Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 10-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
dechirico7
The Flash

Sideshow Avengers Scarlet Witch Premium Format

Scarlet Witch Premium Format

Product Summary: Sideshow Collectibles is proud to introduce the newest member of the Marvel Premium Format figure collection, Scarlet Witch. The spectacular Avengers sorceress is presented in stunning 1:4 scale, each piece is hand painted and finished with beautiful attention to detail. Featuring an Avengers themed display base and posable fabric cape, the Scarlet Witch Premium Format figure is an extraordinary addition to any Marvel collection.

Product Information:
Regular ES: 750
Exclusive ES: 300
Exclusive includes "additional switch-out hand with hex power energy"
License: Marvel
Scale: Premium Format™ Figure
Manufacturer: Sideshow Collectibles
Product Size: 19.00" H (482.6mm) x 6" W (152.4mm) x 10" L (254mm)*
Dimensional Weight: 8 lbs*
Artists: Kat Sapene (Paint), Mark Newman (Sculpt), James Lareau (Sculpt), Gidget Earle (Costume), Kristafer Anka (Design), Adam Smith (Development), The Sideshow Collectibles Design and Development Team
Number of pieces: 5 (Base, Body, Right Hand, Portrait and Cape)

"While I live... and until I die... I am an Avenger!" - Scarlet Witch

The ramblings of Dechirico7:

The Review:

Sculpt – 8.5:
I am shocked that this piece isn’t more popular. It is perfectly done. How often do we get production pieces that are exact replicas of the prototypes? Not often enough. Scarlet Witch does! Sideshow and their design team did a great job representing Scarlet Witch in sculpted form.

The base: With the X-Men, I really grew tired of the logo bases. I swear if I see another Frisbee x-base I am going to go crazy! They were too large, took up way too much room…. This base doesn’t. Anyone planning on doing a display with multiple female or Avengers pieces would be able to do so with this piece. Which is how it should be. I think most of us would want to be able to display more than one character piece per shelf.

The body: She isn’t overdone, tacky or sexed up. We had the sexed up version of this character with the comiquette. I am really glad they decided to focus on a more natural body-type for this version.

I’ve tried writing this section of my review many times and there is too much repetition. Three terms kept coming up and it started to sound like a broken record. The three key terms for this sculpt are classic, beautiful and smooth. I am going to focus on a few characteristics that makes this piece stand out.

The pose: It is convincing and gives you the impression that Scarlet Witch is about to throw a hex sphere at you. Perfect. The twist of the body is great. While I still consider this a museum pose, the twist of her legs, torso and upper body/arms really gives her movement. This is how museum pieces should look. The pose is simple but complicated at the same time. It is really engaging if you take the time to enjoy it. The unleveled positions of her arms, the twist of her torso, the layered legs and lifted left heel. It feels developed and thought through.

The clothing: In my opinion, it looks like red, stretchy vinyl. I like the definition in her torso. Mark or James (not sure what sculptor worked on what) gave her some subtle abs and curves. I love how the suit fits her butt in the back. They didn’t give her a thong or overly revealing suit. Just basic lady briefs that expose just the right amount of cheek (lol). So, cute! It is simple, but I love how the seam of the costume rides her backside, great lines. Whomever sculpted that backside knows how to emphasize curves.

Other: I might be the only one, but those knees are adorable. I love those little sculpted lines. They look so real. She has a “wearing tights” feel to her, instead of gathered or wrinkled spandex. I think that ads some contrast between the pink areas of her costume and the red. The red parts of her outfit are sculpted to look like heavier material. The pink areas are the opposite, thin. Very well done.

The portrait: In my opinion, this is the focus of this piece. It is beautiful. I can definitely tell that Mark Newman sculpted this portrait. It reminds me of other portraits he has sculpted for Sideshow. Like Queen of the Dead, Vampirella, Machiko, Gallavarbe, Storm, Shaak Ti and many others. They are not the cookie-cutter, pretty girl faces that we see so often. I love that. They almost have an ethnic and exotic feel to them. There is so much emotion in every one of his portraits. A lot of depth. She looks fierce, determined, questioning and relaxed all at the same time.

I LOVE the hair on this piece. It isn’t the typical, large mass of hair that we have seen on most of the female Sideshow pieces. This one has defined curls that become independent of the main mass.

Paint & Mixed Media - 8.0:
Perfection. The paint apps are clean and beautiful. I like the contrast of the satin/matte finish of the pink areas against the high gloss red areas of her outfit. There are very subtle areas of shading on the red costume that adds some depth.

Can this piece get any better? Definitely.

The cape is a lovely, well sewn piece of vibrant red velvet with a silk-like lining. Nothing less would have worked for this piece. I feel like Sideshow was able to put more effort into the fabric choice, due to the rest of the piece, possibly, being easier to produce. I wish the Darth Talon cape would have been this impressive.

There are wires around the sides and bottom of the cape, allowing you to twist and mold it.

Design - 8.0:
It would be interesting to know where Sideshow got their inspiration for this piece. Was this based on a certain piece of art? Or was it an original concept?

Broadly, the piece captures the spirit and character of Wanda.

Production & Build Quality – 8.5:
As mentioned earlier, this piece was produced perfectly. Casting, paint and tailoring are all really well done. I really don’t see any room for improvement.

Other notes:
If I had more money and space to devote to this hobby…I would probably buy multiples of this piece. I think it would make a great base for so many customs. I bought my Scarlet Witch premium format with the intention to have her customized into Enchantress. I haven’t been able to follow through with those plans yet. I am still on the lookout for someone that would be willing to do the sculpt portion of the custom. If the project does happen, I can see myself buying another one of these pieces to keep as Scarlet Witch. It is really a beautiful piece. The red is really eye catching.

If you are just starting as a premium format collector this would be a great piece to start with. You don’t have to worry much about breakage with this piece. It is solid and doesn’t have many small parts to worry about. It doesn’t take up much space and is impressive on its own.

Sculpt: 8.5
Paint & Mixed Media: 8.0
Design: 8.0
Production & Build Quality: 8.5
Overall: 8.25
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
dechirico7
The Flash

The Base:

Old 10-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
dechirico7
The Flash

Hair sculpt:
Old 10-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
dechirico7
The Flash

Portrait:
Old 10-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
dechirico7
The Flash

The cape:

Old 10-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

I always liked this statue. Thanks for the review!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Great review, Lady D! This is definitely a beautiful piece and a must have for Sideshow Marvel fans. Congrats and thank you for an excellent job.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Wanda is one of those characters that I go back and forth on liking the way she looks in statue form, just because of her costume seeming weird to me at times. I think I still prefer the Bowen Action Variant statue of her though, I really like the power of the pose and the cape spread open more than her just standing in this one (and Bowen's other version of her).
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:11 AM   #9
Thor57
Teen Titans

I like everything on her except the face. Something about the face just screams "Do not want."

A shame, I need a Scarlet Witch for my future 1/4 Avengers roster. Maybe SS will do another, or XM will do one in the future. If not, I've talked to a few customizers about turning the recent Vamperella piece into a SW. She's got a pretty face, and a good pose to boot.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:00 AM   #10
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi Dechirico,
thanks for sharing this great review; I love it!
At the moment I only have the MB of Scarlet Witch from BD in my collection and i think I will add the regular FS to my collection at some point in the future.
I like this PF as well but have almost completely run out of space for such a large statue.

Keep up the good work; you are doing a great job!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote