Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 12-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Raven08
Doh!

Dullcote removes paint?

I'm curious as to what I'm doing wrong with Testor's Dullcote. I don't have an airbrush, I use a regular paint brush to apply this stuff. But it removes some of the paint as I apply it.

What am I doing wrong? Overbrushing? Is there a technique to this? Some secret I'm missing? I'm working on a really cool statue of Logan and I know I can't use the floor wax to finish it, it won't look right if it's shiney. But my previous attempt at using Dullcote didn't work so well.

Is it supposed to look cloudy in the bottle?
Raven08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
ComputerFly
The Phantom

As you've found out, it can't really be brushed directly on to acrylic paint. You'll need to apply a gloss coat first.

Take a look at this article, as they discuss a couple of options for the gloss coat.

Pulled from another site:

Testors is a Lacquer, the carrier fluid is nitrocellulose. This is important as nitrocellulose is quite aggressive and as OT says you need to be wary of brushing it directly onto acryllics. It can lift some metallics in particular and destroys decals. It *can* lift some acryllics but this appears to be medium-dependent, so you may or may not experience this effect - itpays to be safe anyway.

Ideally you should always use a good matt or gloss varnish first (note: Varnish, not another lacquer) and then apply Testors over the top of that. Make sure that the varnish has had plenty of time to fully cure.

With testors "less is more" and you only need very light thin coats.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

testors dullcote comes in a spray can, and you can mist it over statues easy. But i found out the hard way when i first used the stuff spraying close and soaking it in, it will melt paints.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Raven08
Doh!

Thank you! That's good to know.
Raven08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I gave up on Testors Dullcote years ago. I don't know if they reformulated, but back when I used it, it was turn yellow over time. It was also slightly yellow-brownish instead of clear. I've been using Mr. Super Clear UV Cut from the Mr. Hobby line by Gunze Sangyo. The UV Cut version is a bit hard to find and runs close to $15 for a 170 ml spray can. I find that it is more clear, dries faster and doesn't smell as bad as dullcote. Plus I have been successful using it over Testors and Tamiya acrylic paints.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Dullcote in spray can with thin coats from about 12" works best for me, it has a slight sheen to it and is not truly flat or dull.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote