Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #261
thechon
Doh!

+1 Graham Nolan

Commissioned for a sketch to be picked up at Dallas Comic Con. He refused up front payment. Great communication, lots of progress shots along the way. Pricing was very very reasonable for pencils and inks. A short time later commissioned a sketch on a blank comic cover and turnaround time was only two weeks. Cannot recommend enough.

+1 Daniel HDR

Commissioned a blank comic sketch. Sketch was completed in a very timely manner. Shipping took a while, but he was very up front about life changes and multiple deadlines for DC. Great prices for the quality I received. Very communicative, highly recommended.
thechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #262
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

+1 Graham Nolan - also great experience.
+1 Kelley Jones - got him at SDCC via a friend. Getting him to respond for an at home commission though has been a bit of a challenge.
+1 Ken Lashley. Incredible quality on his art. stay on him and he will churn out something fantastic.
+1 Adelso Corona. Great quality and reasonable prices. Both at home and at show.
+1 MC Wyman. Also great quality for good prices.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #263
prizzy726
The Spirit

+1 (thousand?) Stephane Roux, I recently posted about my experience with him and he completely won me over. Will work with him as much as I can.

+1 Javier Avila, nice guy good, reasonobly priced work.

-1 Tom Hodges, does fine work just a really bad attitude every time I've interactes with him, really turned me off.
prizzy726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #264
Shiz
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Hello!

New to commissioning, but I think I have an addiction now.

Great experience with Herb Trimpe via Jeff Jaworski. I've had a list of ideas I've been thinking about for a decade, things tailored to specific artists, and Mr. Trimpe was the first one I crossed off. I went to NYCC specifically to get some more, but an injury forced me to leave early and not return. I'm still depressed about it.

I'm going to try and color this one myself, and post to CAF when it's finished. My 2nd Commission should be done in February, and I've already been in touch with artists and reps for at least 3 more.
Shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:38 AM   #265
SpectatorGuy
Fantastic Four

+1 Marcio Takara
I have two full figure commissions from him as well as a sketchbook headshot. Marcio posted about his list opening so I sent him an e-mail. Paid and he had it completed within 4 days or so. Lives in Brazil so shipping can take some time but Marcio does his best to package it securely between cardboard sheets.

Marcio is extremely responsive and even sent follow up e-mails to make sure the piece arrives. My only non convention commissions, makes the process very pleasant.
SpectatorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #266
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Sooo how long do you guys typically go with no contact from an artist or his/her rep before hitting the panic buttom after setting up a commission?

Cos Cory Hamchers had me waiting for almost four months now.

Stings all the more seeing him continually post up con sketches online...
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #267
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
Sooo how long do you guys typically go with no contact from an artist or his/her rep before hitting the panic buttom after setting up a commission?

Cos Cory Hamchers had me waiting for almost four months now.

Stings all the more seeing him continually post up con sketches online...
im in a similar boat with another artist. depends on your comfort level.

im surprised cory wouldnt respond. he's always a good dude when i chat with him at cons and ive gotten a few pieces from him over the years.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #268
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

I'm not sure if/how much I've contributed to this thread, but I should add some recent experiences:

+1 Jeff Dekal - great artist, very communicative, humble, friendly. This combination equals me planning to come back to him in the future many times over.

+1 Alex Konat - great artist, pretty communicative on email, timely, friendly, but doesn't attend a lot of cons. I did a commission through the mail, and it was packed professionally and took maybe 3 weeks turnaround all in. Very reasonably priced as well.

+5 (at least) JK Woodward - very reasonably priced, great ink wash and painter, friendly, honest, puts out a good product, communicates. Top notch guy.

+3 V Ken Marion - this guy is going to be a superstar. Highly talented, very friendly, you can get decent pricing, especially in the 9x12 size, very communicative. I've done 1 commission through the mail and 2 pre-shows. Because we shop at the same comic shop in Manhattan, I'll be setting up more stuff in the future. Get in now with him.

+3 Gabriel Hardman - all 3 pre-shows, 2 at C2E2 and 1 at Emerald City. Very quality pieces, good pricing for his level of skill, communicates pretty well on email, and I've never had a problem with him not being done with my pieces ready to pick up on the first day of the con.

+2 Joe Prado - very nice, great on email, heck of a price for the quality, I'll keep coming back to him for more.

+5 Craig Cermak - super nice & humble, very reasonably priced, puts a ton of detail in his commissions, listens to specifics on direction, not always great in responding on email, but he's never disappointed me. Recommended.

+4 Jordan Gunderson - I've always had great luck with him. Very friendly, quality work, prices have gone up over the last 2 years, but he does a good job. Very responsive on email.

+3 Michael Walsh - I've set up 2 pre-show commissions from him and 1 at a show. Quality work for a reasonable price - you get ink wash and fast turn. Extremely nice. Pretty responsive on email.

+6 (or more) Talent Caldwell - hardly responsive at all on email, so I predominantly commission him at shows. I have done a couple things through the mail, though. The guy is a mad scientist, a perfectionist, puts his heart & soul into each piece, super friendly, great artist whether with pencil, ink, or watercolor. Dynamic style. My favorite artist.

+1 Mike Choi - finally got him at C2E2 this year. Very easy process. His art speaks for itself. Despite how great his art is, he's very humble and friendly. I'll try to get as many pieces from him as possible.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #269
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Hi all, new to this community and comic art collecting in general. Figured I would start out by contributing to this thread with my experiences thus far.

+1 Craig Rousseau: My first commission, friendly and prompt, good communication, open to my concept and pulled it off accurately. Initially forgot to mail the original (I got the scan so I knew it actually was finished) but he mailed it promptly after poking, honest mistake, included an issue of Perhapanauts. Would happily do business again.

+1 Andy Smith: Got 2 inked full figures from Andy. Professional, VERY quick, open to concepts. He offered to color the first one (for additional cost, of course) but since he was so quick and pro with the first one I just opted to just commission a second piece instead. Very happy, would happily do business again.

+1 Val Semeiks: This one is still in the mail but the scan is lovely. Good communication and open to the concept. Though he was a bit slower than the others so far (took some poking for updates) he finished the pencils pretty quick when he eventually got going, showed scans of the progress along the way. Very happy.

+1 Rodney Buchemi: Again this one is in the mail but the scan is great. Rodney was prompt and professional and open to the concept, despite (I think) there being a bit of a language barrier he pulled it off wonderfully. Showed lots of scans of progress, and only asked for payment upon completion! (Always nice for us buyers). Very happy, would happily do business again.

Got a dozen or so more in the works, will review them when they are done. Fingers crossed for no -1's!! (Been a lot of radio silence on a couple, so we'll see...)
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #270
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

+1 Jordi Tarragona: Through his rep at http://www.blackdiamondbcn.com, great communication, fast, and affordable. This one is getting mailed out today but the scan is very impressive.
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote