Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Chronicle Collectibles

Old 08-25-2018, 11:20 PM   #471
tamaboy311
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjszar View Post
I just made my own. Never saw a wash for sale anywhere. It describes a technique more than anything. I used acrylic paints, so you just pour out some thinner in a cup. Add a drop or two of whatever color you want to use. It has to be like you're painting with milk.

With so many crevices, the wash does the work for you. All you have to do is dip the brush and let it get nice and wet. Just pick a spot and touch the brush to it. The super thin paint just runs into all the crevices. It quickly dries and leaves all the low points highlighted.
great tip man, thanks a lot. may i ask what color you used?
tamaboy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:25 PM   #472
tamaboy311
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLikesDinos View Post
Glad I skipped this one, the paint doesn't look great in general for the price, and it's way off from the classic Jurassic Rex.

It's too bad, as the Chronicle JP Raptor is perfection manifested in statue form. I can't get over how amazing that looks. Hoping future busts skew that way instead!
i think this is indeed the color is just that at night the detail doesn't show as much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-rex19931.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	116584   Click image for larger version

Name:	t-rex-jurassic-park-1993-BNPXEG.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	116585  
Old 08-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #473
rjszar
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaboy311 View Post
great tip man, thanks a lot. may i ask what color you used?
I used a couple of different browns and a green. You aren't trying to match the color that is already there per se. You want something that is a few shades darker (or lighter) so that it stands out. As I said before the dab and run technique works great for something like this, especially the pebbled jaw, and the fact that the piece can be put on a table snout up really helps.

If you are looking to darken (or lighten like I did with the spots) the entire surface, just brush over everything like you normally would. The paint will still want to settle in the grooves because it is so thin, but you will get adhesion to the raised surfaces as well.

The other way to highlight is dry brushing. This time you are doing the raised surfaces instead of the crevices. You dip your brush in paint and wipe most of it off. Lightly stroke it back and forth sort of the way a woman applies blush to her cheeks.
rjszar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #474
rjszar
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
i think this is indeed the color is just that at night the detail doesn't show as much.
You're probably right. I know people debate the color of this all the time.......green/brown, light/dark, cgi/animatronic. I just wanted something representative of what I generally saw in the movie.

I certainly love the way that is painted, especially how mush contrast is in the jaw. As I said before, a dark was can really make things pop, but that's not the way it ultimately comes across on the screen, whether it be the bright lights or whatever.
rjszar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #475
Steve evans
The Spirit

Any chance of someone who has one of these taking a few photos outside, without artificial light?
Steve evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #476
tamaboy311
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve evans View Post
Any chance of someone who has one of these taking a few photos outside, without artificial light?
rjszar posted 2.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #477
Steve evans
The Spirit

Quote:
rjszar posted 2.
ahh, thank you, I didn't see them.
Steve evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #478
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
That's the look right there. Should have done some before pics the same.

Compared to the inspiration so far the production pics look like a cake half baked.
I have to agree :/. Still waiting for my 1st must buy CC piece.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #479
ChrisLikesDinos
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjszar View Post
This cannot be one of the ones used. That paint job looks way too dark. Maybe this was a test.
It's the one they used - that image you posted is misleading from the lighting and exposure.

Check it out here:

Her look on the film was also slightly effected due to the use of blue lights on set for night photography, and color correction.

Further, the animatronic skins colors were slightly muddied due to the artificial rain. That said, the final look is much closer to the image I posted than this collectible.
ChrisLikesDinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:45 AM   #480
CAIN MKII
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Would have made more sense if all these were posted in the 1:5 female T-rex BUST thread
CAIN MKII is offline   Reply With Quote