Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 12-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #571
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I blew through barsoom, and decided to delve in to the rise and fall of the third reich. Next will be something light like the Munich Olympics massacre or war and peace.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #572
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccowen View Post
I blew through barsoom, and decided to delve in to the rise and fall of the third reich. Next will be something light like the Munich Olympics massacre or war and peace.
Love both!

I've never read the Munich Olympics massacre before.... Need to look into that.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #573
dccowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
Love both!

I've never read the Munich Olympics massacre before.... Need to look into that.
It's actually called "One Day in September". It's supposedly the whole story on the massacre. Very well received.

I try to read War and Peace once each decade of my life. It's a nice gauge into my philosophical and intellectual understanding of the world.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #574
Babytoxie
Ghost

All Quiet on The Western Front (1928), by Erich Maria Remarque

Based on the author's experience as a German trench soldier in WWI, and the disconnect from society that he felt upon returning to civilian life. It's very well-written, and the perspectives on war and its effects on the individual are timeless.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #575
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Thanks for the info. I'll check that out.

Tolstoy's been one of my favorite authors since I had to pick a foreign one for AP English, twenty years ago in high school... I'm in the same boat.. I read War & Peace about once a decade, as well. Maybe that's the time-table for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccowen View Post
It's actually called "One Day in September". It's supposedly the whole story on the massacre. Very well received.

I try to read War and Peace once each decade of my life. It's a nice gauge into my philosophical and intellectual understanding of the world.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #576
dccowen

The Third Reich was too heavy, decided to go a little lighter, and dive into Gatsby. Will go Tolstoy afterward.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #577
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post

No joke, soldier. There are going to be 7 books.

On the plus side, he is a sllllooooowwww writer so only 5 books are out right now. Book 5 is called A Dance With Dragons which is what I'm going to start soon enough.
I got a Nook for Christmas so started reading Dance with Dragons....I am about 600 pages into this thing and pretty much NOTHING has happened. I'm starting to think this guy is just milking this cash cow and continuing to put out books that don't go anywhere to capitalize on the popularity of Game of Thrones.
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #578
Babytoxie
Ghost

Pure Drivel by Steve Martin

Cruel Shoes, originally published in 1979, is a must-read collection of Martin's humor stories and essays, and Pure Drivel (1998) is a worthy follow-up. It had me laughing out loud, to the great annoyance of my wife, who is trying to finish Gone With The Wind.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #579
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I got a Nook for Christmas so started reading Dance with Dragons....I am about 600 pages into this thing and pretty much NOTHING has happened. I'm starting to think this guy is just milking this cash cow and continuing to put out books that don't go anywhere to capitalize on the popularity of Game of Thrones.
Are you serious?! I haven't started this one yet, but it's coming up in my rotation. I pushed it back out of concern this might be the case.

Good gravy these books are becoming a CHORE! I hate when reading becomes a chore.

Thanks for the heads up -- maybe on my kindle I won't seem so daunted becuase I won't really know how much I have left to go
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #580
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Are you serious?! I haven't started this one yet, but it's coming up in my rotation. I pushed it back out of concern this might be the case.

Good gravy these books are becoming a CHORE! I hate when reading becomes a chore.

Thanks for the heads up -- maybe on my kindle I won't seem so daunted becuase I won't really know how much I have left to go
Well I finished it. It just ends for no reason (at least this book). It is like, "Well, I reached 1100 pages, time to end this one" with a hundred loose ends.

I swear he could have done this story in the 4 books if he wanted. But now I am into it about 5800 pages worth so I will have to read the rest of the books as well, even though it takes years for them to come out.

One good thing about this author, he isn't afraid to kill off main characters with little or no warning, which is something I like. It makes for better reading than knowing every hero will get out of every situation. I think he just has too many characters for a single story, even if it is going to be 10,000 pages.
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote