Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Y3E
Gen 13

Ebay's Global Shipping Program

Hello to buyers and sellers. Do you have experience with the Global Shipping program? From what I read it is shipping service like UPS and FedEX and they charge buyers upfront for what is calculated as import fees/charge. I just bought something from Ebay and the seller and I were trying to change invoice to use USPS shipping but couldn't, so after many emails I just paid the additional import charge (which is equal to the shipping charge so it doubled my cost) and now the seller is saying it is to be shipped to Kentucky, US? Any one know why it would say shipped to Kentucky instead of my home address (which is in Canada)?

I am not trying to get the seller to ship to my address but no response as of yet.

Any info on this will help.

Thanks.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Underdog07
Hercules

My understanding is that the seller ships it to an ebay agent who then ships it internationally to the buyer
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

I had to use it once. Its only for certain items that you have to use this method. I was paid the cost to send the item to the hub in Kentucky and I have no idea who the buyer paid for the rest of the trip but it wasn't me. I could not change the invoice either it was set at that price and that KY address. It arrived all fine and I got my + feedback so seems ok to me. I think its just a way to help protect sellers from overseas buyers claiming they never got their item. I guess if Ebay themselves ship it there is no chance there can be a claim against me for not sending it.
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Y3E
Gen 13

Thanks Underdog07 and Darth. I did a little research and yes, you're right. The seller ships it to Erlanger, Kentucky, an international distribution center. Also, there is no way for the seller to change shipping services as the buyer's paypal payment is divided in two, shipping cost for seller to distribution center and the rest, shipping and import charges to Phiney and Bowes (something like that), the company handling the Global Shipping program.

In my case, the seller had advertised $28 for shipping and when the auction was over there was a $26+ import charge. Checking my paypal invoice, the seller received $11 for shipping the item to Kentucky and the shipper company received $43.

Lesson learned for me, no more auctions with "Import charges" in the description area.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Underdog07
Hercules

The option should open up more items to international bidders. I often limt auctions to the US because of the requirement that only Express mail is protected.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

I wish I could use it for a lot more items, I hope they expand it later.
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Hello to buyers and sellers. Do you have experience with the Global Shipping program? From what I read it is shipping service like UPS and FedEX and they charge buyers upfront for what is calculated as import fees/charge. I just bought something from Ebay and the seller and I were trying to change invoice to use USPS shipping but couldn't, so after many emails I just paid the additional import charge (which is equal to the shipping charge so it doubled my cost) and now the seller is saying it is to be shipped to Kentucky, US? Any one know why it would say shipped to Kentucky instead of my home address (which is in Canada)?
I haven't looked into this option completely yet. But posts here are right. Basically eBay is becoming a deputy service. I've had some International buyers use a deputy service/dropoff location before. But eBay is getting in on it. As a seller, I'm naturally wary as eBay only protects the buyers anyway. I need to read how eBay handles the packages once they go to their location.

But the option seems good for sellers because International shipping rates with tracking and delivery confirmation are crazy expensive. And eBay will not back you at all if you don't have a record of confirmed delivery.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Y3E
Gen 13

I'm bringing this thread back to life.

I see more and more US sellers using Global Shipping program and although I'm glad sellers get more protection, I find it ridiculous when items that normally would not have a custom fee charged to it (by Canada) will now be charged import tax. I used to buy a lot of things from the US and very few would have import charges (out of 10 items maybe only 1) but I now look for products overseas.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I read though the Global Terms and details. I decided it's not for me.

Actually, I'm going to stop selling on eBay as soon as I rid myself of more stuff. Maybe I'll sell something on occasion. But I'm hoping someone comes out with another actual auction site which eBay isn't anymore since they have all these buyer guarantees. I've noticed all these site updates and eBay telling people to "start shopping" not "start bidding." More and more "Buy it Now" things. eBay wants to be on par with Amazon as a place to shop. Not a place to bid on items. Sellers have little to no power. I think most know it too. Since they can't leave negative feedback only rebuttal comments.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order

Why would people want to use a middle man to ship from New York to Toronto?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote