Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 08-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #141
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
All,good points but I see it from a different point of view, and that is fine because as we both know they are just opinions. As for you Punisher idea I would love to hear it someday.

The thing is I picked 4 statues where the bases "might" take away from the character, but it took me awhile to think of them trust me. In the end I am all in for doing something cool and different with a base; especially if it speaks to the character. Let's face it, like Lockdown said my Hulk base is massively huge, but that was in an effort to really tell a story. It might blow up in my fac, but in the end no one else other then XM would take a shot at a piece like that so I took a big swing.

Are you sure your name shouldn't be Diva not Divo. Honestly, cut back the condescending asshatery, and read your first sentence "I consider these" that means you are talking about your opinion. Not a fact. I stated a thought out critique on 4 bases that might be too busy, but because you are a rabid fanboy you lose your ---- and think that by saying my opinions are silly or delusional you make yours stronger. Sorry puddin that just doesn't work. Guys like you who can't deal with opinions that are different then yours in a way that doesn't devolve to name calling or insults are the worst part of this hobby because you see you aren't right, you aren't wrong ... You simply have an opinion, and it is a shame that you can't voice it at a level higher than a 3rd grader when they call someone a stupid poopy head. Though I will admit you have a slightly better vocabulary than my 3rd grader.

Easy there Spidey. Remember, I'm the guy who came to your defence when a silly lynch mob were screaming for your head at Sideshow Freaks. And for what? Voicing your opinions. Go figure.

Divo monicker is simply a melding of both the wife's and my own name, nothing more. You on the other hand, seem to be compelled to voice your opinions on virtually every, and any topic, real or imagined.

Yes, opinions are just that, opinions. But some are more misleading than others, and therefore potentially detrimental to the art form. And if you re-read first line of my post, I did inject a "sorry" for my strong, yet un diminished opinions on the matter. Yeah, I actually tried to soften the blow.

No, I'm not a blindly stumbling fanboy of any company, genre, or style, but will defend against those who insist on smoking up the room, blurring the reality of artistic intent, when there is no fire, just a lot of hot air.

Spidey, we appreciate your creative efforts with your cgi Hulk dio, and can see how you are growing as an artist. But one can't help rolling their eyes when you critique perfectly suited bases to their characters, by highly professional, polished pros, when your own work is even more elaborate, and over the top, than any XM offering to date.

Keep an open mind, give yourself time, and fight your compulsion to spew, for the shear sake of it. It will give you more insight, and make you a better artist.

P.S. For those who are so easily distracted, these are my opinions, .........................of course.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #142
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Easy there Spidey. Remember, I'm the guy who came to your defence when a silly lynch mob were screaming for your head at Sideshow Freaks. And for what? Voicing your opinions. Go figure.

Divo monicker is simply a melding of both the wife's and my own name, nothing more. You on the other hand, seem to be compelled to voice your opinions on virtually every, and any topic, real or imagined.

Yes, opinions are just that, opinions. But some are more misleading than others, and therefore potentially detrimental to the art form. And if you re-read first line of my post, I did inject a "sorry" for my strong, yet un diminished opinions on the matter. Yeah, I actually tried to soften the blow.

No, I'm not a blindly stumbling fanboy of any company, genre, or style, but will defend against those who insist on smoking up the room, blurring the reality of artistic intent, when there is no fire, just a lot of hot air.

Spidey, we appreciate your creative efforts with your cgi Hulk dio, and can see how you are growing as an artist. But one can't help rolling their eyes when you critique perfectly suited bases to their characters, by highly professional, polished pros, when your own work is even more elaborate, and over the top, than any XM offering to date.

Keep an open mind, give yourself time, and fight your compulsion to spew, for the shear sake of it. It will give you more insight, and make you a better artist.

P.S. For those who are so easily distracted, these are my opinions, .........................of course.
Divo calling what someone says silly and delusional is rude, and I responded in kind. If that isn't how you want the discussion to go then that is all good by me, but I will speak to you with the same level of respect you give to me. So if you want to have a civil conversation then I am all up for it.

So with my comments I took on a mental exercise because it was asked of the community. All I said is that IMO and for me the bases for those 4 pieces might detract from the pieces and I gave my reasons for thinking that. That isn't me ripping them apart or at all trying to diminish the work of the sculptors and the artists who put the work into making them. I am sorry if that is how I came off actually because that isn't what I was trying to do. It was a challenge from loric that I took to look and provide my honest opinion about, but I didn't state it as a fact. For ME ... and me alone... I wouldn't want Punisher on a bike, Medusa on a giant Lockjaw, or Namor on a Giant Octopus. As I think the guys from XM have even stated before that is fine you don't have to buy the piece, and I haven't. For me I would want to have a base that spoke to the characters differently, but again that is just my opinion, and it was just a mental exercise brought on by Loric's challenge. I like loric challenges they are well thought out and he has an interesting perspective.

As for my Hulk having a massive elaborate base well, I am aware, and I took a chance with it. The same that XM takes all the time to be honest. Having seen a few other pieces here and there I decided to do something completely different in terms of the story and the base. So did I fall short? Oh yeah it is possible... I am not nearly arrogant or egotistical enough to believe that isn't a possibility, which is why I updated the base and made it more compact for a second pass when it was suggested to me. Does it need a third pass?? Yeah maybe, but I am out of time, and if that is going to happen it will be when I know either which way if I made it through round 1 of the contest. If I didn't then you know what I will just keep working on my Hulk... I am having SO much fun it isn't funny.

As for eye rolling at suggestions from an amateur like myself. I am okay with that because I have been thanked by XM for my suggestions in the past, and I never received any harshness from them simply because they as artists know where I am coming from. I am offereing them suggestions to do with as they will. If they like them then they can use them, and if they don't then they don't. Like I said it won't bother me I learned a long time ago that you don't need to be a professional artists to offer critique. Hell my Hulk wouldn't be nearly where it is without the help of several pros, but even more collector friends of mine who simply made awesome suggestions. If I had ignored them because 3/4 of them couldn't sculpt a convincing headsculpt to save their lives my submission for the contest would have been so much worse for it. So I will keep on keeping on, and if and when XM asks me to stop I will.

In the end Divo I apologize for letting lose earlier, but I give what I get. I would love to continue the conversation and discussion in a civilised way.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #143
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
Divo calling what someone says silly and delusional is rude, and I responded in kind. If that isn't how you want the discussion to go then that is all good by me, but I will speak to you with the same level of respect you give to me. So if you want to have a civil conversation then I am all up for it.

So with my comments I took on a mental exercise because it was asked of the community. All I said is that IMO and for me the bases for those 4 pieces might detract from the pieces and I gave my reasons for thinking that. That isn't me ripping them apart or at all trying to diminish the work of the sculptors and the artists who put the work into making them. I am sorry if that is how I came off actually because that isn't what I was trying to do. It was a challenge from loric that I took to look and provide my honest opinion about, but I didn't state it as a fact. For ME ... and me alone... I wouldn't want Punisher on a bike, Medusa on a giant Lockjaw, or Namor on a Giant Octopus. As I think the guys from XM have even stated before that is fine you don't have to buy the piece, and I haven't. For me I would want to have a base that spoke to the characters differently, but again that is just my opinion, and it was just a mental exercise brought on by Loric's challenge. I like loric challenges they are well thought out and he has an interesting perspective.

As for my Hulk having a massive elaborate base well, I am aware, and I took a chance with it. The same that XM takes all the time to be honest. Having seen a few other pieces here and there I decided to do something completely different in terms of the story and the base. So did I fall short? Oh yeah it is possible... I am not nearly arrogant or egotistical enough to believe that isn't a possibility, which is why I updated the base and made it more compact for a second pass when it was suggested to me. Does it need a third pass?? Yeah maybe, but I am out of time, and if that is going to happen it will be when I know either which way if I made it through round 1 of the contest. If I didn't then you know what I will just keep working on my Hulk... I am having SO much fun it isn't funny.

As for eye rolling at suggestions from an amateur like myself. I am okay with that because I have been thanked by XM for my suggestions in the past, and I never received any harshness from them simply because they as artists know where I am coming from. I am offereing them suggestions to do with as they will. If they like them then they can use them, and if they don't then they don't. Like I said it won't bother me I learned a long time ago that you don't need to be a professional artists to offer critique. Hell my Hulk wouldn't be nearly where it is without the help of several pros, but even more collector friends of mine who simply made awesome suggestions. If I had ignored them because 3/4 of them couldn't sculpt a convincing headsculpt to save their lives my submission for the contest would have been so much worse for it. So I will keep on keeping on, and if and when XM asks me to stop I will.

In the end Divo I apologize for letting lose earlier, but I give what I get. I would love to continue the conversation and discussion in a civilised way.

Frankly, I don't think there is really anything for further discussion, so it's best to leave it at that. Good luck with the contest, and take care.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #144
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Frankly, I don't think there is really anything for further discussion, so it's best to leave it at that. Good luck with the contest, and take care.
Alrighty Divo, thank you for you well wishes, and all the best to you.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #145
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can have a problem with the DD base??? Maybe its too tall? That is to this day one of the best concepts of any statue I have yet to see.

One thing I appreciate about both Divo and Spidey is that you guys are intelligent beings and express your opinions with great clarity...even though I may or may not agree with all of them.

I think in the end, this all goes back to Spiderman 1/4 statue that XM has shown not yet completed. I am willing to bet this will be a highly lauded and sought after Spiderman statue. But, don't think for a minute you have seen the last of the wallcrawler with this Spidey. So many versions and incarnations of the wall crawler you can bet will pop up really, really soon. You can take that to the bank. After all, you have all already seen Iron Spiderman which seems to have been forgotten.

2017 will be sensory overload with X-Men and that other major comic company! Trust me on this! I still don't know how the heck I am going to keep up with the amount of product XM has coming. Don't even get me started on the Star Wars, TF, and other big license(s) coming our way.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #146
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

WTH!
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #147
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post

2017 will be sensory overload with X-Men and that other major comic company! Trust me on this! I still don't know how the heck I am going to keep up with the amount of product XM has coming. Don't even get me started on the Star Wars, TF, and other big license(s) coming our way.
Any Byrne era X-MEN will get my full attention. Especially Cyclops, Storm, and Nightcrawler.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #148
loricstone
Kang

I can't wait to see concepts of more XMen at STGCC...if they are in fact going to show more. So far, we have seen Mr. Sinister, Weapon X...now just to see who else is in the works.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #149
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf-brother View Post
WTH!
Yeah...lots of Batman stuff (that other cool company). Joker, Harley, Poison Ivy, Bane, Batgirl, and more. Not to mention the Dio...all stuff that has already been shown.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #150
Cali604
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
I've asked the same question, and nobody to date has answered with true examples, or with logical insights. I feel it is truly an empty argument, which has caught on like some contagious disease,............and it's spreading. And some actually believe that these vague unfounded claims pass as true artistic critiques, and blindly follow the blind. A pitiful joke. Wake up, and try to appreciate the complex character and environmental designs XM is trying to achieve, as without any doubt, are pushing this art form to truly new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post
Man, so much flaming going on this thread. Personally, I don't think the structure is distracting or take away from the character, like most of XM sculptures, they like to create a whole scene where their bases are more elaborate and contribute to the overall statue than the usual figure on top of a disc-shaped base. Some people hate it and some people like, and you can't satisfy everyone.

This base is not even as complex as Iron Studios, some people call this one distracting, but like IS one. If you don't like elaborate bases, move on, that just your opinions. I don't like disc shaped bases that don't add anything to the over all composition of the sculpture, and will not buy any statues that have it because it bothers me too much. XM bases will probably not change much in the future such as their even more elaborate Weapon X or future statues.

I guess Erick Sosa was right when he was with XM about XM contributing to the change of the statue collecting world. It brings out the good, the bad, fanboys, trolls, haters, competition to existing companies and more choices for consumers.
Just to throw my 2 cents in...I 100% agree with you guys. XM has elevated the statue collecting world by creating these great bases that add to and compliment the characters very well. A lot of people just throw that tired old argument out there that the bases take away from the character but when u ask for examples they dont have much to say. Sure maybe some people like museum poses but as it has been noted there are several Punishers done in that manner.

Punisher on a sick bike that has all these touches (metal frame, real chain) to it...its going to be trip to see that massive piece in person. It will have presence and it all ties into his character. I can just imagine people's WTF moment when they spot that in a collection. So XM didnt keep it simple and for collectors its a great piece of art to collect.

Also when Medusa came out with Lockjaw, nearly all the collectors that gave feedback loved the fact that Lockjaw was added in. He compliments her so well. She looks great sitting on her Hair throne but adding him was how we all recall the Inhumans as he was always with Medusa and Blackbolt it was a great idea to have him seated with the Royal family.

XM has done a good job of reducing bases when they got feedback that it was overpowering and distracting i.e. Spidergwen and Venom. Venom's base was massive and was way too much going on. Then it got reduced and it looks perfect. The paint/colours on the clock tower look amazing and once again adds to Venom incorporating his story into his statue.

So most of the statues I have seen have bases that either compliment the character, help tell a story of their powers or background, and also allow for great details to be added in that elevate the character.

I try to stick to only one character of my favourite characters and if its coming at these price points...I want to get the best representation I can get for that character. So I have XM Batman, Venom, and will be getting Planet Hulk because IMO XM puts a lot of touches that really elevate their statues. XM Thor is another piece I own and he may look simple but check out Smooth Criminal's pics on the Thor thread and it shows how this is the best representation of Classic Thor. I'm scared to see what they do with a Modern Thor.

But when it comes to this Spiderman statue. I will say that when my wife and I saw Iron Studios Spiderman...we both felt that Spiderman got lost within that base. My initial reaction was it looks good, but she found it too distracting. So there are cases where the base can be overpowering. I dont see that here at the moment. When we see him painted we will know more how he works with the base.

But if people want a simple Spiderman that is just showing him, SSC did a pretty decent sculpt. If people want over the top extravagant base Spiderman then there is IS. At the moment XM's looks like a cross between the two. To each their own.
Cali604 is offline   Reply With Quote