Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-23-2016, 02:31 AM   #11
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Amusingly I usually agree with most of these comic controversies. This isn't one I'd really agree with so much. Though I do kind of get it.

It's more the midriff (and its detail), the skin tightness of her outfit and her pose altogether that kind of lends itself to making you look at her crotch area almost in a sort of sexual way.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

I guess in this outraged person's world, 15 year old girls (should) dress more like nuns and are not at all obsessed with their appearance. Too bad no one thought to ask 15 year old girls what they think. I imagine this outraged person has never left his/her cave since 1950. Times are changing, folks. The outraged now believe they can speak for all of us and think they can determine the boundaries of freedom of expression. People need to stand up to the outraged far more often than they do presently otherwise the outraged will continue to believe their opinion carries more weight than others. The era of political correctness and helicopter parenting has become out of control.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #13
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Censorship of this one is as unnecessary as the "Death of the Family" Batgirl cover that got yanked and poor Rafeal Albuquerque got death threats over for its "treatment" of Babs; despite the interior significantly empowering her.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...after-protests
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
So what makes it that way for you? The exposed mid-drif?
The exposed mid-riff, her hips cocked to the side, the way the angles frankly draw the eye's attention to her crotch. I just feel this is over sexualizing a 15 year old girl.

Having three adult kids, all of whom passed through their early/mid teens, having gone through some of the worst a parent could expect (and some a parent should hope not to expect), I've developed some strong opinions on how teens and especially teen girls are portrayed.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:13 AM   #15
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

I think people really need to listen to the "outraged" a bit more. Whether or not you think they're right, they're a part of the consumer base (possibly small, though I'm not so sure as there there's been a push for moral and ethical handling of stuff everywhere IE food, politics and so forth it's not just here). It's what business' do, and have always done. Try to listen to their fanbase.

And it's not like any group online can ACTUALLY force Marvel, DC or anyone to listen to them. It's always the company deciding.

The Albuquerque cover is actually an interesting one in that there were threats of death, yes but not to Albuquerque (though I wouldn't be surprised if he sadly had some too). It was to the people CRITICIZING IT.

And yeah I wasn't a fan of the Albuquerque cover, DC really should've thought over putting a cover parodying or paying homage to a scene of the title character from a story that had her sexually assaulted or otherwise degraded and to this day is heavily argued about, particularly by fans of her character. Especially on a book run that was aimed for women. (Though admittedly I think the biggest issue was that it was on the Batgirl comic. It'd be a bit less of an issue on a Joker comic of some kind, though still a bit in bad taste.)
Old 10-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #16
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
The exposed mid-riff, her hips cocked to the side, the way the angles frankly draw the eye's attention to her crotch. I just feel this is over sexualizing a 15 year old girl.

Having three adult kids, all of whom passed through their early/mid teens, having gone through some of the worst a parent could expect (and some a parent should hope not to expect), I've developed some strong opinions on how teens and especially teen girls are portrayed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotwilight View Post
I think people really need to listen to the "outraged" a bit more. Whether or not you think they're right, they're a part of the consumer base (possibly small, though I'm not so sure as there there's been a push for moral and ethical handling of stuff everywhere IE food, politics and so forth it's not just here). It's what business' do, and have always done. Try to listen to their fanbase.

And it's not like any group online can ACTUALLY force Marvel, DC or anyone to listen to them. It's always the company deciding.

The Albuquerque cover is actually an interesting one in that there were threats of death, yes but not to Albuquerque (though I wouldn't be surprised if he sadly had some too). It was to the people CRITICIZING IT.

And yeah I wasn't a fan of the Albuquerque cover, DC really should've thought over putting a cover parodying or paying homage to a scene of the title character from a story that had her sexually assaulted or otherwise degraded and to this day is heavily argued about, particularly by fans of her character. Especially on a book run that was aimed for women. (Though admittedly I think the biggest issue was that it was on the Batgirl comic. It'd be a bit less of an issue on a Joker comic of some kind, though still a bit in bad taste.)
I can see where you guys are coming from. If I an being honest I truly fall on your side of the argument to boot. I guess for me I see the lamentation of a comic book cover here and there seems so inconsequential/superficial in the face of how young women are treated in things like music/music videos, advertising and pretty much the entire internet. I guess I just put up the white flag where others have drawn a line.

I will go back to the Killing Joke example. DC pulls a single cover that calls back to that story because of fan outrage over how it treated Barbra. A year or two later they release a multi-million follar animated version of the same story that only further denegraes the character.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #17
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Oh yeah, reactions to the animated film of TKJ were pretty negative. Whoo boy.

I mean. Everyone's pretty surprised that it manages to make Batgirl/Barbara even more of a prop to the story than the original (hard to imagine but here we are).

At least in all the circles I frequent. Even folks I know irl are pretty exhausted by it.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #18
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I haven’t followed this story line as I tired a long time ago by the comic trend to change characters to be more diverse, killing off characters, etc. So, I have only heard casually that IM was now female but had no idea she was a teenager. Without knowing that, the cover would have probably drawn pretty much a meh response to me and a general response that JSC draws all females the same way – sexualize them up to sell more copies. I don’t get it, it doesn’t do anything for me but I realize that horse that left the barn long ago. Knowing that she is a teenager, I can totally get where some would not like it. I have 16 and 14 year old daughters so I understand. If my kids saw it I would just use it as an example of how you don’t want to create an image of yourself. No outrage but general disappointment as I don’t think it is needed to sell comics – I realize I am in the minority. If Marvel allowed the cover, they should be open to the feedback (outrage) and react accordingly. I don’t think they had to take it down, but I find myself refreshed that they considered and eventually did. There has to be a line that can't be crossed - I am all for finding it now as opposed to later.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #19
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I would not want my teenage daughter dressed, posing or looking this way.

Last edited by wktf; 10-24-2016 at 02:34 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:56 AM   #20
ratchet
Mandarin

Personally, I would want my daughter to look, dress and pose however she feels comfortable. If I raised her to dress with the confidence that this character displays then I'd like to think I did something right. I guess that's just me...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote