Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #131
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I just realized I have a New Mutants 98 signed by Liefeld and Nicenza (sp?). Seems like CBCS might be the way to go for this one
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #132
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
CGC is offering onsite grading at Baltimore. That means you can drop off and pick up there. It is possible they get too many comics to grade and then they have to ship back. But if you drop off early enough you should be fine. I believe the only difference in price with dropping off is saving on shipping. Which is actually pretty expensive.
Wow, great news. I might have to pack up a few NM98's for the show. Any idea what cost on these would be (for con budgeting purposes?)

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #133
xforce
Hydra

Did a CBCS slab for a fre comics at Rhode Island comic con 2015, took about 3 months but was painless
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 AM   #134
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Wow, great news. I might have to pack up a few NM98's for the show. Any idea what cost on these would be (for con budgeting purposes?)
I posted my feelings on the CGC experience here:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=139646

It might be of assistance. Also, know that they changed the cases twice in the last few months. I haven't checked their forum for the verdict on the 2nd version of the new case yet. But from what I understand, CGC seems to know that their older cases aren't as vibrant as the ones from the CBCS. The 1st version of CGC's new case had waves and Newton ring problems. The 2nd version is supposed to fix that by going back to the well design but keeping the clearer case material.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #135
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

I remember that thread and just bumped it for the topic of the new cases. I am most interested in price point for getting grading done at a show at this point.

CAF
Old 07-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #136
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
I remember that thread and just bumped it for the topic of the new cases. I am most interested in price point for getting grading done at a show at this point.
I remember when I looked into grading, the cost of going to the convention (ticket price, parking price, drive costs, time waiting for the convention to happen, and time at the convention itself) off set the price of just sending the comics in. Perhaps it will be different for you. Also as I was new to grading, the idea of comics graded and cased at a convention seemed odd to me. As back then I thought it was done in a clean room type area.

Of course, there is the concern of sending the comics in so that CGC will get them in the condition you sent them. But packing properly isn't that difficult.

I'll look into the new cases tonight. I was fairly settled on CBCS for some older graded comics. For the brighter case and at times cheaper prices that I've seen, since CBCS doesn't seem to get some of the CGC premium yet.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #137
Wombat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

The general verdict on the new cases is good. People went from rioting to pretty much nothing. Take that for what is it worth. Plenty of discussion on the CGC forum.

It is only worth it to get grading at a con if you were going anyway. It will never offset the price of just mailing it in.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #138
Wombat

Quote:
Prices for onsite grading.

Modern $30
Economy $55
Standard $90
Express $140
Walkthru $250 min

It would depend on the value of the comic and what age as to which one you would pay for.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:15 AM   #139
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
The general verdict on the new cases is good. People went from rioting to pretty much nothing. Take that for what is it worth. Plenty of discussion on the CGC forum.

It is only worth it to get grading at a con if you were going anyway. It will never offset the price of just mailing it in.
yep, already going to the show, considering taking a few books.

Quote:
Prices for onsite grading.

Modern $30
Economy $55
Standard $90
Express $140
Walkthru $250 min

It would depend on the value of the comic and what age as to which one you would pay for.
NM98 - is that a modern book?

I don't understand the other categories - they sounds like options for mailing in

CAF
Old 07-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #140
Wombat

Its confusing. But it also has to do with the value of the comic. Check out the CGC website.

https://www.cgccomics.com/services/Services.aspx

And yes, they charge more for onsite than they do for mail in. The other option is to drop it off at the con and have them mail it back to you. You at least save money on shipping to them and don't have to worry about how well you pack them.