Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #1
ratchet
Mandarin

I'm not missing something, am I?

This seems like an overreaction - pulling a variant for being too sexy - but the variant truly doesn't seem to be exploiting the character - does anyone really think this cover is over the top?

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-pulls-j-sc...B-P&view=lista
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:51 PM   #2
Luminous
Cyclops

EDIT: Well I decided to do some research on the character to find out what could possibly be the big deal about this cover. It seems to me that all the hubbub stems from the characters age. She's like 15 or something. I don't consider that image "sexy" but I can see how some view it inappropriate to attempt to "sexify" a character of this age. That said, I'm sure people would be complaining even if she was 30. Cuz you know, let's complain about everything.

Last edited by Luminous; 10-21-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:10 AM   #3
Parallax
Nightwing

I strongly disagree with this. It's making it out to be wrong to have a very curvy body. Nobody complains about Supergirl, Starfire, Batgirl, or Spider-Gwen having skin tight clothes on a curvy body and they're all teenagers. People need to learn the difference between sexualized and just a normal body in tight clothing.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
EDIT: Well I decided to do some research on the character to find out what could possibly be the big deal about this cover. It seems to me that all the hubbub stems from the characters age. She's like 15 or something. I don't consider that image "sexy" but I can see how some view it inappropriate to attempt to "sexify" a character of this age. That said, I'm sure people would be complaining even if she was 30. Cuz you know, let's complain about everything.
But it's not like Cambell drew her in a suggestive or even sexy pose - all he really did was give her a half shirt - that's the closest thing I can think of that people are taking umbrage with. People are really complaining about a well known artist drawing a 15 year old wearing a half-shirt?
Old 10-21-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
But it's not like Cambell drew her in a suggestive or even sexy pose - all he really did was give her a half shirt - that's the closest thing I can think of that people are taking umbrage with. People are really complaining about a well known artist drawing a 15 year old wearing a half-shirt?
And the half shirt was from the art/specs he was working off anyway when he drew it

This is nothing more than the latest SJW crusade that'll blow over in 15 seconds. Nothing to see here...
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Someone at a Disney boardroom likely raised a stink and others were probably terrified to say something politically incorrect so they went along with censorship. In another board meeting, another person would have seen this image as empowerment. In the end, it all comes down to what that person was feeling we should all feel that day.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #7
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Someone at a Disney boardroom likely raised a stink and others were probably terrified to say something politically incorrect so they went along with censorship. In another board meeting, another person would have seen this image as empowerment. In the end, it all comes down to what that person was feeling we should all feel that day.
This was due to public reaction based on Midtown revealing their exclusive covers. Midtown pulled it due to bad press...don't think Disney had anything to do with this one
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
This was due to public reaction based on Midtown revealing their exclusive covers. Midtown pulled it due to bad press...don't think Disney had anything to do with this one

The idea is the same though - No one dared to defy the outraged.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I think it is inappropriate for a 15 year old. Not terribly so but pushing it.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I think it is inappropriate for a 15 year old. Not terribly so but pushing it.
So what makes it that way for you? The exposed mid-drif?