Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Horror Comic Covers

Since it's October (or almost), & Halloween is not too far off, I thought it might be fun to post pictures of Horror Comic Covers that have caught our eye over the years. I have several of the EC slipcased collections, & several of the IDW collections, so I can dig pretty deep for inspiration. Feel free to post anything you feel is scary, well executed, or just caught your eye w/ a horror theme.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I really need to get a collection of the old EC stories.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

Joe - I have the Vault of Horror, Tales From The Crypt, Shock Suspense stories, & Crime Suspense Stories, slip cased editions containing, I believe, full runs. They did reprint several of the glorious covers on each edition, front & back & on the slip case, front & back, but the comics inside are reprinted in B&W. Still, I picked them up as the rolled out at my lcs, paying, I think, around $100 for each set. Still, I see them on occasion, on ebay for little more. You should keep your eyes peeled because they do come up every now & then & are incredibly worth it. I really think the terms "box-set" & "slip cased" throw a lot of potential buyers/bidders off from these. I don't think a lot of collectors know they even exist & end up finding single volume, bound editions released at different times.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Joe - I have the Vault of Horror, Tales From The Crypt, Shock Suspense stories, & Crime Suspense Stories, slip cased editions containing, I believe, full runs. They did reprint several of the glorious covers on each edition, front & back & on the slip case, front & back, but the comics inside are reprinted in B&W. Still, I picked them up as the rolled out at my lcs, paying, I think, around $100 for each set. Still, I see them on occasion, on ebay for little more. You should keep your eyes peeled because they do come up every now & then & are incredibly worth it. I really think the terms "box-set" & "slip cased" throw a lot of potential buyers/bidders off from these. I don't think a lot of collectors know they even exist & end up finding single volume, bound editions released at different times.

Jerry, I kid you NOT. I'm sitting in my car as I type this, having come out of my LCS with this beautiful box set in hand. My lcs owner just got this in last week, I saw it on his shelf 10 minutes ago, and it now is mine!

Now to drive home and pour through it!!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

Joe - Can't believe you scored this in October. Your Halloween reading is set for the month. I leave mine out all month just to pick up & read a story or two when the mood strikes. Congratz!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

alright have to start focusing on ebay for the sets. When I was a kid, our library had a couple books where they had collections of some of these comics. I swear I would check them out at least three times a year to read them.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
ftrez
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
alright have to start focusing on ebay for the sets. When I was a kid, our library had a couple books where they had collections of some of these comics. I swear I would check them out at least three times a year to read them.
I don't know what those sets are going for these days but, if they're too expensive, I think Dark Horse has taken over the EC license and is releasing hardcover Archive editions. Probably not oversized but they should have nice reproduction.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

There's a set on ebay now for under 2, but I've seen them recently for lower than that. I think you should be able to score these for between 125 & 150 tops.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EC-Archives-...item35dd656a4c
Old 10-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Jerry, I kid you NOT. I'm sitting in my car as I type this, having come out of my LCS with this beautiful box set in hand. My lcs owner just got this in last week, I saw it on his shelf 10 minutes ago, and it now is mine!

Now to drive home and pour through it!!
NICE!
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
protector2814
Phoenix

always loved this one -

grabbed this when it came out those many moons ago.

anyone remember this one?

Man, I remember when Halloween Specials were the norm.