Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 01-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #51
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
My wife is totally supportive. She loves showing off my man cave and, like Keith's experiences, people who see my statue/art/prop display are blown away by it.
Man..Wish my wife felt that way! I've been kidded at work from co-workers that call my statues toys or dolls..My wife thinks its a wast of money and time.( from her) family and friends are mix..You know what I feel about it? you don't like my statues..
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #52
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Bowen pieces display so nicely as a collection. They're well designed, generally consistent in style and scale, colorful, and iconic. While I prefer 1:4 scale overall Bowen scale is more display friendly. I'm able to put out about 90% of the BD collection, whereas almost half of my SS pieces are still boxed up until we decide on our next move. Probably a 200-300 people have gone through the collection room over the years, and they probably spend the most time looking at the Bowens. Although TBH that's because at the time the cabinetry was all custom built to house those pieces. I've had to retrofit 1:4 scale in. My wife keeps bugging me about all the new stuff coming in, and I say "I've got a plan", which I will as soon as we start looking at houses or if we decide to build new.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:33 AM   #53
eljefe1981
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.
Adamantium Plus Member

A lot of people are selling because even though they are beautiful statues the price is going down because it seems rocky vault is bring down the value in the demand when they put last one in then 2 weeks later have 10 more in stock in put AP on them it is hard to believe so a lot of people lose faith in bowen I will keep mine for now I love how they display in look
eljefe1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:42 AM   #54
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I have a feeling Randy would be worried about this.

One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #55
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Bowen obviously was one of the trailblazers in this hobby, and as he's grown, statue production as grown. This means more competition, scales, more characters, etc. The market place is just cluttered with statues across genres.

People have to make hard choices, and sometimes the older, less valuable pieces find their way to the bay. I also think some people just sell their pieces because some just command a good piece of change.

Everyone sells for different reasons. I've bought very smart when it comes to statues - I've always collected what I like, and not focused on being a completest, which I'm very happy about.

I still have every BD statue I've bought - which is about 40 I think. And I love them all. There's a couple of pieces I might sell soon, but it would likely only be 4-5 pieces. And that's a MAYBE.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #56
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I'm just glad no one makes 1/4 scale with the comic accuracy that Bowen does. I'd be in big trouble.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #57
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

I have been listing a few older Bowen pieces simply because I want to thin out my/our collections again. Having said that interest has been minimal at below cost prices on the older or common pieces like Black Widow and Wolverine.

Bowen pieces are great in that you can have 4-6 in the display area a single 1/4 piece would occupy for an amazing team/battle/universe display. Additionally the pieces lend themselves to different themes based on the angle one choses.

With Marvel, I have always collected my favorite pieces of my favorite characters and BD has afforded me a very cool "Marvel U" set up.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:39 AM   #58
danteipp
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
Bowen pieces display so nicely as a collection. They're well designed, generally consistent in style and scale, colorful, and iconic. While I prefer 1:4 scale overall Bowen scale is more display friendly. I'm able to put out about 90% of the BD collection, whereas almost half of my SS pieces are still boxed up until we decide on our next move. Probably a 200-300 people have gone through the collection room over the years, and they probably spend the most time looking at the Bowens. Although TBH that's because at the time the cabinetry was all custom built to house those pieces. I've had to retrofit 1:4 scale in. My wife keeps bugging me about all the new stuff coming in, and I say "I've got a plan", which I will as soon as we start looking at houses or if we decide to build new.
Lol, this post could have been written by me. Great summary.

I have the majority of my BD statues (and custom and Gabriel Luna statues) out and on display either at home or at the office, however, I probably only have about 20% of my Sideshow statues displayed.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to get all those SS pieces out and organized. And maybe it is because I started displaying (and had space prepared and cleared) for all of the BD statues before I gravitated towards Sideshow.

So, while I might end up selling off a few extraneous BD statues of characters I do not love, I am confident that unless I am forced to, due to a life change or finances, I will probably retain 90% of my BD statues and add a few select pieces along the way - especially if I can get them cheaper now.

It is interesting that like others have said, when people step into my office and look over my statues, many of them seem to prefer the clean lines and look of the BD and Gabriel Luna sculpts. I guess for many people, especially those who are not hardcore comic fans or creative types (and I work in one of the most sterile environments imaginable), they prefer a basic look and do not appreciate the intricacies of the SS sculpts.

Of course I appreciate both, for their differences and individual strengths and flaws, and hope to be able to keep collecting them all for years to come.
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #59
Suarez11
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
That's not the real reason though. If I had a massive collection of Bowen statues that I had to sell, I'd come up with a reason like that too, but the sellers as well as we ourselves all know it's because the Bowen aftermarket value is decreasing big time.

Of course sellers are gonna come up with the usual cliché excuse for selling off their unpopular collections. I would.

No one will ever say in their listing, "I'm selling off my entire collection because I've come to realize that the aftermarket value no longer exists."

I can only speak for myself but I can tell you with certainty that was not the case for me selling some of my statues.
Suarez11 is offline   Reply With Quote