Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
The Lone Ranger #2
Dynamite Entertainment
Written by: Brett Matthews
Drawn by: Sergio Cariello
Cover Artist & Art Direction: John Cassaday

OK, I just read this book and I have to say this series is impressing the hell out of me after only 2 issues. I admit, this issue was a little slow but it was all about exploring John Reid's pain over the loss of his father and brother and the nascent relationship developing between John and the man who saved his life, Tonto. The interesting thing here is that, though John clearly is becoming a man driven to vengeance and justice, it is Tonto who at this point is in charge. His persona in this book is very different than the more subserviant character Jay Silverheels portrayed on the silver and small screen. Tonto is one scary character, bearing a slight resemblance to John Buscema's Conan, and John in this issue develops a healthy respect for him that partly is born out of fear. And any lone man who can kill ten assassins as Tonto did is worthy of plenty of fear. In fact, Tonto towers over Reid who still appears to be a slip of a man, not much more than a boy, at this point. It's hard to imaging how this angry but slight man will become The Lone Ranger of legend.

Also, in this issue we learn more about Julius Bartholomew, but here known also as Black Bart. He is not the man who ordered the killing of the Rangers that put four bullets in Reid, killed his father and brother and the rest of the Rangers, but he appears to be that man's muscle, his enforcer. And we learn that he's crafty, clever and sadistically brutal in ways that harken to one of the most horrific practices of Nazi Germany.

This issue is an inflection point in the evolution of John Reid into The Lone Ranger but is not the turning point. I believe that will happen next issue, based on the last page of this issue, but maybe not. Regardless, it doesn't matter to me, I can wait. This is outstanding storytelling that is deliberately paced and beautifully drawn and colored. The relationship between Reid and Tonto is one I am very much looking forward to seeing evolve. And the build up to the action that's coming, how Reid acquires his famous horse, Silver, whether or not he goest the silver bullet route, the creation of his masked identity, these are all things I'm very much looking forward to experiencing. This is not a hokey, cliched, corny recreation of a famous but stale old movie and TV serial. This is a fresh, vibrant story raw with pain and emotion and a budding sense of loyalty that any lover of comics should pick up and read.
My apologies for the bump but, seriously, is no one else reading The Lone Ranger? Any comments, discussion? Thanks.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #32
bat_collector
Galactus

I might pick up the trade joe
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #33
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I, for one, am very happy to see this series get the attention, respect and phenomenal sales it so deserves:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=87898
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #34
bat_collector
Galactus

that black and white cover is sweet!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote