Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #21
Sithlord32
New Republic

Looks great thus far in terms of proportions and the sculpt. I would have to agree that generally Roman mythology tend to be a bit drab when it comes to imagining these characters. They always seem to fall into the cookie cutter terminology. Two things though. The positioning of her leg as it is on the step with her hip and the bend in her foot looks odd as if the mechanics are skewed a bit and her out reached hand also seems to be a gesture with quite enough emphasis as though its just there because there wasnt anything else to do with it.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #22
Weiworks
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Thank you for responding. Just a few lines, but plenty of food for thought!

I'm curious why you call this a "toy", I always assumed that sculptors would see their work as art, given the target audience of course. Not always, but the word " toy" usually has derogatory connotations with an item viewed as "throw away" or something to be played with by an adolescent.

I understand your point about wanting to create a sexy figure, and you've certainly achieved that goal, in fact, I would suggest that being sexy would be a key defining point of Hera....but while sex sells, so does character! I guess, as a collector, I would like to see something that wow's me and compells me to not only buy this figure, but invest in the whole line.

The sad truth is, and I say this respectfully, everyone knows that sex sells! There are countless artists out there who can and do produce "sexy" sculpts. You would be an exception to the rule if you produced a non sexy sculpt.

The question is, why should someone pick this sexy sculpt out of the multitude of sexy sculpts? I guess the answer should be, that this, unlike the others, is a sexy sculpt of Hera. And my "point of debate" comes full circle.

Anyway, I'll say no more on the point. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this and I wish the line every success!
Thanks Silas. I hope it does well. If not, the subsequent ones will just have to get better and better.

Yes, sex does sell. But I didn't do it for that. I designed it that way because I'm probably just another pervert=), or Otaku to give it a better name. My previous statue, the Lady Dragon, has the same erotic theme, so it's truly an expression of my art.

Thanks, -Wei
Weiworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:30 AM   #23
playa7
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiworks View Post
Athena is what I'm working on right now=).
So looking forward to seeing this!
playa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:56 AM   #24
Weiworks
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa7 View Post
So looking forward to seeing this!
Next month I'll have enough progress on Athena to show it here.

Thanks, -Wei
Weiworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:56 AM   #25
playa7
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Next month I'll have enough progress on Athena to show it here.

Thanks, -Wei
Sweet! I'll look forward to all your updates on this line.
playa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #26
blueyell
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Thanks Silas. I hope it does well. If not, the subsequent ones will just have to get better and better.

Yes, sex does sell. But I didn't do it for that. I designed it that way because I'm probably just another pervert=), or Otaku to give it a better name. My previous statue, the Lady Dragon, has the same erotic theme, so it's truly an expression of my art.

Thanks, -Wei
Are your future statues going to be anatomically correct for the lower part?
blueyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #27
3stun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
The question is, why should someone pick this sexy sculpt out of the multitude of sexy sculpts?
Any examples of realistic-style pretty looking female character statues? From what I know, Yamato Fantasy Figure Gallery and Gentle Giant Sucker Punch & Honey Trap lines are the only ones. As for Sideshow PF's, in most cases they look too cartoonish, to my liking. Look at Wonder Woman or Emma Frost, they might be great as popular character reproductions, but also miles away from, say, Ritual or Luz Malefic, whenn it comes to realism. If this new line aims at realism, as FFG did - I'm all in!
3stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #28
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
What I like most is a nice female body. I'm new to sculpting toys but currently that's what I'm trying to bring to the table, a really sexy looking figure. Nothing too deep or philosophical. Everything starts with the body for me, then I design the necessary elements around it.

But you have good advice and point well taken. Thanks, -Wei
I think this is a solid goal and his use of "toys" really keeps this in perspective of not taking any of this too seriously. It emphasizes that these are for fun and enjoyment.

For most guys sexy girl figures are fun and desirable because well we like and desire girls with sexy figures.

Many sculpts try to hide or justify the sex appeal of the figure with a character but Wei isn't trying to do that which I think is refreshing.

I don't know of any sculptor's work I've seen where I want to buy all his females so far other than Wei. Maybe Mike Cusanelli, and that is quite a complement.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #29
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyell View Post
Are your future statues going to be anatomically correct for the lower part?
Notwithstanding Wei's own personal views on the matter Yamato is a Japanese company and many asian cultures including Japan's are deeply offended by lower anatomy to the point of legal action as evidenced by their censorship standards.

So even if Wei was all for it he may meet resistance. Yes I know many PVCs still do it anyways.

Would love to see it though.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #30
blueyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Notwithstanding Wei's own personal views on the matter Yamato is a Japanese company and many asian cultures including Japan's are deeply offended by lower anatomy to the point of legal action as evidenced by their censorship standards.

So even if Wei was all for it he may meet resistance. Yes I know many PVCs still do it anyways.

Would love to see it though.
Yamato is okay with it, the Fantasy Figure Gallery
Hajime Sorayama Latex Doll has lower parts once the cast off clothing is removed.

Took a bit to find the pic:

http://www.archonia.com/comicshop/en/article/167030
blueyell is offline   Reply With Quote