Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #101
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Sideshow Edition Sizes are a lot higher then Yamato or Koto...

Like others have said, the biggest issue with PVC is perception, people link PVC with cheap plastic toys.... All I know is when I did get the MOS PF, when I held the body it felt like a plastic Barbie doll, it even bended a bit... It felt so cheap.... that's the legacy of PVC so trying to get people to think that PVC is superior to Polystone or Cold Cast Porcelain is a up hill battle IMO.
That isn't true of Koto PVC pieces. Kotos runs are huge on the ArtFX and Artfx+, they actually have to bebin order for them to price them the way they do.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #102
prototypy
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Voltron is polystone almost,thank you.
prototypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:45 AM   #103
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
That's not really the case though, Although Hot Toys and Bltizway can make realistic looking portraits in PVC, so can Iron Studios with Polystone, Gentle Giant Artemisia and Black Widow were also really great polystone portraits.
I can't speak for Iron Studios, but I'm familiar with Gentle Giant's Artemisia and Black Widow, and though they're both fantastic statues, I don't think either of them hold a candle to Blitzway's Marilyn Monroe, or their new Basic Instinct piece.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #104
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoburger View Post
I can't speak for Iron Studios, but I'm familiar with Gentle Giant's Artemisia and Black Widow, and though they're both fantastic statues, I don't think either of them hold a candle to Blitzway's Marilyn Monroe, or their new Basic Instinct piece.
True, there not quite on the same level as far as realism goes (skin texture, which seems easier to do with PVC) but then again both Marilyn Monroe and Sharon Stone "look" more like high-end dolls then statues because of it, especially with the mix media. That's not a bad thing but if you want a more pure statue/stone look then polystone and full sculpt are the way to go IMO.

That said, I do own blitzway statues which I display in my movie room and my friends and family think they look awesome since they go really well with the Hollywood theme I have in that room.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #105
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
That isn't true of Koto PVC pieces. Kotos runs are huge on the ArtFX and Artfx+, they actually have to bebin order for them to price them the way they do.
I was talking about their 1/6 scale lines. Although I didn't think their Artfx+ lines were that popular but I guess I'm wrong, although those are open edition sizes so who really knows..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #106
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwinter92 View Post
PVC also has different grades and different types/compositions for different purposes.

PVC does not look as good as resin for 1/4 scale stuff from what I have seen just due to the matte smooth nature of the material that does not bring out the vibrancy of paintwork as well as polystone/resin.

However, that's not to say it doesn't have its uses. Due to the softer nature of the material, figures can look more natural and less rigid. Extremely complex sculpts especially in the sculpting of Hair strands can be made possible with pvc.
At a high level of replication, face sculpts for figures can even look downright realistic. One of my Favourite pvc companies is gecco and every sculpt I have from them is awesome. Polystone can't compare to pvc in this aspect at all, only prime 1's translucent resin is similar or better.

So imo, usage of pvc for 1/6 scales to obtain exceeding detail is perfectly fine if the quality of pvc used is very good. The type that doesn't shine in the light, has a matte look, is smooth to the touch doesn't degrade or turn yellow over time and is highly resistant to temperature. The pvc industry has come a Long way and it's down to companies to invest in the correct quality instead of skimping out.

Some e.g. of lousy pvc products, robin's body from tsume robin statue
Some e.g. of gd pvc companies, jap companies alter/flare/amakuni/gecco

Thanks for the insight, a lot of good info. My biggest concern as well with PVC is how long it will last? I know polystone isn't supposed to be in too hot temps or in sunlight, but it seems like PVC even more so along with cold? So you could potentially permanently damage the statue if you lose power for a couple days in the winter? It's also a mental thing I guess, I've had 2 polystone or resin statues with leans(1/4 SS Superman PF and Koto 1/6 Danger Room Psylocke) out of around 70+ and I only have a handful of PVC so I can't say personally how they hold up although I've had no problems.

Even if I knew SS was using high quality PVC, in my mind I'm thinking it won't hold up as well long term especially if they're larger 1/4 statues. What's your opinion on this?
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #107
Blacksunn
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
LMFAOOOOOOO!! yes I'm familiar with CFRP but dude that's such a ridiculous stretch to call the carbon fiber that goes into these supercars somehow "plastic" just to make a point. but if it makes you feel smarter by sharing a link then I hope you have a super cool day LOL!!
I don't think he was trying to make a point. It is what it is... Plastic.... a VERY strong light weight plastic. I LOVE it, on my car as a substantial weight savings but not my statues.........
Blacksunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #108
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
I was talking about their 1/6 scale lines. Although I didn't think their Artfx+ lines were that popular but I guess I'm wrong, although those are open edition sizes so who really knows..
Well the Artfx is 1/6 pvc, I'm assuming you're talking about the fineart line in which case that is cold cast porcelain, and yes has a lower edition size.

Either way I've never found anything Koto does to be that amazing, though I'm sure some would disagree, same with yamato who also has both PVC and polystone/coldcast pieces.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #109
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunn View Post
I don't think he was trying to make a point. It is what it is... Plastic.... a VERY strong light weight plastic. I LOVE it, on my car as a substantial weight savings but not my statues.........
This,^^^^^
If I want plastic or PVC/schedule 80 lol
I'd buy an action figure.

The release of the Predator LSB and other pieces that have came out with cheaper materials is not acceptable.
Everyone on the forums that is tired of some of us beotching- well there are reasons for it. You can't expect a big bump and random bump in pricing to not piss collectors off. Especially when the reasoning is literally BS. They take short cuts and cherry pick which PF character will cost 500 or 700 or whatever.
None of this changes the fact that we are all here to collect and enjoy a hobby. If certain things don't effect you- pricing, QC, ES, materials- then read on. But the fact is they are outpricing the expected quality of the products we buy.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #110
Gecktechs
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Just playing devil's advocate here..

Lets say every statue you received from Sideshow came out flawless - A 100% match to the prototype. Looked like Casey Love just finished painting that sh!t. Nothing looked cheap or toyish, BUT it was made of plastic and weighs 8 pounds.. How would you guys react to that?
Gecktechs is offline   Reply With Quote