Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Elizabeth Banks calls out Spielberg

Elizabeth Banks Puts Steven Spielberg On Blast For Lack of Female Lead Characters
Zack Sharf, IndieWire
Jun 15, 2017 10:06 am

Elizabeth Banks was in Hollywood last night at the Women in Film Crystal + Lucy Awards to receive an honor for excellence in feature directing, and she used her time on stage to put none other than Steven Spielberg on blast.

Criticizing the director for his lack of female characters in lead roles, Banks said, “I went to ‘Indiana Jones’ and ‘Jaws’ and every movie Steven Spielberg ever made…he’s never made a movie with a female lead. Sorry, Steven. I don’t mean to call your ass out, but it’s true.”

It’s important to note that Banks’ statement isn’t completely true. Spielberg’s theatrical feature debut “The Sugarland Express” features Goldie Hawn in the lead role, while other efforts like “The Color Purple” and “The BFG” were also centered around lead actresses. Banks may have been slightly incorrect, but the fact that Spielberg has made so few films with female lead characters in his more than four decades in the business is certainly problematic. It’s not the first time Spielberg has been called out, as Juliette Binoche famously turned down “Jurassic Park” because of the overt maleness of the director’s movies.

Banks appeared in a very small supporting role in Spielberg’s “Catch Me If You Can,” itself lead by Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio. The actress will be back behind the camera for the upcoming “Charlie’s Angels” reboot, and she can next be seen in her “Pitch Perfect” supporting role when the third installment opens December 22.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/eli...rs-1201842557/
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
Barbarian
Jedi Order

SHATTAAAAP!!!
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post

SHATTAAAAP!!!
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Where's Al Bundy when u need em.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #5
Gothamite
Phoenix

She's apologized. (It appears that she forgot she was in Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can. )
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

I guess 1-40 isn't that bad for Spielberg.
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #7
Vracula
Jedi Order

"but the fact that Spielberg has made so few films with female lead characters in his more than four decades in the business is certainly problematic."

WHY IS IT PROBLEMATIC????????? *head explodes.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Spielberg hasn't made enough films of 50+ year old African American lesbian single short plus-sized moms with a military background who have a visible physical disability. I call intolerance and prejudice. Boycott Indiana Jones as they clearly hired the wrong gender and body type to meet the demand of moviegoers.

P.S. I realize the politically correct thing to say is that women can be as equally entertaining and profitable as men at everything men (can) do. In some cases, that's true. In some cases, it's not. I imagine the visa-versa is true in some cases as well but goodness forbid that becomes a topic of discussion. Also, to be frank, I'm kind of fed up hearing that men are pricks because they aren't as attracted to 200-300 pound women. This victimizing women trend is largely nonsensical, especially in today's climate, and it will eventually work against the cause. I keep waiting for one woman to tell me of a SINGLE right men have that women do not.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Every week some idiot has to say something.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 AM   #10
johnclone
The Enchantress

just look at Temple of Doom, Kate has practically as many lines and as much screen time as Harrison does. No she isn't the lead, because it isn't called Willie Scott the Nightclub Singer and the Temple of Doom
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote