Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

When I was looking to buy my first piece of original art I was looking at two great covers by one of my favourite artists Carlos Pacheco.

Due to dragging my feet and being unsure, I missed out on the covers to Uncanny X-Men #534.1 & Uncanny X-Men #20. Two great team covers that had my favourite Magneto as a focal point.

But... this did end up with me buying the cover to Magneto: Not a Hero #2 by Clay & Seth Mann
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Underdog07
Hercules

I wouldn't call these regrets, but . . . .

I have a top 5 covers I want to own - covers that are obtainable. 2 I own. 1 I have never seen. 2 I passed on because of price and likely will never get. I do not regret because 1 sold by the Donnelys for over $10k (I pegged it at maybe a $5k cover) and the other sold through Romitaman for over $13k (I offered $8k). No regrets because that was crazy money and would lead to shifts in my collecting ability.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Back in 2005 I was negotiating with Tony Moore's girlfriend (I believe wife now) to buy a bunch of interior pages from Walking Dead. Lots of pages were available from issue 1 and most were around $100.00 dollars a page. I ended up not buying anything because a Silver Surfer cover popped up on ebay that I really wanted. I still kick myself to this day for not getting anything.

I also had the opportunity to buy Tony Moore's Walking Dead #7 cover for $2000 a few years ago.

I just made some really bad decisions when it came to Walking Dead art.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I remember looking at awesome early Buscema Hulk pages on eBay for dirt cheap years ago before I started collecting artwork and was just focusing on toys. What the hell was I thinking?!?!
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Back in 2005 I was negotiating with Tony Moore's girlfriend (I believe wife now) to buy a bunch of interior pages from Walking Dead. Lots of pages were available from issue 1 and most were around $100.00 dollars a page. I ended up not buying anything because a Silver Surfer cover popped up on ebay that I really wanted. I still kick myself to this day for not getting anything.

I also had the opportunity to buy Tony Moore's Walking Dead #7 cover for $2000 a few years ago.

I just made some really bad decisions when it came to Walking Dead art.
Those pages probably would only fetch 8-12 grand each.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Ebay 1998 you could get Uncanny X-men 147 and 150 Cockrum Covers for under 1k...
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #17
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

I haven't been around long enough to truly regret missing a purchase in the same way. That being said I did almost buy an Invincible page back when I was still reading the series that was the introduction of I think it was 16 evil alternate universe Invincible's with just their faces as the 16 panels of the page. I do love me alternate universe version's of characters.

Just really loved the look of it. But I didn't have a lot of spending money at the time and I considered getting it, almost would've for sure but decided against it last minute.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #18
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotwilight View Post
I haven't been around long enough to truly regret missing a purchase in the same way. That being said I did almost buy an Invincible page back when I was still reading the series that was the introduction of I think it was 16 evil alternate universe Invincible's with just their faces as the 16 panels of the page. I do love me alternate universe version's of characters.

Just really loved the look of it. But I didn't have a lot of spending money at the time and I considered getting it, almost would've for sure but decided against it last minute.
Don't hate me. Just the pencils, I think the inks are with a collector in Hawaii, last I heard.

Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Those pages probably would only fetch 8-12 grand each.
I was only going to buy 10 to 15 pages.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #20
BillC
Hellboy

I dont know that I regret passing on much anything, I know I missed a few SA Infantino Flash pieces when I was just starting out and learning the game. I didn't know enough about the hobby to move too aggressively.

I did miss out on a favorite cover on HA a year or so back (underbidder) but I'm at peace with it, as I bid about twice what it should have normally gone for (it was every penny I had). I was very confident it was going to be mine. I went out on my shield with that one. IIRC that cover was the largest public sale for a cover from that series (could be wrong on that, but unlikely)
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote