Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

"Ugh" Time For The Bi-Annual Collection Clean Up.

About every 2 years, I attempt to roll in the comics I've purchased over the last years into my collection. I'm now up to 34 long-boxes & this job, after my day, can take around a week. I alphabetize my by title (rolling in weird titled, connected mini-series & off-shoots) & number them in order, while rolling in my newer books into the mix. This makes the constant renumbering of DC & Marvel books a real bi%&c, because you have to figure which new number 1 & so on came before the last restart. I pull the books I want to have slabbed along w/ other books I may wanna sell & separate them in a separate box. I have an additional box for just silver. I also try & purge crap-books into at least 1 or 2 long boxes to sell for a quarter at future garage ales or donate to a charity. I have shelves for the boxes, but I tell you, lifting to the top shelf & one below, can kill you. In the back of my mind, more & more every 2 years, I think "what the hell am I doing with so many damn comics." Collecting since the mid 70's has taken it's toll. Who else has mega-collections & how do you organize?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I haven't done this in years and don't want to think about doing it. I don't buy like I used to but it still adds up. Good luck with the project!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

Swear, but I'm not about to check, but over the past 20 years there's probably been 15-20 Avengers, Spiderman, Capt. America, etc ... re-launches, #1's, & so on. W/ most, while reorganizing, you have to flip the book open, which involves opening the bag, & checking the publ. date. An enormous p.i.a. & the soul reason why I'm so sick of this now decades old trend.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Why do you wait so long to integrate the new comic purchases? Why not add them into your already sorted/organized collection every week (or however often you buy new comics)?
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
jeremydmc
Black Panther

I have about 2 years worth of new purchases to organize and sort and store as well. I have 36 drawer pull boxes right now. 2 moves in the last 2 years have placed it on the back burner. I really need to get through it all but I never seem to have the time. Maybe after I get through all of my statues I can start on it. LOL
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
adee
Green Arrow

Whew sounds like a lot of work! I stopped buying in that manner many years ago when I left home and there was no way I was taking the boxes with me.

Of course they magically disappeared from the garage. Luckily I kept my best but oh so many Spidey and X men were lost.

Today I just have 3 boxes and I'm pretty meticulous with them.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
whd
Suicide Squad

I've got 97 Marvel, 66 DC and @ 70 Dark Horse/Image/independents, but they're all short boxes. I never seem to get to point where I'm organized the way I would like.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
Why do you wait so long to integrate the new comic purchases? Why not add them into your already sorted/organized collection every week (or however often you buy new comics)?
Because its such an enormous undertaking to pull long boxes from the upper 2 shelves, which both are above my head (not to mention, shlugging them back up). I do keep my new comics (the 2 years worth) alpha & in order so when I do get around to it, I can more easily roll them in. + after 2 years, I have close to another full long-box full of comics to roll in. That means I have to make room for the new books which entails shifting the end of one box into the front of the next & so on. Sure, I leave a couple of inches in each box, but that room gets quickly eaten up. This process gives me the opportunity to go through me entire collection &, bi-annually, really see all the books I have. Now, I'm ready to pull the books I know are turds, or worthless, or I know I'll never want to read again. I can also find the hidden gems that have recently bumped up hugely (* Avenging Spiderman 9) & sell them while the iron's hot. If I had waist-level access to my collection or even just easy access, I'd stay on it more easily.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Because its such an enormous undertaking to pull long boxes from the upper 2 shelves, which both are above my head (not to mention, shlugging them back up). I do keep my new comics (the 2 years worth) alpha & in order so when I do get around to it, I can more easily roll them in. + after 2 years, I have close to another full long-box full of comics to roll in. That means I have to make room for the new books which entails shifting the end of one box into the front of the next & so on. Sure, I leave a couple of inches in each box, but that room gets quickly eaten up. This process gives me the opportunity to go through me entire collection &, bi-annually, really see all the books I have. Now, I'm ready to pull the books I know are turds, or worthless, or I know I'll never want to read again. I can also find the hidden gems that have recently bumped up hugely (* Avenging Spiderman 9) & sell them while the iron's hot. If I had waist-level access to my collection or even just easy access, I'd stay on it more easily.
Aha, gotcha!

For the ones you're removing from your collection, don't forget that children's hospitals and the military accepts comic donations (and both greatly appreciate them)!
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #10
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
Aha, gotcha!

For the ones you're removing from your collection, don't forget that children's hospitals and the military accepts comic donations (and both greatly appreciate them)!

I live near Walter Reed Army Medical Hosp. & a Col. buddy of mine takes them in for me from time to time.