Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #11
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I can say this as I just moved and the boxes were invaluable for that move. Also as others have said its going to make it a pain to sell anything in the future. Statues are already selling under retail and expect at least 20% less with out the OG box. Have you tried saying chucking the boxes of say the 1/10th scale's if you have any? I know I got rid of some of my Kotobukiya 1/10th boxes. Also sell your dupes if you can. Then I would look at outliers in your collection maybe get a more focused theme. I used to scoff at people who only collected say female heroes. Well I get in now. We all love pop/geek culture here so we all have really wide interests if you don't set some boundaries you will run out of money and space fast.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #12
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
So I have hundreds of statue boxes (plus maybe 20 dupe statues) in a storage unit that's costing me almost $300/month. I don't plan on selling any statues, but I may have to move them for a renovation at some point.
I hate to do it, but I think I have to toss the boxes - unless anyone has any other ideas?
btw, if anyone is in the L.A. area and wants to peruse my storage unit for your own needs, you're welcome to do so.
How do other people manage their boxes?
I only buy what I can store and display and I got over the whole "don't plan on selling any statues" years ago. A lot of people don't plan on divorces either.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
craigcliff1
Zot

I would sell my collection if I didn't have room for my boxes. I love statues but not that much. yes try and keep them in your house. When I started people thought I was nuts to keep the boxes I said I wont sell them, then within a few years I had to sell had too many, now for 12 years I sell many and buy a few new one's, getting it to level now where I am just going to have so many statues
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #14
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
I don't plan on selling any statues
Something else to bear in mind -- you might not sell your statues, but your heirs/survivors will appreciate having the boxes when you bequeath them gifts or if they need to sell your statues for any reason (taxes, debts, they simply don't want statues, etc).
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #15
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I keep box and collapse them, toss foam. Zero choice on that or I couldn't collect and I'm not paying for a storage unit big enough to hold all that. You burn through the value of your collection in no time. You're just paying a lot of money for the next person to have the foam, and they might not even keep it or care.

If I had a barn, sure! Hell yeah. But the laws of physical space and finance simply will not alter for me.

So at least I have a box for each statue for moving someday.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #16
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I keep box and collapse them, toss foam. Zero choice on that or I couldn't collect and I'm not paying for a storage unit big enough to hold all that. You burn through the value of your collection in no time. You're just paying a lot of money for the next person to have the foam, and they might not even keep it or care.

If I had a barn, sure! Hell yeah. But the laws of physical space and finance simply will not alter for me.

So at least I have a box for each statue for moving someday.
Why bother keeping the boxes since you aren’t keeping the styrofoam? They take up room and you could get plenty at Home Depot for moving.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #17
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
37 is classified as a millennial? I guess I should've said future generation. You're correct a bunch in young ones do collect
Generations are fluid as they are a construct, but roughly 1978-1982 is when millennials started being born. The generation got its name as those that came into adulthood at the turn of the millennium.

Those in grade school, high school and into college now are called "Gen Z" for now, but Millennials were called "Gen Y" before the brand shift so who knows what they'll be known as in ten years when we are all dumping on them.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #18
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Why bother keeping the boxes since you aren’t keeping the styrofoam? They take up room and you could get plenty at Home Depot for moving.
Well it's easy since they collapse flat I can store a lot in the garage in an overhead rack without hassle. I keep the certificates inside them as well. When we move, I know I have a box for every single statue already, and it will be the right size, no need to buy anything, and obviously the art will tell me what everything is when it's time to unpack.
Filling them with packing material is the only pain but that is going to happen with moving boxes too.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:10 AM   #19
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

My goal is to destroy the majority of my boxes/foam. The BST part of this hobby just isn't worth it anymore.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #20
SAB380
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Well it's easy since they collapse flat I can store a lot in the garage in an overhead rack without hassle. I keep the certificates inside them as well. When we move, I know I have a box for every single statue already, and it will be the right size, no need to buy anything, and obviously the art will tell me what everything is when it's time to unpack.
Filling them with packing material is the only pain but that is going to happen with moving boxes too.
But the statue specific cut Styrofoam is what you need to keep the statues safe. It's easy to get empty giant boxes.
SAB380 is offline   Reply With Quote