Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Tangyson
A day without sunshine is like... night.

What tools do i need if i want to work with chavant?

Hello all, the title of the thread says it all, thinking of trying out chavant due to its low cost. I am asuming its like wax is that correct? Can i use the same tools i use for sculpey? What do you smooth it out with?
Tangyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
jollyskeleton
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

A lamp and a box to create a little oven would be very useful to heat up the clay to a suitable temperature to get the Chavant nice and pliable.
U can use the same tools as you'd use for Sculpey, and its also more friendly on your fingers as it doesn't leech oil like Sculpey does. You can use rubbing alcohol to smooth Chavant. Also a light alcohol flame/torch will help blend clay
Hope that helps
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Tangyson

Thank you for your reply. A lamp, any kind of lamp? and a box? like a cardboard box? how would this work to make an oven? Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
jollyskeleton

I saw a video somewhere stating a 60W lamp is sufficient. I use a halogen one. You don't want it too hot too quick as it melts the clay and burns your fingers.
As for box, any kind of cardboard box sufficiently large (think of the boxes paper reams are stored in), and cut vent rectangles along the sides of the 4 walls. On the roof of the box, you can cut a hole the size of the lamp so it sits atop the cover and shines through. Line the insides of the box all around with foil.

Slice the Chavant block into thinner slices, place in the box, put on the lid, place the lamp on. Turn it on. Give it 5-10 mins. Voila! It's good to use once it becomes a bit more pliable
Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Tangyson

Nice Thanks a lot for the info!! One more question lets say I lay on some chavant on the figure it cools and hardens but I need to work with it while its laid on the figure how do I heat it up on the figure without melting it or warping it? sorry, more questions if I am going to use chavant for sculpting figures and such what should I get soft medium or hard? also if I use my sculpey tools for chavant they wont be ruined right? what can clean them with after working?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
jollyskeleton

No prob. Just sharing what I learnt.
It takes a while to cool down. U can use the alcohol/flame torch and make light passes just to heat it enough to work on. To harden it quick, invert a can of canned air and use it like a refrigerant spray.
I have been using Medium all this while, and I find it quite comfortable to use. I only have some issues with smaller parts like fingers. I have heard from others that Chavant Hard is good to use for things u really need to lock in details with. U can try that, or go for a mix of the two.

You should be find with the sculpey tools for chavant. Chavant sticks really well to itself with some friction, so if you need to clean the stuff, just take a little ball of Chavant and clean the tool with it. If not, u can always take them for a wash, or wipe with rubbing alcohol. Comes right off
Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Tangyson

Thank You, Jolly really appreciate your help Ill be ordering the chavant soon and maybe post some wips.