Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 03-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #411
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Just read " The Private Eye" HC .. by Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin.

What an excellent book.

If you want to try it: http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/tpeye

It's a Name your price , digital buy.. which BKV and MM have tried, Not sure how it works, but seems you can also check it out free i guess.
But a collected HC exists, which is landscape format and is a fabulous read.
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #412
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahman View Post
Just read " The Private Eye" HC .. by Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin.

What an excellent book.
I'd been meaning to read this, and it turns out that my public library has a copy, along with another of BKV's books: We Stand on Guard. Thanks for the reminder!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #413
risingstar
Jedi Order

Gotham Central - Book 3 - ''On the Freak Beat'' - by Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, and Michael Lark and various - 9.5/10
- Collects issues 23-31

Again - this is an excellent book. I enjoyed every page. Very highly recommended.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #414
risingstar
Jedi Order

Justice - Volumes 1-3 - by Alex Ross, Jim Krueger, and Doug Braithwaite - 6/10
- Collects issues 1-12

This book tried to be the ultimate Justice League adventure. However, in the end, it ultimately felt more like a failed attempt to be more clever than everything else being produced at the time in comics. It felt drawn out, convoluted, at times awfully unclear and overreaching, and well, not all that entertaining. While it was nice to see Alex Ross paints, even if only over Doug Braithwaite's pencils, it didn't really feel like authentic Ross. I much prefer his personal artistic vision.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #415
Babytoxie
Ghost

Excellent points about Alex Ross, and I wholeheartedly agree. One of the unfortunate results of his success is that no one will tell him "no". He's been given free rein on a slew of overblown and pointless vanity projects like this, particularly at Dynamite Comics. While I still hold Marvels, Kingdom Come, and his other early work in high regard, I've hit my limit with him.

And while we're on the subject of hitting limits, how about Warren Ellis? For a time, he was one of my favorite comic writers, but this was mainly due to his earlier works such as Stormwatch/The Authority, Planetary, Ministry of Space, and Newuniversal. Unfortunately, these innovative and detailed storylines have given way to a current abundance of lackluster and rushed work, and now that I've finally gotten around to reading MOON KNIGHT VOLUME 1: FROM THE DEAD, I'm disappointed to find that it's more of the same. These single-issue tales have interesting concepts that would work well if they were expanded upon. Instead, we get clipped dialog and one-liners, along with page-eating action sequences from Declan Shalvey. As a result, this 6-issue collected edition can be finished in about half an hour, with no fear of missing any details.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #416
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Excellent points about Alex Ross, and I wholeheartedly agree. One of the unfortunate results of his success is that no one will tell him "no". He's been given free rein on a slew of overblown and pointless vanity projects like this, particularly at Dynamite Comics. While I still hold Marvels, Kingdom Come, and his other early work in high regard, I've hit my limit with him.

And while we're on the subject of hitting limits, how about Warren Ellis? For a time, he was one of my favorite comic writers, but this was mainly due to his earlier works such as Stormwatch/The Authority, Planetary, Ministry of Space, and Newuniversal. Unfortunately, these innovative and detailed storylines have given way to a current abundance of lackluster and rushed work, and now that I've finally gotten around to reading MOON KNIGHT VOLUME 1: FROM THE DEAD, I'm disappointed to find that it's more of the same. These single-issue tales have interesting concepts that would work well if they were expanded upon. Instead, we get clipped dialog and one-liners, along with page-eating action sequences from Declan Shalvey. As a result, this 6-issue collected edition can be finished in about half an hour, with no fear of missing any details.
This is the first time that i hear anyone say anything negative about Ellis's Moon Knight. I will read it someday nevertheless, actually waiting for somekind of HC treatment.

The Moon Knight comics which i read before were all dissappointments including Bendis&Maleev run which i expected so much from. :/ But everyone was saying Ellis's Moon Knight was so good until i read your review...You can ask '' why do you keep coming back, if everything you read were terrible so far'' well... I have a thing for vigilantes in costumes who have no powers, look at my avatar I don't read super hero comics expecting to find something so detailed so i hope i will like Ellis's Moon Knight but we will see.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #417
Babytoxie
Ghost

I'm definitely in the minority...
Old 04-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #418
protector2814
Phoenix

Moon Knight is a character I LOVED when first introduced. I collected every issue of his 1st series. After that, I've probably dipped my toe in every other run that's carries his name & have never found anything near as good as the original Doug Moench/ Bill Sienkiewicz beginnings.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #419
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Moon Knight is a character I LOVED when first introduced. I collected every issue of his 1st series. After that, I've probably dipped my toe in every other run that's carries his name & have never found anything near as good as the original Doug Moench/ Bill Sienkiewicz beginnings.
Moon Knight Epic Collection vol. 1 and 2 collects the first 23 issues of the run but why did they keep the last 3 issues, 24-26 out ? i don't know... may be they will make a vol. 3 and add them in it but it's kind of lame of them to just leave last 3 issues out.

I will get the epics. I have never read those issues.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #420
protector2814
Phoenix

IMO, they made him just too batsh*t crazy. Moench played the crazy angle on occasion in the original run, but multiple personalities were used as more of a ruse to get Mark Spector in or out of situations he needed to use in order to investigate or to solve crimes. Writers since have used his m-p-d & psychosis as a means of unfettered writing ("no rules, man") & character creativity, which I've tried to follow over the years but have always ended up giving up on.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote