Panther.

Best Writer: Ed Brubaker (Captain America, Daredevil)

Best Penciler: Really tough...Darwin Cooke on Batman/Spirit and The Spirit. After that, JR JR on Eternals.

And my addition to these categories:

Best OGN: Pride of Baghdad
Here's another plug for Immortal Iron Fist, off of newsaram.com:

The Immortal Iron Fist #2 (Marvel; by Koben) Unlike other series cashing in on hot late-70’s and early-80’s properties, this book is quality all the way. With Brubaker and Fraction writing, Danny Rand’s triumphant return to a regular series is in good hands. The second issue kicks off with a peek into the life of another Fist from distant history, Wu Ao-Shi of the year 1545. Damn, I love that stuff. Then it’s back to current times as Danny’s fight with Hydra. Bru and Fraction inject the drama with some excellent bits of stupid humor, with lines like, “I am Iron Fist, and I know kung fu. Hi-yahh.” The dynamic between Rand and his former partner is especially good. They act and speak like old friends should, without being caught up in the specific trademarks of the writers. The art of David Aja is terribly enjoyable again, but a surprise comes in the form of a flashback drawn by the legendary John Severin. Who is this man named Randall, and what does he have to do with Danny Rand collapsing at issue’s end? This is, hands-down, my favorite Marvel book out right now.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #16
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Folks, for those who have not yet read Pride of Baghdad I seriously advise you do so. It's an extremely important, beautifully written and illustrated book.

Sam and I both reviewed it in the same week. For those interested you can find the reviews here:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...=pride+baghdad
My vote changes to Pride, got a copy in my stockin'. Also reading the Runaways digest Vol. 1 which reinforces my BKV vote even more.
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote