Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #21
joerock
U talkin' to me?

When I first started collecting art I went crazy, bought things that looked cool, didn't even know the story behind it. Then one day I realized why buy it if it has no meaning? So I got rid of some stuff. I only collect art from stories that stuck in my head. Clearly I cannot get everything, some things are just to far out of reach. I look at it if it's not frame worthy, don't bother. OA is very special, when you look at it, think about all the people who ever read that book and thought, damn that's amazing. Now I have that original one-of-a-kind page. Granted the process is slow and patience is the key factor. Dealers are making this game near impossible. Take for instance. There's a certain dealer who is well known, infamous if you would, who buys everything he can, and marks the price up 2X what he paid. He controls the market because he had the funds to do so. He last minute outbid me twice in the past few months then listed them on his site. I asked about them, 2500 became 6000 in a matter of a week. Do I get upset? Sure, but if I really wanted it I should have bid more. I can't hate on the guy for having deeper pockets than me. One thing I've learned in this game, is to have patience, something will come along if you keep your eyes open.
joerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Hmmm, I certainly don't intend to cash out of the majority of my original comic art collection and I'm kinda/sort of retired from F-T work.
I was implying more "long term" and that we may not be the actual ones cashing it out.

There definitely are still "deals" to be found if you search enough. Getting direct from an artists as was mentioned is a good way to get a better price. Also for auctions set a dollar limit - I did that with the recent Heritage and Comiclink auctions because there was about 8 pieces I wanted. No way could I get all of them so I set a max for each (as well as a total spend) and ended up with 3 pieces.

I found out last night that the previous owner of the piece I won from Comiclink was asking nearly 3 times what I paid. I think no only did he misjudge the market, but he also sold when this artists work has become more readily available due to the recent high sales. So I got What in my mind was a good deal.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
Royd
Producer
Producer

Ahh..... yes, I see what you mean

Good to hear that you picked up some pieces from the HA and Comiclink auctions at a reasonable price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
I was implying more "long term" and that we may not be the actual ones cashing it out.

There definitely are still "deals" to be found if you search enough. Getting direct from an artists as was mentioned is a good way to get a better price. Also for auctions set a dollar limit - I did that with the recent Heritage and Comiclink auctions because there was about 8 pieces I wanted. No way could I get all of them so I set a max for each (as well as a total spend) and ended up with 3 pieces.

I found out last night that the previous owner of the piece I won from Comiclink was asking nearly 3 times what I paid. I think no only did he misjudge the market, but he also sold when this artists work has become more readily available due to the recent high sales. So I got What in my mind was a good deal.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #24
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Ahh..... yes, I see what you mean

Good to hear that you picked up some pieces from the HA and Comiclink auctions at a reasonable price!
I got a Hulk wizard cover and a regular Hulk comic cover through HA in the last three months at prices I thought were more than fair. Just keep your eyes open and don't let emotions control your bidding fingers.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #25
Sam
Hydra

Good on you my friend. Finding quality Cap pieces for non-wallet breaking prices is a bit more difficult at this time in my life. I can't bring myself to pay nearly $500 for a panel page Zeck when Cap is barely featured on the page. Heck, I can't bring myself to pay $500 for a panel page Zeck, and I love Zeck's work on Cap.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #26
BillC
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
I'm 36 years old and other then a few key pieces it all will crash to the bottom for sure in 50 years or less when people that loved it are no longer around. Most likely before. Sure the key pieces will be Americana art but no one is going to be looking for Savage She-Hulk or Guardians of the Galaxy.
Hey!

...no, seriously, I'll be dead in 50 years so I won't be looking for GOTG art at that time. You are correct.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #27
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
I wonder if it's time to stop buying or even time to start selling some of the stuff and waiting for it to crash like animation art did?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jick View Post
Animation art is very abundant and even one memorable scene has so many frames. Animation art was not tied to the artist who made it either, so it is more like a memorabilia piece of history.

I did see some auction results not being so favorable with owners selling it for the same price or less than they got it years ago, but I don't see it ever crashing like animation art.
Do you guys know why animation art crashed? I remember cel stores in malls in the 90s. You don't see those anymore. But I've never seen cels or sketches of the characters I'm looking for. I wish it was abundant. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. If you guys know where to find quality cels of the G.I. Joe cartoon opening or any other cartoons like that which were I believe animated in Japan let me know. As these seem to be really rare.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

This is a tough question... My thought is once something stops being fun, be it anything from the person you're dating to a once beloved hobby, perhaps it's time to consider cashing in your chips. There are lots of reasons why people or people's interests change over the years. It's okay to feel that way.

I try to buy a couple big pieces a year. However, even though what I'm willing to pay goes up with time, it doesn't seem to go up fast enough to match the rising asking prices. Nowadays, most collectors appear unwilling to move any of their pieces unless they make a profit, sometimes even a sizeable one. Whether they overpaid to begin with is moot.

Will there be a crash? I think key pieces will always have their place, even when it might appear as if far more collectors are leaving the hobby than joining. However, I do believe a breaking point is inevitable. However, how and when it will present itself is anyone's guess. I suppose we'll get a better idea in the next ten years or so when the market will be flooded with artwork being sold by retirees. I can't see my kids, for example, having any real interest in hanging on to all the artwork and/or collectibles I've amassed over the past 40 years.

In the end, you'd likely be best served to look at artwork as you might an attractive girlfriend. Should you wish to move on for whatever reason, you can be sure there will always be someone out there willing to take her off your hands.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #29
Meeley Man
Kindly Asked To Leave
Producer

When should you sell and get out? When you are more worried about the value your art has, over the enjoyment of having it and purchasing more, despite what its perceived value will be in the future.
Meeley Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #30
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I'm really happy with where my collection is at so I'm not actively looking for anything new. The increasing prices also have me sitting on the sidelines. I'm not ready to sell anything but I'm happy to just wait until something I want becomes available at the right price.