Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 02-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #311
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Well, when bidding withing the final 10 seconds of an auction, this gives no inexperienced newbie, a shill bidder or simply another collector the oportunity to respond to your bid. Also, many times have I been in the final moments of an auction, when another bidder is egged on by my bid, and the price I pay for the item shoots up immediately as another bidder believes he will outbid me. All that happens in that case is that he still loses, and I pay more for the item. It can save quite a few dollars in the end. It's as simple as that. Anyway,this is getting far off the topic of this thread.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #312
NYGman
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Well, when bidding withing the final 10 seconds of an auction, this gives no inexperienced newbie, a shill bidder or simply another collector the oportunity to respond to your bid. Also, many times have I been in the final moments of an auction, when another bidder is egged on by my bid, and the price I pay for the item shoots up immediately as another bidder believes he will outbid me. All that happens in that case is that he still loses, and I pay more for the item. It can save quite a few dollars in the end. It's as simple as that. Anyway,this is getting far off the topic of this thread.

Ooops, my apologies for the thread hi-jack
NYGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #313
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGman View Post
Ooops, my apologies for the thread hi-jack
It happens every day here. No biggie. I've just been trying to be more aware when I become part of it lately.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #314
misbitski
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Not to mention you guys shouldn't be discussing how much you're willing to bid

There are a couple of these on Ebay right now. I'm tempted to list mine, but I love this statue. I just don't know if I want two surfers now that the BD piece is coming out. Anybody else in the same predicament?
misbitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #315
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGman View Post
I must disagree, its not the only way to go. It's a VERY simple formulae; bid WHAT YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY and leave it at that I just don't understand why sniping matters, I don't?

If you are obsessive compulsive, and just have to have it, then you are already a poor shopper, fiscally speaking. However, if a piece has a solid market average of prices paid (like the great GPA site for CGC books) and YOU know what you're willing to spend on the piece, then who gives a flyin you know what about the snipers?

If i'm willing to pay $200 for something, then I can put that $$$ in the minute the auction starts, and if you're outbid, well...you should be perfectly happy with that, given you knew what you'd pay for it from minute one. Lots of morons overpay for stuff, you should not get sucked in, another WILL appear eventually.

I just don't get why so many don't follow this protocol...its bizarre

Again, I know I'm off topic with this but just to show how bad Ebay is (if you don't snipe)...I had highest bid on the Surfer ..someone out bid me..which is fine. But now he retracted his bid and knows what my top off was, and can now go back and bid at the last minute, with only an extra penny and beat me out, only beacuse he knows what I was bidding. so your theory has a huge flaw..called Bid Retraction!
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote