Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #11
Sgt Taz
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Not sure if you're just being sarcastic or not, but I think he meant to say "now".
Actualy I wasnt. Your version makes more sense obviously, though the t and w are rather far apart on the keyboard for such a mistake. Maybe he meant something else altogether
Sgt Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Taz View Post
Actualy I wasnt. Your version makes more sense obviously, though the t and w are rather far apart on the keyboard for such a mistake. Maybe he meant something else altogether
You'd think that but I've made some really weird misspells in my day..missing keys by huge margins hehe. The brain will fart at times.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #13
Spatial.Archite
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Not sure if you're just being sarcastic or not, but I think he meant to say "now". It was only a matter of time. The Wii's a neat gimmick and all, but the games have been crap for the most part (except for first party games) I'm a lazy gamer. Most people are I'd imagine. I don't like having to use muscles to play games LOL. Even if it's just a little. It's really hard for me at least to not prefer the old fashion way.

I don't know if Bulls is right or not, but signs do seem to point in that direction. Publishers aren't too happy with the poor software sales on the Wii. People are buying the system out of curiosity and then collecting dust with it. Even awesome games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime are experiencing slow sales. It looks like once people have the system, they're satisfied and then they move on to the 360 and PS3 games. Great for Nintendo, but bad for everyone else. Not a good formula for a long life cycle.
The PS3 outsold the Wii in November in Japan with the price-cut, but the Wii is outselling the PS3 again; the real question was how much the Wii shortage affected their sales (and that there's still a shortage over a year after release). Shouldn't be taken out of context though, it wasn't long ago that the 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan (which is a major shock as Japan seems to hate all things Xbox). Sales for Galaxy were pretty good; over 1.2 million copies in November alone. I think 3rd-party games will sell better when 3rd-parties actually make better games instead of just trying to ride the success.

I find it very unlikely that the PS3 will ever lead in total units though; it started out way too far behind and several developers favor the 360 as it has a much larger user base, and is easier (and cheaper) to develop for. Sell-through data still puts the 360 at having twice the sold units, and a very solid library of exclusives.

And all indications point to the Wii breaking most (if not all) console sales records. Nintendo's brilliance this generation is understanding the market and current global economy, not the motion-sensitive controller. Nintendo's in a position that by Christmas time next year, they'll probably drop the price considerably and introduce new colors and they'll still be hard as hell to find. In fact, Nintendo's stopped advertising the Wii 'cause they cannot meet demand, I've never heard of anything like that.

Microsoft seems to think they've defeated Sony this generation (they might be right, but I think it's too early to make that call still), but they see Nintendo as a threat and you can tell by the way they're pushing "Family friendly" software and "party games." Same thing with Sony; neither Sony or Microsoft talk about each other all that much anymore... all points seem to be directed toward the Wii.

I'm all for all three systems surviving, but I think it's still a little too early to call. For instance, while PS3 sales are up quite a bit, in North America for the month of November the PS3 was outsold by every other system.

DS - 1.53 million
Wii - 981,000
360 - 770,000
PSP - 567,000
PS2 - 500,000
PS3 - 466,000
Spatial.Archite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #14
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatial.Archite View Post
I'm all for all three systems surviving, but I think it's still a little too early to call. For instance, while PS3 sales are up quite a bit, in North America for the month of November the PS3 was outsold by every other system.
With the numbers of PS3s selling i see no problems seeing the system surviving at all. Its easily on a par with the XBox on its first year of sales. Remember there is a big world outside the USA
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #15
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

I meant to say that the PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan
cougartrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #16
Red X
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Uhh, actually Mario Galaxy is selling very well, and is the 2nd best selling game in November next to Call of Duty 4, it sold over a million copies worldwide.

In terms of specific hardware sales, Nintendo still sits atop the pack, despite supply chain restrictions on Wii production. According to NPD, Nintendo sold 1.53 million DS units and 981,000 Wiis in November. Microsoft sold a solid 770,000 Xbox 360s. Sony moved 466,000 PlayStation 3s; 496,000 PS2s; and 466,000 PS3s.

According to NPD, the double-shot of a timely price cut and holiday season momentum gave the PS3 the biggest sales boost of any hardware platform. Sony's flagship machine saw a 285 percent increase in sales in November over October.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/841/841468p1.html

And the quote from the Europe sales:

"According to Sony Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer, the PS3 is now selling 200,000 consoles per week in Europe. He also notes that the system is selling 40,000 to 50,000 units per week in Japan. "

Also I don't see how the hell the PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan if it beat its December 2006 sales by 60 percent to achieve its best sales month to date...No way, no how.
Red X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red X View Post
Uhh, actually Mario Galaxy is selling very well, and is the 2nd best selling game in November next to Call of Duty 4, it sold over a million copies worldwide.

In terms of specific hardware sales, Nintendo still sits atop the pack, despite supply chain restrictions on Wii production. According to NPD, Nintendo sold 1.53 million DS units and 981,000 Wiis in November. Microsoft sold a solid 770,000 Xbox 360s. Sony moved 466,000 PlayStation 3s; 496,000 PS2s; and 466,000 PS3s.

According to NPD, the double-shot of a timely price cut and holiday season momentum gave the PS3 the biggest sales boost of any hardware platform. Sony's flagship machine saw a 285 percent increase in sales in November over October.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/841/841468p1.html

And the quote from the Europe sales:

"According to Sony Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer, the PS3 is now selling 200,000 consoles per week in Europe. He also notes that the system is selling 40,000 to 50,000 units per week in Japan. "

Also I don't see how the hell the PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan if it beat its December 2006 sales by 60 percent to achieve its best sales month to date...No way, no how.
It's just what I read on CNN. I don't know if it is true. Just like you don't really know if your facts are true. Who really knows the truth?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #18
Red X
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougartrace View Post
It's just what I read on CNN. I don't know if it is true. Just like you don't really know if your facts are true. Who really knows the truth?
I do!

Seriously though, I trust IGN more than CNN, CNN knows nothing of video games.
Red X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #19
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red X View Post
I do!

Seriously though, I trust IGN more than CNN, CNN knows nothing of video games.
Point taken, but IGN is getting the facts probably from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. So, you know you can trust those numbers
Old 12-14-2007, 03:05 PM   #20
snappahead
Producer
Producer

I said slow sales, which I think is true for a new Mario game. Especially for a system that desperately needs good games. Metroid too. Numbers could be better for what could arguably be considered the biggest games the Wii will ever have... Yes, they're selling well, but considering the situation, they should be selling better IMO.

Systems sales are only a small part of the equation. Software sales are what keep a console alive. Slow software sales on the Wii are going to eventually scare away the big publishers and then we'll have another Gamecube on our hands. A system that only has first party games worth buying. In which case, you're only talking about a couple good games a year. Just saying... I don't believe Nintendo will win this cycle...not a chance IMO. The DS is another story.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote