Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #41
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
I collected animation art (mainly 70s/80s toons) up to mid-2000s. Didn't know the market crashed. Is it specific series or all? I collected mainly Giant Robot stuff (ie. G1 Transformers, Voltron, Macross/Mospeada, early Gundam) and those cells that do show up are still selling at the same high prices when they do show up for sale.

Reason why you don't see animation cells for sale at stores anymore is that the majority of cartoons stopped using actual hand-made drawings in the late 90s/2000s. For US cartoons the Batman/Superman Batman Beyond were the last hand-made WB superhero cartoons. Justice League was the first all-computer generated weekly cartoon where only pencil roughs were used to lay out scenes.
Sent you a PM.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #42
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

A non costume Spider Woman page from issue 7 just sold for $431 on Ebay. YIKES....
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #43
BillC
Hellboy

I don't think its time to stop buying OA, but it sure is time to get selective with what is being purchased imo (unless the price is really low)
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #44
tonicphx
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
A non costume Spider Woman page from issue 7 just sold for $431 on Ebay. YIKES....
Yea, Saw you got outbid on this. I'm never getting any original series pages at this rate.
tonicphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #45
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
I am regularly shocked by the prices of pages that have nothing on them - no heroes in costumes, or even a recognizable character...

I remember once getting a quote for a Trimpe "splash" page - and I say splash in quotes because I still don't feel like it qualified as one - it was the title page and had all the credits and everything on it - so half the page was covered in words - but it had Cap, Wasp, Thor and Giant Man all standing over over an unconscious Hulk - it was a shot of their backs - even the Hulk was face down - so you couldn't even see any of the heroes faces. The seller said it was a splash page with all those heroes on it and then quoted me a few thousand. I laughed - it floored me what people are paying for art these days. And not even the good stuff...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #46
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
That does sound crazy.

Sorry to hear you missed out on it.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #47
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I am regularly shocked by the prices of pages that have nothing on them - no heroes in costumes, or even a recognizable character...

I remember once getting a quote for a Trimpe "splash" page - and I say splash in quotes because I still don't feel like it qualified as one - it was the title page and had all the credits and everything on it - so half the page was covered in words - but it had Cap, Wasp, Thor and Giant Man all standing over over an unconscious Hulk - it was a shot of their backs - even the Hulk was face down - so you couldn't even see any of the heroes faces. The seller said it was a splash page with all those heroes on it and then quoted me a few thousand. I laughed - it floored me what people are paying for art these days. And not even the good stuff...
i recently got quoted over 1.5k for a Trimpe Captain America panel page... i thought that was a bit much.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #48
Agent Zero
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I agree with BillC. You guys also have to keep in mind or rememer that there are many types of people that buy art for difderent reasons. I've seen artwork the common collector would have no interest in, but someone for whatever reason pays whatever asking price because they want it that bad for whatever reason etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I don't think its time to stop buying OA, but it sure is time to get selective with what is being purchased imo (unless the price is really low)
Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote