Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 12-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
skorpsta
Ghost

VALLEJO ACRYLIC MODEL COLORS

well..think im got get some vallejo acrylic paints..from seeing the prices on ebay and some web sites they go for about 2.25 to 2.50 a bottle.. i use americana, delta ceramacote, and folk art hobby paints and thinned with airbrush thinner and water they air brush well to me these also have a matte finish on them..which i love. but im noticing that for some details when im hand brushing i was told that the vallejos leave less brush strokes and also dry to a matte finish and also thinned with air brush thinner also can air brush...as painters im sure all of us have tons of brands of paints.lol..i have about 170 colors or more from several acrylic paint companys...i know vallejo sells air brush paints..but just want to make sure the model color series thinned with air brush thinner and water is okay to air brush...im sure it is but need some advice..who use them the down fall is the bottles are very small.

can anyone post pics of there paint ups with the vallejo model colors..i know they are use in minutures and seen them, also i know bran uses them and bran i love your paint ups bro..the style and step by step techniques are helpful as painters there is no limit on learning.
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Yea don't waste your money on the airbrush ready ones. You're only paying for the convenience of having them thinned for you already. If you get the model colors it's like 5 or 6 times as much paint since it is not thinned.
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
skorpsta
Ghost

HEY THANKS FOR THE INFO!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Voshizle@gmail.

You're welcome. I only own a couple Vallejos so far but have researched them quite a bit and it makes total sense how with the airbrush ready ones you are only paying for convenience.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
skorpsta
Ghost

this is true
Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
Voshizle@gmail.

Oh yea and I'm not sure if this is the exact recipe, but as far as thinning them I remember someone saying you can just make a batch of a mix of half distilled water, half acrylic thinner, and a few drops of future. This mix can then be added to the paint to thin it. I guess the future helps create a more resilient layer of paint, but won't change the luster since it's such a small amount. Hope that makes sense and helps.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Rattler
Doh!

Skorpsta,

I started work on this bust about 2 years ago. using the vallejo military sets, can't recall which one right off the top of My head, but I used plain old winshield washer, 2 drops of jet dry and a drop or 2 of liquidtext flow aid... I guess it turend out pretty well for a brush paint thinned out for airbrushing...

but this is what I got out of it.. used an iwata eclipse gravity feed for all that you see.. the black straps were brush painted with the same series of V paints.

great stuff I use them for small stuff now though.

hope this helps you out to some degree

Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
skorpsta
Ghost

rattler loos great!!..and thanks for the info
Old 01-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
Rattler
Doh!

thanks, he's been knocked around a bit what with redoing the work room and shuffling back an forth from group build days lol I should sit down after this damn U-Boat an work on him... maybe get it finished once an for all... hope the info works for you, just have to feel around with it an go with what works out best for ya. oh yeah I was spraying at around 25 psi also, fergot to add that.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #10
skorpsta
Ghost

i wish there was a site where i can get ww2 american military 1/6th 1/7th or 1/8th resin kit figures..the miniatures are kool but to to to small