Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-28-2016, 05:36 AM   #1
Das Brutah
The Avengers

Batman Rebirth - Plane Crash????

Batman preventing a plane crash is exactly what is wrong with comics. I'll agree the idea is relatively unique for Batman. I give credit for tossing new and different "challenges" at his character.

A famous phrase comes to mind "This is a job for Superman..." I don't want to see Batman doing this.

What happened to being a detective? The Batman I grew up loving was pulled into the dark, unexplainable, occult weird storylines. Yes, there were larger and more expansive "problems" that would extend beyond the confines of Gotham. Even these had an air of the weird, combined with a James Bond type feel. Throw in a super villain for an issue or short arc, and then back to the strange type of cases that made up the Batman universe.

I liked Snyder's run on Batman. The Owls run was great (minus the Wayne abandoned brother which should never be mentioned again...). My problem is the stories are too big, the scope of effect too large. Riddler taking over a city and effectively closing it down for how long? Big and over the top does not equal quality. I believe the in the back alleys, from the shadows, eerie slant is not consistently used enough, and is once again getting away from a core pillar that not only defines the character, but is also the perspective from which the character works best.
Das Brutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Brutah View Post
Batman preventing a plane crash is exactly what is wrong with comics. I'll agree the idea is relatively unique for Batman. I give credit for tossing new and different "challenges" at his character.

A famous phrase comes to mind "This is a job for Superman..." I don't want to see Batman doing this.

What happened to being a detective? The Batman I grew up loving was pulled into the dark, weird, unexplainable, occult weird storylines. Yes, there were larger and more expansive "problems" that would extend beyond the confines of Gotham. Even these has an air of the weird combined with a James Bond type feel. Throw in a super villain for an issue or shirt arc, and then back to the strange type if cases that made up the Natman universe.

I liked Snyder's run on Batman. The Owls run was great (minus the Wayne abandoned brother which should never be mentioned again...). My problem is the stories are too big, the scope of effect too large. Riddler taking over a city and effectively closing it down for how long? Big and over the top does not equal quality. I believe the in the back alleys, from the shadows, eerie slant is not consistently used enough, and is once again getting away from a core pillar that not only defines the character, but is also the perspective from which the character works best.
This has been a problem in comics since the 90s. I would imagine that most new writers and fans have little memory of comics not being written like this. The major issue I have with comics today is with the lack of consistency. It's virtually impossible to pick up a book today and have a general idea of what's going on. Teams, powers, costumes, personalities, virtually every aspect of the comic reading experience seems to be in a constant state of flux to the point where some characters have become unrecognizable.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
Parallax
Nightwing

The whole point of the issue is that Batman was trying to save Gotham in a way that he isn't capable of doing. He was going to die to save the plane from crashing. Catching a plane is no sweat for Superman, but for Batman it's life threatening. A single issue of Batman doesn't imply that the entire arc is going to be that way. The entire New 52 run on Batman was detective oriented. Now we have one issue that has him stop a plane crash and you're worried about the scope of the entire Rebirth one. Keep in mind it's Batman that found the Watchmen button. It's Batman who is going to be working with Barry to uncover the Watchmen and Doctor Manhattan story.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Das Brutah
The Avengers

To be clear, my post is not poo pooing rebirth based on one story. I am expressing my fan opinion and concern the theme of the more recent stories do not utilize the types of dark, twisty, weird elements that helped define the character.

I completely respect the approach of this story and the use of the character going above his limits and willingness to sacrifice himself for others. The struggle to push beyond himself, to find that extra gear through determination, training, contingency planning, strategy, sometimes luck or a little help from a sidekick are the things that help make Batman a great character. My issue is the over the top, world changing scenario (at least this was limited to one issue and not a 12-15 issue story arc) is becoming the norm and doesn't feel like Batman, or at least the Batman I've come to enjoy.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #5
Parallax
Nightwing

Well now we have this new Gotham hero team. They're becoming Superman for Gotham. I'm willing to bet right now they turn out to be villains. That's besides the point though. I think the whole point of this run is to show that you don't need to be like Superman to protect your city.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:25 AM   #6
Das Brutah
The Avengers

That's all the Batman storyline needs, a new set of flying super powered heroes in Gotham. Do you know what the Batman universe needs less than this? Him battling super power flying supervillans....
Old 06-29-2016, 03:29 AM   #7
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Brutah View Post
I thought this a far stretch for Bats as well. As much of a fan as I am, I was just as much WTH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
I think the whole point of this run is to show that you don't need to be like Superman to protect your city.
Why would DC all of a sudden feel this to be a need?
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

This issue jumped the shark for me. Between his cliched line of "It's my city. I'll save it," to landing the plane riding cowboy on top, to the new Super Friends, it just had me rolling my eyes.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #9
Parallax
Nightwing

I didn't say DC feels it to be a need. I said it's going to show that superhumans don't always do the job better.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

^No I got that, I just meant why would DC chose that as a plot? Why now?
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote