Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
What's wrong with Cap? The last thing I read was Remender's run with the character, and I thought it was awesome.
Different strokes, and to each his own. I couldn't stand what Remender was doing with the book. Just too big a departure from Brubaker's run. Which is fine, different writer, I know. Just not how I like my take on Cap. The whole Kirby-esque sci-fi thing just doesn't work for me.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:48 AM   #12
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Different strokes, and to each his own. I couldn't stand what Remender was doing with the book. Just too big a departure from Brubaker's run. Which is fine, different writer, I know. Just not how I like my take on Cap. The whole Kirby-esque sci-fi thing just doesn't work for me.
I get that actually. I loved Brubaker's run. I think it is still the best way to tell a Captain America story. I can understand why some might not like to see Cap in such contrasting setting after that. Me, I'm a big sci-fi nut. I had fun reading Cap struggle in such an alien environment.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Remender's Cap hasn't worked for me since day # 1. The sci-fi aspect, and now loss of the Super Soldier formula ASAIN! c'mon lets be a little original. Not my cup of tea but if you love it good for you.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:44 AM   #14
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

ı haven't read a solo Cap comic in ages, but I'll check the Brubaker's run with WS.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
Remender's Cap hasn't worked for me since day # 1. The sci-fi aspect, and now loss of the Super Soldier formula ASAIN! c'mon lets be a little original. Not my cup of tea but if you love it good for you.
Totally agree. On both comments. How many times has this Super Soldier serum thing been done? Couple this with Cap's feeling like Iron Man is a traitor over in Avengers for The Illuminati's mind-wiping him and we're back to Civil War. Marvel NOW is just Marvel rehashing old concepts.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
ı haven't read a solo Cap comic in ages, but I'll check the Brubaker's run with WS.
Okay, well, you're in for a treat. Some of the best Cap stories and art ever created.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
I've never bought into originality = good story telling. It's simply good story telling = good story telling. While some aspects of Remender's run aren't completely "original", the tone and pacing of how he writes makes for a fun and enthralling read.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I wasn't ever the biggest Cap fan until I read Brubaker's run, then I became a big fan of the character. When Bru's run ended it almost had to be a different take on the character and stories, for any writer following up that run. I applaud Remender for going there and giving it a shot, but it just has not clicked with me. Maybe a sci-fi aspect could work, just not this one and not for me.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #19
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I have read Cap books on and off over the last 40 years and I have to say that Brubaker and Epting are by far my favorite team on the book. What they did with the story and art was amazing, I would still be buying it if they were still on the book.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I've never bought into originality = good story telling. It's simply good story telling = good story telling. While some aspects of Remender's run aren't completely "original", the tone and pacing of how he writes makes for a fun and enthralling read.
Again, to each his own. While I agree that it's not true that the absolute originality = good storytelling, for me originality is part of good storytelling. If a story is a knock off of something else it loses my interest pretty damn fast.

Been there/done that just doesn't hold my attention.