Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #471
Peedi
The Secret Six

At the risk of sounding dumb (and I really don?t care either way lol) would magnets work for flying? Like if the figure has magnets in it and the base had multiple magnets and the force between them could simulate flying?

I don?t know what the costs for that would look like. And such a thing might need to be enclosed so that the wrong tap won?t send the figure flying.

But I?ve had this idea for a while now and even more so after seeing F4F selling their True Form Midna in a case.

Magnets in the figure, magnets in the base, magnetic debris around the sides of the environment to further support it all, and magnets on top, you could ?suspend? Storm, Scarlet Witch, Magneto, etc as if they were flying.

I don?t know. Just a thought. This is what I?m doing in a Captain America thread lol.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #472
Hannibal10
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
At the risk of sounding dumb (and I really don?t care either way lol) would magnets work for flying? Like if the figure has magnets in it and the base had multiple magnets and the force between them could simulate flying?

I don?t know what the costs for that would look like. And such a thing might need to be enclosed so that the wrong tap won?t send the figure flying.

But I?ve had this idea for a while now and even more so after seeing F4F selling their True Form Midna in a case.

Magnets in the figure, magnets in the base, magnetic debris around the sides of the environment to further support it all, and magnets on top, you could ?suspend? Storm, Scarlet Witch, Magneto, etc as if they were flying.

I don?t know. Just a thought. This is what I?m doing in a Captain America thread lol.
No because the statues are too heavy and the magnetic resistance doesn't last forever.
Hannibal10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #473
maximus_73
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:

Yeah, if you set up the magnet with the same polarity, it will create the flying effect
maximus_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:18 PM   #474
BurningRage
Inhumans

3500 es small compared to the 6000 es of the last one.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:57 PM   #475
SONICobra
Batman

Damnit smaller than I was hoping… now to wait or not
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:16 PM   #476
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
Damnit smaller than I was hoping? now to wait or not
I already ordered Ahsoka, Black Widow and Michael Myers. Cap is next on my list, but I'm regrouping rewards right now.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:02 AM   #477
SONICobra
Batman

I love everything about this piece but I’m worried about the possible scale issue. My gut says it’s an error on the measurement specs but finding out a piece is out of scale after setting them up is a major pet peeve. A character out of scale can ruin an entire display IMO #scaleocdisreal
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:10 AM   #478
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
I love everything about this piece but I?m worried about the possible scale issue. My gut says it?s an error on the measurement specs but finding out a piece is out of scale after setting them up is a major pet peeve. A character out of scale can ruin an entire display IMO #scaleocdisreal
It can, but even with the old Batman PF which is larger than he should be he still sits fine with most JLA PFs.

My concern would be if he's so large he makes either of the older Thors look too small.

I Have the modern Thor and he's beefier than the Bel Cap by quite a bit. We'll see though.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:14 AM   #479
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:

Short answer is no.

Longer answer is, the current technology requires a large electronic base with circuit board to stabilize the attraction between multiple strong neodymium magnets, and even then the item to be levitated has to be pretty light and compact. The size and complexity of statues pretty much rule it out right now.

Kinetiquettes was attempting to create a levitating M. Bison, but it never came to fruition. It had additional magnets on top, that would pull it up in the event of a power outage (one of the issues with this tech obviously). Probably ended up being too difficult and expensive.

The levitating items out there that do exist tend to be small, low center of gravity, and symmetrical (like a globe), because it can be very hard to get the magnetic attraction to behave in exactly the way you want otherwise.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:57 AM   #480
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Short answer is no.

Longer answer is, the current technology requires a large electronic base with circuit board to stabilize the attraction between multiple strong neodymium magnets, and even then the item to be levitated has to be pretty light and compact. The size and complexity of statues pretty much rule it out right now.

Kinetiquettes was attempting to create a levitating M. Bison, but it never came to fruition. It had additional magnets on top, that would pull it up in the event of a power outage (one of the issues with this tech obviously). Probably ended up being too difficult and expensive.

The levitating items out there that do exist tend to be small, low center of gravity, and symmetrical (like a globe), because it can be very hard to get the magnetic attraction to behave in exactly the way you want otherwise.
Yeah I think the most complex thing I've seen is the Egg Attack Iron Man and he's small.