Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
dechirico7
The Flash

Harley Quinn Comic

Has anyone ready #0 and #1?
How is the art and story?
I am thinking about subscribing to this series.

Also, I am into female-based comics and enjoy Batman titles.
What DC series would you recommend?
I heard Wonder Woman is great.
Should I get Wonder Woman over Batgirl, Batwoman and Catwoman?
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

I haven't had a chance to read issue #1, but #0 was pretty entertaining. It didn't have much of a story since the whole premise was that Harley was squabbling with the writers about finding an artist for the series.

Definitely check out Wonder Woman, as it's probably the best comic DC is publishing these days. Batwoman was good, but the previous writers left the book abruptly after DC kept interfering with their long-term plans. The new writer is basically starting fresh without finishing the previous story. Catwoman is terrible. Batgirl has some pretty hardcore fans, but I've never enjoyed it as much as some of Gail Simone's other work. You might give Secret Six a look. It's been over for a couple years, but it had some great female leads and dealt pretty heavily with the Batman universe at times.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksplode View Post
I haven't had a chance to read issue #1, but #0 was pretty entertaining. It didn't have much of a story since the whole premise was that Harley was squabbling with the writers about finding an artist for the series.

Definitely check out Wonder Woman, as it's probably the best comic DC is publishing these days. Batwoman was good, but the previous writers left the book abruptly after DC kept interfering with their long-term plans. The new writer is basically starting fresh without finishing the previous story. Catwoman is terrible. Batgirl has some pretty hardcore fans, but I've never enjoyed it as much as some of Gail Simone's other work. You might give Secret Six a look. It's been over for a couple years, but it had some great female leads and dealt pretty heavily with the Batman universe at times.
I've been reading some online reviews of Harley #1 and they don't sound too promising. Sounds like #0 was good. They label the series as DC's version of Deadpool and that it is more animated. Not sure I would like that. I will definitely check out Wonder Woman. Was never a fan, but I am hoping the books convert me. I'll look into Secret Six too.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Macethy
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

#0 was pretty decent, this coming from someone who doesn't really like Harley Quinn much. Still waiting for issue #1, will give the series about six issues before I decide to keep it or not.
Macethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

I would recommend getting the Perez Wonder Woman tpbs, i.e., issues 1-24 to start. By far, the best run on WW ever -- Well written and beautiful.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Wonder Woman is Excellent.

if youwant a gr8 female - lead comic, i'd recomment Lazarus from Image by Greg Rucka n Michael Lark.

I find Saga also a great book, but i don't know if i'd call it as a woman centric book, but give it a shot, it has great female characters!
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Your research was correct in that Harley has this "breaking the 4th wall" thing going on ala Deadpool. I cannot say enough about Wonder Woman, an incredibly strong book and my favorite DC piece. Batgirl is mediocre at best and Catwoman is awful. To be honest the initial New 52 Batwoman book was a very compelling read and that says a lot coming from me as I am not a huge fan of the character.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

I picked up & read #0, but I just didn't like it. I get that DC has graduated the character to be all Arkum game in their new delivery, but I love the Bruce Timm version & feel, with this new version, that they've jettisoned a classic.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
built2shred
Phoenix

Wonder Woman is really good story wise, i'm not a big fan of the art though. This comic is also more or less separated form the other comics as it only deals with WW mythology back story, so far anyways

Catwoman started out really good, I liked the doll maker story arc but once they started doing supernatural stories it started to go down hill fast IMO.

I gave up on Batwoman, I didn't care for the supernatural direction this comic was going in. With the new writers it looks like they're moving away from that so I'll probably give it another shot.

Batgirl is really good, the story arc's have been pretty strong and is my 2nd favorite comic (with a female lead) behind WW (story wise).

Supergirl is average, it's not bad but it's not great either... If your a fan of the character you might give it a shot.

Worlds Finest (Power Girl & Huntress) is ok, it's like Supergirl, not bad but not great either...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I picked up & read #0, but I just didn't like it. I get that DC has graduated the character to be all Arkum game in their new delivery, but I love the Bruce Timm version & feel, with this new version, that they've jettisoned a classic.
I haven't read the latest Harley, but I do like her character in New 52 Suicide Squad, where the old Harley seem to be just a side kick for the Joker the new 52 one has a lot of personality and can stand on her own without the need of the Joker to carry her.

I'm not sure if she can carry her own comic though, but I'll give it a shot for a few months to see how it goes...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote