Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 03-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Sinestro Premium Format Review by Bmutha

Sinestro Premium Format Figure
Produced by Sideshow Collectibles

Ok, guys and gals...my first video review...please let me know what you think (be kind, lol). I'd like to do more, so please give me your comments and suggestions (I will aim to make them shorter in the future...it's amazing how quickly the time goes by when filming these).

I will add the scoring to this thread later on, but for now, please enjoy the video and the pics!

<iframe width="280" height="157" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xat5_bRMGcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watch Video Here: Sinestro Video Review

Product Size: 34.5" H x 9" W x 7" L
Artists: Kat Sapene (Paint), Steve Schumacher (Sculpt), Kristafer Anka (Design), Walter O’Neal (Design), The Sideshow Collectibles Design and Development Team
Originally Released: February 2015
Edition Size: 500 Exclusive & 1,000 Regular

Sinestro Fun Facts:
First Appearance: Green Lantern # 7 (1961)
First Appearance of Sinestro Corps: Green Lantern # 10 (May 2006)
First Appearance as Yellow Lantern: Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special (August 2007)
Height: 6'7", Weight: 205 lbs.
Powers: hard light constructs, instant weaponry, force fields, flight, durability, alien technology, fear provocation, intelligence
Former Green Lantern: Was originally assigned sector 1417 and was known for his great ability to police his sector...unfortunately his obsession with establishing order by any means necessary eventually got him kicked out of the Green Lantern Corps.

Official Scoring:

Sculpt:9.5 / 10
Excellent sculpt by Steve Schumacher...very true to the character. Long, lean build and excellent portrait...I really, really love this sculpt!

Design: 8.5/10
I am personally very pleased to see they went with the Sinestro Corps costume, despite it being a fairly recent addition to the character (considering how long he's been around). The buzz saw is immense! I felt that the Sinestro logo construct could have had more "volume" to it...it is flat as a board when viewed from the side. Lastly...the ring most definitely could have and should have had a logo on it!!!!

Paint: 8.5/10
Paint turned out very well on this piece...very few areas of sloppiness or paint bleed (although there are a few minor areas). The glossy yellow areas really pop...I sort of wish the black areas were a bit more glossy, but they still turned out well. Again, the portrait steals the show here...excellent paint work on the hair (the hairline and the fade), eyebrows, mustache, skin tone, and eyes...this is one of my favourite portraits that I have seen.

Production & Build Quality: 7.0/10
The figure itself feels well constructed. The head fits onto the body with a nice, strong magnet. The switch-out forearms fit onto the arm with a metal peg. The fit is secure on the arms, but there is a bit of a noticeable seam where the parts join.

The base is where most of the issues with this piece lie. The base is constructed of several smaller parts, and because it is made of clear resin, you can clearly see the keys, seams, and glue that hold it together. The embedded yellow lantern power battery looks and feels like cheap plastic (it seems that breakage of the lantern is one of the most prominent issues people are having). On top of the that, the fit between the body and base is a bit off on many pieces. There is a metal peg under the left foot, but the right foot just sits on the base with nothing to hold it in place. The contour of the sole of his right boot and the particular spot for it on the base do not match, so the foot will never sit perfectly flat. You can do a little bit of futzing to get a better fit here, but the piece should have been constructed with a more reliable fit to the base.

Overall Score: 8.4 / 10
Personally, I feel this is one of Sideshow's best pieces in years, and the statue is not getting nearly enough of the attention it deserves. It is supremely sculpted and very well painted. If not for the issues with the base, this piece could have been much higher rated.

Although the statue stands out well on its own, if you're lucky enough to have the Green Lantern Premium Format Figure, you have an excellent pair on your hands.

All in all, a very highly recommended piece, and worthy of a spot in your collection.

Last edited by d rod; 03-04-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Awesome pics!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Indeed, those are some sweet pics you posted Bmutha... the pics are simply incredible.
I also loved your video review; it sure was nice to see you in action!

Keep up the good work!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Fantastic video review, Kris! Fantastic! By the way; great observation about the boxes. It made me laugh.

Looking forward to your next videos.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

While I really like this statue, I do have several issues with the construction details. For one, I think the circumference of the base is simply too small. Preferably, it should be a good inch wider on all sides. Right now, even though the foot peg goes in all the way, the figure doesn't sit all that firmly on the base. This is likely largely because there's no peg underneath the second foot. As a result, there's too much give, in the sense that you can still too easily move the figure from right to left. That's actually a genuine concern here given how little room there is on the base. One can't help but wonder if it might tilt over at one point due to its lack of firm stability on the base. Further, there's this sense that the base details are fragile in nature as if even a gentle knock could break or snap a piece off.

Also, this is a personal thing, but I much prefer magnet-attachment arm pieces. Peg pieces don't always fit the way you want and you sometimes have the wrestle with the pieces to get them to fit in all the way. It can sometimes be equally challenging to remove the pieces later on too.

Other than those issues, I'm really pleased with the piece. It's a stunner!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
While I really like this statue, I do have several issues with the construction details. For one, I think the circumference of the base is simply too small. Preferably, it should be a good inch wider on all sides. Right now, even though the foot peg goes in all the way, the figure doesn't sit all that firmly on the base. This is likely largely because there's no peg underneath the second foot. As a result, there's too much give, in the sense that you can still too easily move the figure from right to left. That's actually a genuine concern here given how little room there is on the base. One can't help but wonder if it might tilt over at one point due to its lack of firm stability on the base. Further, there's this sense that the base details are fragile in nature as if even a gentle knock could break or snap a piece off.

Also, this is a personal thing, but I much prefer magnet-attachment arm pieces. Peg pieces don't always fit the way you want and you sometimes have the wrestle with the pieces to get them to fit in all the way. It can sometimes be equally challenging to remove the pieces later on too.

Other than those issues, I'm really pleased with the piece. It's a stunner!
Yeah, I agree on those points. The base is where I have most of my issues. Overall, a very nice piece...the figure and the portrait are superb.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
vwstobbe
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Great review. 20 minutes flew by. I like your point of view and observations.
vwstobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwstobbe View Post
Great review. 20 minutes flew by. I like your point of view and observations.
Thanks! It's amazing how easy it is to ramble on...I had to reshoot a couple times to get the length down!
Old 03-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
Bmutha

Added the scoring and a brief summary of each scoring category up above for all you guys that don't have the time to watch the video!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #10
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
Added the scoring and a brief summary of each scoring category up above for all you guys that don't have the time to watch the video!
Nice work!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote