Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-07-2017, 01:27 AM   #1
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

My Ken Kelly original oil painting commission

I started talking about this in one of my other threads about a statue repaint but since it was kind of unrelated to that I thought I would start it's own thread. Originally I had wanted Ken to paint a Kane for me. But then he got really busy with some other stuff and when he got back to me he had forgotten I wanted Kane and when he sent me a rough sketch for the painting it didn't look like Kane at all.

I called him and he then remembered and apologized and said we could convert him to a Kane, no problem. I said well the first problem is Kane is left handed. He said no problem we can just mirror the image

But I didn't really like the left handed image, I don't know why I just didn't. And the original sketch was growing on me so I said let's just proceed with it. And he said as long as it was ok with me that is what he would do as long as I was sure
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:33 AM   #2
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

So the next thing was I just had to pick a "main" color. He asked me what color I really liked and I said blue so here is how it started

And then after a few days I got this update

I told him I didn't really like it. I have to say Ken is REALLY easy to work with. He asked me what I didn't like about it and I told him that it just isn't my kind of Knight. I said he is probably fine for guys who like Prince Valiant or something but to me he had too much of an Ivanhoe vibe to him and everyone who knows me knows I like quite a bit rougher stuff than that. I asked him if he could give him a little more formidable helmet and like a fur cloak, as I was thinking maybe a winter type scene since I live in the cold. So he said no problem and he would change him for me.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:44 AM   #3
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

The next one he sent me was much more in line with what I was looking for

I told him I thought that I would like the fur on the cloak to be black and the liner to be red. He told me red might be a bit too much of a contrast and that it might take away from the overall feel of the piece by adding a nice-lordy item to a bad-ass and might not look right but I asked him to try it and see so he did

He was right, I didn't like it as well so I told him to go ahead and go with the color scheme he liked but I did like the "mist" affect around his legs and the lighting
Old 05-07-2017, 01:47 AM   #4
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

So here is today's update. Coming along nicely

Old 05-07-2017, 03:27 AM   #5
Marcel54
Hellboy

Darrin, I really like it. Love the overall look & feel of the painting and the background is cool too.
Marcel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Loving it Darrin...a grittier look.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Very cool - I REALLY like seeing the WIP images. Thanks for sharing!!!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
punisher129
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Very cool! I've met Kelly at cons and he seems like a cool guy. Sounds like he really cares about making the customer happy. Look forward to seeing the finished piece.
punisher129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #9
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Thanks fellas, Ken is truly fantastic to work with and I couldn't recommend him highly enough. I told him on the phone now that I have done it I REALLY regret that I can only afford to do it once. It is so frigging much fun to come up with ideas and discuss them and try them and make changes.

He has things that he likes and suggests them and then I throw out things that I think would be cool and when I see something I don't really like he is cool with it. This will be pretty big too, 16x20.

My budget only allowed for one main character painting which really hamstrings a lot of ideas that I had for including action and a horse and some other things but I am thrilled that I will own a Ken Kelly original painting and even more so that it is one that I had input into.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Looks like Ken is going to end up with 10 paintings/ drawings of this guy.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote