Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 02-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #21
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Time for Fedor to hang it up, the myth has been exposed and shows why he didnt want to sign with UFC, he knew he couldnt hang with todays fighters, he was good but he was never great and over rated in my book, hard for him to even hang with the B list.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #22
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

He fought overseas and the American public never got to see his skills in action...and now that we get to see him fight, its so unimpressive and now his legacy is a fairy tale..."7 with 1 blow" if u will, honestly IMO...Fedor looks like the type of fighter who fought for the love of Martial Arts more than the Fame of it all...his desire looked depleted...maybe not retirement but at least a hiatus like Carano did, to test his want to continue fighting
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #23
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
That's fair enough but really his legacy shouldn't be in doubt. He has fought much much bigger men and won. But like I said the bigger fighter only needs to connect once.'
Agreed. He looked tiny against Silva and he obviously struggled against a much bigger dude. There was a time where that size wouldn't have been as big an issue perhaps, but everyone gets older. I give him a lot of props just for surviving the second round. A great fighter who may be ready for something else.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #24
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

It's pretty clear the 230 pound heavy's cannot compete with these 280 monsters that can actually fight. If your a natural 240 pounder that weights 250+ fight night like Cain Velasquez you can compete. Blown up guys like Frank Mir cannot. Fedor is too small. Carwin and Brock would kill him.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #25
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Time for Fedor to hang it up, the myth has been exposed and shows why he didnt want to sign with UFC, he knew he couldnt hang with todays fighters, he was good but he was never great and over rated in my book, hard for him to even hang with the B list.
Really? Point me to any 230 pound figher who could stand a chance against an equay skillfull 280 pound fighter. The 280 pound guys should be in a different class like Super Heavyweight.

Fedor made mince meat of guys his same size. Ali lost fights and it didn't effect his legacy. Why should this effect Fedors. He was badly advised going up against this giant. But then he was brave.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #26
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Really? Point me to any 230 pound figher who could stand a chance against an equay skillfull 280 pound fighter. The 280 pound guys should be in a different class like Super Heavyweight.

Fedor made mince meat of guys his same size. Ali lost fights and it didn't effect his legacy. Why should this effect Fedors. He was badly advised going up against this giant. But then he was brave.
All things being equal size does matter, and it is hard for these 230 pounders to hang with a 280 pounder, I have always felt there should be a super heavy class just for the sake of fairness.

Fedor had a chance to prove he could hang with the best by joining the UFC while he was supposedly in his prime, he chose not to, he chose to fight for a company who took all the fighters that were let go or couldnt make it in the UFC, his legacy is in question because he's gotten beat by fighters on the second tier, I even thought Arlovski could have beaten him if he didnt have a glass jaw, what most fans are thinking right now is doesnt look legendary to me, his legendary status has been shot down in flames.

No more Gee I wonder how Fedor would do in the UFC, we all know the answer to that is "not to good".
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #27
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

That's a valid point cuz they wouldn't. Allow the 185s to fight the 205s...but I don't think there are enough super heavies to adequately have great competition
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #28
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Quote:

Common sense is still alive. Good post.
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:18 AM   #29
Ridimous
Spider-Ham

Fedor is still a great fighter imo. Can't wait to see his next match.
Ridimous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #30
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

If he fights again it should be on an equal basis. If there was proper weight divisions this sport could be bigger than boxing.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote