Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #11
built2shred
Phoenix

Action movies bring in the big bucks at the box office and the fact is nobody really sees women as Action heroes. Sure you have Wonder Woman, Supergirl, etc.. who have super powers, but I'm not talking about comic book movies, I'm just talking about Action movies in general, I really can't see a female Indiana Jones or a female Rambo bringing in a lot of money. They tried to remake a all Female Ghost Busters and it bombed, now they're trying to make a all female Oceans Eleven, will see what happens with that one.

There's been lots of movies with female leads but there mostly chick flicks (romantic comedy's or serious type movies)... Julia Roberts has stared in lots of these types of movies, so has Sandra Bullock... Movies current female actress seem to forget.

I just find it funny that we've just had some big roles for females lately yet she's still complaining... Rogue One, Star Wars 7, Wonder Woman... They also did Jupiter Rising with a female lead role although it bombed at the box office... so it's not like Hollywood isn't trying, they just haven't had a lot of success so far.

The only thing I can think of is SHE's not getting big roles so that's why she's complaining... (( shrug )), I did find it funny when someone brought up the point that Spielberg did The Color Purple which has a female lead in it, instead of acknowledging it she moved on in the conversation.

I'm with ringstar, I'm getting tired of women wanting to play the victim all the time. If you want more movies with female leads then women need to write some great scripts, If Hollywood thinks it will make lots of money they will make it regardless if it's a female or male in the lead role.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #12
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

If a women wrote the script and got a woman in the lead and it bombed then there would still be complaints. Men are sexist and didn't go to the movie, the script was bad, or whatever. There would always be some excuse.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #13
ratchet
Mandarin

What about The Color Purple?
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

^to echo this, has any of the whining snowflakes stepped up to the plate to make these so call changes, no, they just whine for someone else to do it. And thats regarding all topics they cry about.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #15
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Action movies bring in the big bucks at the box office and the fact is nobody really sees women as Action heroes. Sure you have Wonder Woman, Supergirl, etc.. who have super powers, but I'm not talking about comic book movies, I'm just talking about Action movies in general, I really can't see a female Indiana Jones or a female Rambo bringing in a lot of money.
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Michelle Yeoh say hi.

(Having said that, there's an over-emphasis on movies that are financially successful. For every action blockbuster, there're many more duds. Heck, most movies don't even get theatrical distribution, going straight to TV/streaming/home video. This is true no matter if we're talking about movies with men or women in the lead roles.)
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #16
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I'm not sure where the hell Elizabeth Banks was going with her rant on Spielburg, but it makes zero sense.

Unless doing the SCI FI flick, or Indiana Jones series SS usually does historical dramas. And NONE of those to be accurate would star a female lead. It's just nonsense. If Banks can find a historical story to tell based on a woman lead - then pitch it to SS. He's not against such things.

And FTR -- The Color Purple has more than one amazing female lead. I also call BS on there being too few good female roles that aren't chick flicks. Prime examples of solid females leads that aren't superheroes/chick flicks: Norma Rae, Monster, ALIEN(S), Silence of the Lambs, Mildred Pierce, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and both Kill Bill films. And those were all which just came straight to my head.

While women are still underpaid, it's not for lack of roles.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #17
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Michelle Yeoh say hi.

(Having said that, there's an over-emphasis on movies that are financially successful. For every action blockbuster, there're many more duds. Heck, most movies don't even get theatrical distribution, going straight to TV/streaming/home video. This is true no matter if we're talking about movies with men or women in the lead roles.)
And the Tomb Raider movies struggled at the box office.... They were poorly done with bad scripts IMO, that said Angelina Jolie in Salt was pretty good but I think it also struggled at the box office.

I forgot about The Hunger games and the Alien movies, which did really good at the box office.

As for being under paid, I think ALL of Hollywood is over paid, that's why we have to pay $15 a ticket and $20 for a box of popcorn at the theaters. The only way I can see a woman being underpaid is if her male co-stars are making more money then her, then yes she is being under paid, but when they try to say they should get Robert Downy Jr. money for some movie that only brings in a fraction of what RDJ movies bring in, then that's a joke.

I do believe Jennifer Lawrence for several years was the 6th highest paid actor among her peers. That's no chump change...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #18
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
And the Tomb Raider movies struggled at the box office.... They were poorly done with bad scripts IMO, that said Angelina Jolie in Salt was pretty good but I think it also struggled at the box office.
Actually the first Tomb Raider did well at the box office, especially when you take inflation into account.

(Not talking about quality, which is weakly correlated with box office performance.)
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote