Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > From our Bench

Old 08-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #41
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondog View Post
Also, I'd like to hear what you guys think about this as well, as it may be arduous to repost even recent threads verbatim, maybe as a way of re-inducting the forum, various sculptors populating the site should start with a sort of war journal thread, a quick 'best of' summary of the stuff they may have lost in the cull. Then at their leisure they could add to it or start newer threads as newer pieces come. This way not all is lost, but the first week of the forum isn't barebones from fear or flooded with masses of re-threads
I like it. Why don't you spearhead that if you can? You know the rule changes so you can probably answer questions they might have. Have them create their original thread on Sunday and Monday we will kick them off. I know space might be limited (as in amount of pics for a single post) but it would be a great starting point and we could have quite a few threads opening up at the same time.

If you have any questions, pm me. I won't be on much tomorrow but I'll be on for a bit tonight. Need to get some sleep so don't send it too late.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #42
Boondog
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
Sculptor

Cool, alright, hear that guys? I'm gonna pm all the site sculptors I can think of, but if you're a sculptor with history on this site start day one off with a bang, pick a tight collection of your favorite stuff that you may have lost when the forum fell and compile it into a Day 1 War Journal. We'll get the forum back on it's feet in the first day and then we get get back to business of real time clay-slinging (or wax, but you can't really sling wax I guess, you're either gonna make a mess or break something... people DON'T SLING YOUR WAX)
Boondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #43
astromerc
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Could someone put up a thread on how to obtain a legal license from the different companies with details with links?

Thanks
astromerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #44
WRossi
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod View Post
WR: I'm not going to ban you because you disagree with me. I would ban you if you broke my rules or felt that you were being disrespectful. I could debate you but in the end it probably won't change your opinion. But, for you or anyone to be upset at me for the changes that have to be made, that's pretty selfish.
Myself, along with others, have worked hard on this site. We don't force anyone to join and don't really ask for that much considering what you get in return.

If one can display just a single piece of work here, one should be grateful. Grateful because someone is providing them a portal for an opportunity to grow. The amount of people that have been able to make some type of income, hobby or career via this portal that we have provided is pretty good. Thankfully, many of those are still here trying to give back and help young artists.

I'm not asking anyone to like or throw a pep rally about the rule changes. I'm just asking to play by them. If anyone feels that it's not worth their time to display or view, that is their choice as well. If anyone feels that they truly cannot portray their artistic ability if they cannot freely show every canvas that is tossed in front of them, maybe one underestimates the viewers.

If we didn't love the art, do you really think we would be spending all this time in making and maintaining this forum? Do you think I randomly choose a section to mess with because I have the power to do so and want to exercise my dictatorship abilities? How long do you really think this forum would last if I allow everyone to display whatever they want, anywhere they want in the name of art and freedom of expression? After a team of lawyers shut me down then what? You go to the next site and do the same?

If you want to rally some troops and go to DC or Marvel's office to demand more rights, I'll give you an address and even a phone number. I'm just asking you not to do it here. Considering that 10 years ago you didn't see all these artists, manufacturers and property owners hang out some much and so often in the same place, I'm pretty happy at what we have so far even if it's controlled.

my only issue with this is i feel like its tailored. its kinda like favoritism.maybe not directly, but if your making any kind of money off a piece you dont own the rights to isn't it the same thing. If i take a batman SS and turn it into a wolverine, a character i have no rights to that's OK? under the pretense its only for myself, i can easily do that too but i just want to understand the reasoning because i don't.

@skinsd
Granted i only have 200 odd posts but im trying to figure out if its worth it for me anymore,maybe in my shoes youd feel the same. thanks for the stats by the way ,curious how many views i totaled though?
WRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #45
Darkeye
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Location: i live in a small village near Aylesbury in Buclinghamshire, UK
i'll happily post my sketchy efforts. War Journal it is..... Look forward to supporting the new forum.

atb --tim
Darkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #46
Titanchuck
Cyclops
Adamantium Member

Can we still post pics of newly acquired painted and assembled kits in our collection thread?
Titanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #47
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromerc View Post
Could someone put up a thread on how to obtain a legal license from the different companies with details with links?

Thanks
im sure you could Google a contact number. but its going to cost tens of thousands of dollars to dish out to acquire one. but they dont just hand out licenses to just anyone. specially if they have issued licenses to other companies that are making certain products for them already. a lot of stipulations and is quite complicated.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #48
astromerc
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Okay so I think we all know what we can and cannot do here. This is a great place I found it back in 04 I have learned some things here and I have enjoyed the efforts of all, off and on over the years.
Some of us come to show our work for help, others for ego or both, but we also want to make money from our talents as well. Why can we not do both? I know the obvious reasons, but here is an idea:

Setting up people that want to buy these sculptures with people that want to make them, like a “dating” service or and kind of Dc/Marvel “ebay” system where collectors who want to get custom commissions can come to this site and artists who want show their skills and possibly someone from Marvel/DC can vet the person so people are not ripped off. This would be a away to allow special collectors to get the custom statue they have always wanted without fear of getting ripped off or any of the other pitfalls that go with having custom sculpts made. Moreover Marvel/Dc etc gets their cut and can grow a new market out of this “seedy” part of commissions, because Marvel/DC/Etc ARE missing out on money. This could be a way of getting it back, and keep customers and the artists who love to immortalize these awesome properties happy?
Yes you already have Side Show, Bowen and he rest but, it is clearly no enough and again these are Special Collectors not the run of the mill. The sculpts would be limited to a small number of people or just one. Marvel/DC/Etc would to be in control.

This place sometimes reminds me of a “red light district” for sculptures. I know that Art directors legal people and other toymakers who own licenses monitor this site and come down like the feds during a drug raid. Yet I believe their can be a compromise so we all get what we all want.

So what does everyone think? Am I crazy? I am not trying to start trouble I just want to find a new solution. If this looks too dumb? d_rod if it does please just delete this ramble

Thanks,

Astromerc
astromerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #49
tamato
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRossi View Post
you are 100% correct.
its really semantics at this point,all issues can be argued to a stand still by both sides, this is dumb. in the year i've been on this site i learned so much and could only imagine what more i could learn if these unfortunate rules weren't forced by " the you know who youe are's".
The painters getting hit on this is moronic and the way these rules have been tailored to fit the few is shameful. Some of the same people who are preaching in the "dictator " like fashion,(good word for this by the way Andrew) are on other forums being "the you know who you are's". I know, I know what happens on other sites isn't statueforums problem. Just sad and disappointed the painters are getting hit, we have nothing to do with the commissioning of kits we just apply the color and we are not selling kits or the representation of licensed charcters ,we just add pigment..lol. We want to show off our hard work and be proud regardless what the platform for the expression is.
We can blame the big companies for coming down on this situation but they don't run this site or make the new rules ,they just complained forcing the action. The same way people don't own rights to their properties they in turn own no right to this site. Think about that people. Through paint we display our right of speech through artistic expression plain and simple. If we are not allowed to do that, is that not as bad as the recasters and kit-makers. on one hand you have some one breaking rights and the other bottle necking them until they cannot be expressed in ways the individual sees fit?
I',m so disappointed in these painting restrictions and however they were made.I feel like im a kid again and found out santa wasn't real or that day when you were younger and realized these heros we cherish dearly could never exist, it mirrors the current situation just replace the word heroes with forum.

Now im sure this post will ruffle a few feathers,im not looking to start a argument but if people are butt hurt by this that will show their stance i guess at the least and if i get banned it was a pleasure to work and grow alongside my fellow peers,you guys are great, best wishes -WR
Wait... SANTA ISN'T REAL?!!!!!!
tamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #50
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astromerc View Post

Thanks
I've wondered this myself. I guess it requires inquiry on the individual or company that wants to acquire the license...at least that is my guess.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote