Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Don't worry, you'll always still be apart of the 'inflexible old guard' to me
Yes, I'm well aware. My comment was made with you in mind.

Last edited by wktf; 10-19-2016 at 11:54 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #12
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Snyder's run goes to issue #51, so if that's what the box set is, then yes (I don't know what the box set contains issue-wise)

And Thor is great. Aaron has done great things with the current run although I'm happy that Odinson is gearing up to (hopefully) get his hammer back based on upcoming solicits
Based on those solicits, looks like he's going after the Ultimate Thor's hammer rather than the true Mjolnir.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:50 AM   #13
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Yes, I'm well aware. My comment was made with you in mind.
figured that

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Based on those solicits, looks like he's going after the Ultimate Thor's hammer rather than the true Mjolnir.
Oh yeah...forgot that 'part'. Well either way, Jane's time has to be coming to an end soon (because of her condition rapidly getting worse -- won't go into anymore for those that aren't current)
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #14
ftrez
Nightwing

Quote:
Snyder's run goes to issue #51, so if that's what the box set is, then yes (I don't know what the box set contains issue-wise)

And Thor is great. Aaron has done great things with the current run although I'm happy that Odinson is gearing up to (hopefully) get his hammer back based on upcoming solicits
Thanks, this is definitely not 51 issues so, If I enjoy these I'll look for the rest of the series. Just checked Amazon and found that the box set includes: BATMAN VOL. 1: THE COURT OF OWLS, BATMAN VOL. 2: CITY OF OWLS and BATMAN VOL. 3: DEATH OF THE FAMILY

Not to derail a Rebirth thread but, as to Thor, I'm a long time fan (since 1974) and have just gone through a process of reading my various Omnibuses, Essential volumes, Epic Collection volumes, trade paperbacks, hardcovers, and single issues to consume the entire run of Thor.

I guess I'm enjoying Aaron's run the most out of the more "modern" Thor titles. I hated Fraction but I found Aaron's God Butcher to be derivative of Jurgens' Desak, Destroyer of Gods. Both had similar motivations and goals. Aaron's use of King Thor, current Thor, and young Thor has been fun though. And the grand daughters. 1 and a half books to go now!
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Jurgens' Thor run is completely unnderrated. It's one of my favorite Thor runs of all time. Love how the effect of separating Thor from his Dr. Blake human element subtly warped and calloused this mind and thinking over time, turning him essentially into a villain. It's one of the big modifications of a character that proves the point about great writing being the driver of great change rather than poorly conceived and written change just to shake up the status quo, the case with both Marvel and DC these last few years.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #16
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

I have liked the art in their books. Having said that the art is almost irrelevant as the storytelling is phenomenal in Rebirth. All the books have been tremendously strong, ironically save JL. Tom King on Batman and Tynion on Detective are killing it. Granted that Monster Men crossover was awful but it was only a few weeks long. The preceding arcs were fabulous and "I am Suicide" sounds to be some of the coolest Bat concepts since the 90's. Honestly I have preferred their stuff to much of Snyder's New 52 run as a longtime Batfan.

Superman is also one of the most enjoyable comics I have read in years.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #17
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

While each is entitled their opinion and its wonderful if you enjoy the run.
However, I unfortunately cant say its phenomenal with the run on sentences and negate the art as inconsequential. The art is what the comic is primarily about, otherwise it wouldn't have art on every page.
Other than the cover art, the interiors look like they were penciled by middle school students.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #18
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
While each is entitled their opinion and its wonderful if you enjoy the run.
However, I unfortunately cant say its phenomenal with the run on sentences and negate the art as inconsequential. The art is what the comic is primarily about, otherwise it wouldn't have art on every page.
Other than the cover art, the interiors look like they were penciled by middle school students.
Ironically, the only book that I feel is guilty of "run on sentences and art by middle school students" is All Star Batman by Snyder and JrJr.

I wish I could write and draw like this when I was in middle school:
Batman King/Janin

Detective Tynion/Barrows

Versus:

All-Star Batman Snyder/JrJr

Last edited by Matches Malone; 10-23-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #19
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Lol, it was merely a metaphor. While it may be above par, including myself, the art is in no way the same league as Lee, Capullo, Finch, etc. Im not saying EVERY issue from EVERY title, but of the titles Ive chosen, its losing me.
Call me spoiled, but I miss the depth and the realism and contrast from the above the pencilers. Im not real familiar with inkers but they are a different breed.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:01 PM   #20
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Lol, it was merely a metaphor. While it may be above par, including myself, the art is in no way the same league as Lee, Capullo, Finch, etc. Im not saying EVERY issue from EVERY title, but of the titles Ive chosen, its losing me.
Call me spoiled, but I miss the depth and the realism and contrast from the above the pencilers. Im not real familiar with inkers but they are a different breed.
I think I just approach comics from the other end of the spectrum. Strong writing/storytelling is primary for me and I can conversely accept/forgive many art styles if the narrative is solid. Books like "Batman:Hush" have unbelievably gorgeous interiors, but such pedestrian storytelling that they are not my first choice. Similarly I loved the Long Halloween but I imagine Tim Sale's art wouldn't appeal to you given the artists you named above. Different strokes for different folks, which is what make comics great I guess.