Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 03-13-2017, 06:21 AM   #171
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Well she is looking great... can you post a close up of her face?
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #172
gogo13
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The13thWarlock View Post
Thanks., 13 Warlock. When I get home from work I'll post a close up of the face
gogo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #173
clutch
Sailor Moon

Good start. You may want to rethink the hair though. Yellow is not a good color.

This is how I do it most of the time. I will basecoat the hair with Raw Sienna. Once that is dry, I start mixing in Yellow Oxide and slowly drybrush the color up. If I've overdone the drybrushing, I'll give the hair a light wash of Burnt Sienna. For a platinum blonde, I basecoat with tan and then do the yellow oxide thing with the final step mixing in a bit of white to lighten up the mix.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #174
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo13 View Post
ThanKS for the compliment. !

The paint scheme is very similiar. I changed the color of the boots and skirt to a darker color. There was to much blue in the original color scheme for my taste. The skin color you can't match so I painted her a new flesh tone. I shaded or highlighted whenever I can. It's not that easy with acrylics. An Airbrush would be nice but I don't have the time to learn.

This statue has a really nice sculpt. Its a good looking statue.
I knew it...so you hit the skin tone with a brush then? Did you strip the original paint?
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #175
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Good start. You may want to rethink the hair though. Yellow is not a good color.

This is how I do it most of the time. I will basecoat the hair with Raw Sienna. Once that is dry, I start mixing in Yellow Oxide and slowly drybrush the color up. If I've overdone the drybrushing, I'll give the hair a light wash of Burnt Sienna. For a platinum blonde, I basecoat with tan and then do the yellow oxide thing with the final step mixing in a bit of white to lighten up the mix.
I think that's pretty good feedback. At this stage though, I bet he could get a pretty hot look by going over all of it with a medium dry brush of that white he is hightlighting with, then a wash of the yellow mixed 50/50 with a medium brown like Raw Sienna.
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #176
gogo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post

Thanks Clutch. Good advise. You have some experience painting.!. I made the mistake of leaving the dark grey primer that was on the kit portrait and hair on.The dry brush didnt work well for me. The color change like yellow turn out green. I learned and removed the primer from the face. The hair is the hardest thing to paint so far. I try to paint many individual strands of hairs. In several shades of color. Dry brushing didn't work well for me, cause I'm not use to the dark grey primer. On the sides of the head the hair is has lots more shading up close. The front I used more yellow,orange nd white washes.

Great advise . I will use that technique if I get a chance to paint another kit. Thank you.

Edit : very nice choice of colors and technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecollector80 View Post
I knew it...so you hit the skin tone with a brush then? Did you strip the original paint?
I hand painted it. I painted over the few parts that were already painted. I had to strip the primer that was on the face.

Quote:
I think that's pretty good feedback. At this stage though, I bet he could get a pretty hot look by going over all of it with a medium dry brush of that white he is hightlighting with, then a wash of the yellow mixed 50/50 with a medium brown like Raw Sienna.
Yes Clutch gave some excellent advise. He seems to be an experience painter.

Edit: The sculpt on this statue is awesome.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #177
Great Pheidias
Nightwing

don't give up your day job gogo
Great Pheidias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #178
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Pheidias View Post

that hurts man!
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #179
gogo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Pheidias View Post

What would give you that idea? This is my first statue I ever fully painted. I appreciated what goes into making a statue. Its a lot of hours/work and creativity.

This kit painting only keeps my mind occupied from buying a couple of PCS, Prime1 or XM Statues.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #180
gogo13

Quote:
These are some quick photos from my camera phone. It doesn't focus so well close up.