Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 01-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wktf's and Sam Wilson's Reviews - 1/18/06

Wktf’s Reviews

Well, with Bowen Design’s Vision full-size statue and Marvel Masterworks Hulk 3 coming out this week, that’s $200 spent even before picking up my comics! Ugh. I think it’s time to start the reviews rather than dwell on money spent, right?

Sgt. Rock: The Prophecy #1 of 6
DC Comics
Written by: Joe Kubert
Drawn by: Joe Kubert

When thinking of legendary comic book creators, along with the likes of Jack Kirby and Will Eisner, Joe Kubert most certainly must come to mind. He has been working in the field since 1937, at the ripe old age of 11, and has produced ground breaking stories (many of which he wrote and drew) for characters such as DC’s Tarzan, Enemy Ace, Batman, Hawkman and, of course, Sgt. Rock. He also founded the first and only accredited school devoted solely to the art of cartoon graphics, The Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art, Inc. As his early Sgt. Rock stories prove, Kubert is famous for his gut-wrenching WWII stories. In 2003 I was lucky enough to pick up “Yossel, April 19, 1943,” Kubert’s incredibly powerful story of a young Jewish boy who lived and died during the WWII Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. This book is captivating but, be warned, it pulls no punches in depicting the horrors of this time…a time Kubert narrowly escaped thanks to his parents’ escaping from Poland to America in 1926.

Suffice it to say, Joe Kubert is a storytelling genius. He perfectly blends art and the written word so that both integrate to tell and move the story forward. That genius is in full force in “Sgt. Rock: The Prophecy,” and this book is my pick of the week. For instance, the open page of this comic shows the town of Vilnus, in 1943 Lithuania, completely destroyed by war. And under the wreckage is a small, sad, charred dog who extricates himself from the debris around him to forage for food. From there we cut to Sgt. Rock and the other members of Easy Company parachuting into the “tortured landscape” of Vilnus, scouting the surroundings, establishing their contact there, dodging incoming shell fire, and taking shelter. Six pages after first seeing our forlorn pooch, he reappears only to be protected by Dozer, possibly Easy Company’s largest and strongest member. Enough had happened in those six pages that the dog might easily be forgotten by this point, but he serves not only to provide continuity to and advance the story as well as highlight an important aspect of Bull’s personality but also to provide a warm, loving contrast to the brutality of war. Kubert’s art is more than just great pictures. I wish artists like Jim Lee, who draws wonderful pictures, could enroll in a course at the Kubert School so they could learn to better use their drawing ability to better tell stories in addition to drawing terrific pictures.

Easy Company is in Luthania, a no man’s land of sorts between Germany and Russia, to secure a “very valuable object” that they must take back to their Commander in the US. Vilnus has been brutalized by both the Nazis and the Russians as the two sides have battled each other in this unfortunate province. Bodies have been hung out for display. Death camps have been established. Death is everywhere. Easy Company and their surroundings are colored in muted, washed duo-tones rather than full color to better portray their awful surroundings. Ultimately, while I’m not entirely sure the direction this mini series is going, I sure love this first issue. And, while it’s cool that each Kubert family member (Joe, the father, and Andy and Adam, the sons) each drew a cover variant for this book, you most certainly should pick up the Joe Kubert cover which harkens back to his 1960s Sgt. Rock covers where the Sarge, looking like a ghost, speaks directly to the reader about the horror of war. It’s spooky and best sets the tone for the contents inside.

Infinite Crisis #4 of 7
DC Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Phil Jimenez, George Perez & Ivan Reis

Well, the first three issues were BIG issues, and this issue proves to be pivotal not just because of its placement in the center of the series. We learn an awful lot here. Trying not to spoil anything by not divulging the insights themselves, we are told who the force was behind the gathering of Villains United (but, then, that really was revealed last issue), we also learn who it was that made Batman’s Brother Eye satellite sentient in The OMAC Project, how it is that planets had begun realigning, how it happened and the significance of Oa’s displacement from the center of the universe, how the Anti-Monitor’s corpse showed up last issue and, dare I say it, we are shown who the Spectre’s new human host is going to be (and Spectre’s pleading with God for forgiveness is wonderfully scary). It turns out I was right after all when, last week, I said the events in Gotham Central tied to the most recent “Days of Vengeance” one shot. I just wasn’t totally, completely right about the details. But I’m excited about this last event in a major way. We also are treated to a cameo return of a hero long thought dead from the first Crisis story as well as what seems like a renewed bond between Batman and Nightwing.

We also clearly are shown Earth Prime Superboy’s and Earth 2 Luthor’s true colors. And, I must say, they do not share Earth 2 Superman’s altruism. But, then, you knew that from the last issue, as well. The Jim Lee cover (I prefer the Perez covers, myself) sports a confrontation between the Earth Prime and Earth 1 Superboys and most certainly this show down is the central event of this book. The sudden horror of Earth Prime Superboy’s unexpected, brutal actions are just incredibly shocking. Inexplicable, even...even, it seems, to Earth Prime Superboy. Frankly, I don’t understand it, but am hoping I will over the next few issues. If I have any complaint with this story it’s that the creators throw in everything that they possibly can cram into this issue. But what a hell of an issue it is and, as has been the case throughout this series, the ending is a brand new shocker. If you’re not reading this series you are completely missing out on the event series that truly delivers.

All Star Superman #2
DC Comics
Written by: Grant Morrison
Drawn by: Frank Quitely

I didn’t much like the first issue in this new series. I couldn’t get past how doofy Quitely made Superman look or how emaciated Lois and Luthor appeared. But the trade press loved the book so I thought, maybe, I wasn’t being fair. And, loving the Superman character but hating the direction of the Superman books over the last few years, I decided to give this another spin. Okay, I’m glad I did. For one thing, Superman looks less like Jay Leno and more like the Curt Swan Superman of old, at least in his facial features.

Last issue, Superman took a massive bath in the heart of the sun. The yellow sun exposure tripled his strength and also increased his intellect, curiosity and creativity. It also was more radiation than his cells could handle and now he’s dying, it turns out. As a result, Superman has decided he needs to make up some lost time with Lois. Last issue Clark revealed his secret to her and now, this issue, brings her to his Fortress of Solitude for a tour, a little dinner, and to give her a radical birthday present of his own creation. In fact, not a whole lot happens in this issue but the interplay between Lois and Superman feels genuine and Lois’ suspicions are kind of fun, as is the working tour of the Fortress where we see Superman interacting with his surroundings. I’m starting to get sold on this book, even though I prefer to have my heroes all inhabit the same universe. Superman refers to Batman as his pal and gives props to Robin here but, in All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder, Robin doesn’t exist yet and Superman looks like he’s ready to track Batman down and slap him around.

This story’s pretty off-beat, benign, and fun to read. Lois still looks like she just came in from some third world country and hasn’t eaten a full meal in her entire life. I’ve never liked the way Quitely’s drawn women and Lois is no exception. Still, I enjoyed this issue and am feeling better about the book. At least I’m interested enough in its direction to keep buying it for a while.

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

This month was pretty good quality wise, but kind of sad because two of my favorite series, both of which had new issues out today, are on their last few issues (Warren Ellis’s Planetary and Andy Diggle’s The Losers), if you haven’t been reading those books check out the tpb’s. Also this week we have Infinite Crisis (yay I think), a new writer on Hellblazer, the always entertaining Batgirl and Birds of Prey and two parts to the “Spider-Man: the Other” story, written by Peter David and Reggie Hudlin. My picks of the week are The Losers and Planetary (damn, it was a good run) and that being said, on to the reviews…

The Losers #31 (#32 will be the final issue)
DC/Vertigo
Written by: Andy Diggle
Drawn by: Jock

For those of you who have been reading my reviews for while now, you know The Losers is one of my favorite books. Damn if in my opinion this isn’t the most unsung book out there right now. I mean damn, certain zombie books even get more love than The Losers, but I will never give up on them. This issue is the penultimate chapter to Clay, Cougar, Jensen, Pooch and Aishea’s story (issue #32 is the final issue) so, to catch everyone up: the Losers were a US Special Forces team that was operating out of Afghanistan in 1998. The team’s members include the Colonel (Clay), Jensen (computers), Roque (who is pretty much just a big a$#hole), Pooch (pilot/driver) and Cougar (sniper). There is also the Afghan woman Aisha, former member of the Afghani resistance to the Russian invasion and a CIA informant who now is more or less a member of the team, (they all share the same purpose, more or less) but her joining up takes place after the incident which “killed” the team and gave them their current self-directed mission, to bring down the mysterious man named Max and to declare war on the CIA.

In response to the US Embassy bombings in Tanzia, the President ordered a retaliatory strike against suspected terrorist Ahmed Khalfan Fadhil. The Losers were to go in and laser designate the target so the big boys could drop a 1,000 lb smart bomb on Fadhil’s head and be done with him. Given the close-lipped nature of this mission, the team was to be given orders and Fadhil’s location by a CIA handler who went by the codename “Max”. Anyway, the Losers make it to the target, designate it and order the airstrike when the unthinkable happens. They see a shipment of children being delivered to the terrorist camp, most likely to be auctioned off as slaves. The team tries to call off the airstrike, but “Max” jams their radios, and says some choice words to Col. Jensen. Max knew all along the children were going to be sent there, but he wanted the airstrike to happen anyway, and he thought “the Losers” were the kind of men (given past missions) who would follow orders without questions. It just so happens the team is sick of the absence of conscious that usually comes with blind allegiance, and they say fu$# it. They go in to save the kids. During the course of doing this though, Cougar stumbles on to something he shouldn’t have. A man buried deep within the compound, someone who has been hideously tortured who concludes he was never to be found, and Cougar finding him is was a big accident. The man tells Cougar a terrible tale, one that will change the entire team forever. He tells him the Soviets were tricked into invading Afghanistan by the US, and that the CIA (specifically this man and Max) ran Heroin into Europe and the states the fund the Afghan resistance. After the war Max kept the supply lines open to fund his own project, he wanted to remake the world in a new image, the image of a new American Century. Of course congress didn’t back this insanity and when Fadhil found out what the heroin was really funding he pulled the plug on Max and started to sell to the Russian Mob. Fadhil also put the word out he was going to sell Max’s and his partners dirty little secret to the open market, and well, that couldn’t happen. So to make a long story short, Max set up the Losers to take out Fadhil and his former partner to keep his secret safe and so he could keep on selling heroin to fund his private war and world changing aspirations. Anyway, the team escapes but Fadhil and Max’s former partner are still taken out in an airstrike. Cougar shares what he learns with the rest of his teammates and they decide to set things straight by declaring war against Max and taking him out themselves. Since the rest of the world thinks they died in the Fadhil mission, they have nothing to loose and everything to gain, and so it begins.

The final story arc of the book is entitled “Endgame”. It goes a little something like this: Max has exposed his plan to the rest of the world, he has stolen some nuclear weapons and set one off in the Gulf, causing an earthquake creating a new island, which Max declares to be the nation of “New Jerusalem”, a budding nuclear power. To show that Max indeed has nuclear capability he sets off another nuke in an unpopulated city in the Ukraine. What does he want? For the US to usurp all power in the Middle East and force them into democracy the hard way, pretty much starting a third world war (preemptively). Yeah, things are pretty well fu$#ed. The rest of the team (minus Pooch who decided to sit this one out) cooks up a suicide mission to go after Max in his new self-proclaimed nation of “New Jerusalem”, done with the aid of the Quatrain government, who clearly have their own agenda for taking Max out. The US gov’t is held at bay by Max’s arsenal of nuclear weapons, with warheads strategically place in major American cities waiting to be detonated if things don’t go Max’s way. So the team infiltrates Max’s oil rig, kills a bunch of people, Jensen has some great quips, one of our heroes dies, Max isn’t what he seems, one of the team members betrays the rest of them, and here we are left with one issue to wrap up this great series.

Seeing that there are four tpbs collecting the series thus far (all are in print), it is safe to assume the entire series will be collected in tpb form, which ultimately may be the best way to read it. From the beginning Diggle designed this series with a definitive beginning, middle and end and damn if it hasn’t been more than I ever could have expected. The Losers has been optioned for film treatment, which is no surprise to me since every arc thus far has played out like a well-written action movie with plenty of violence, mayhem and strong dialogue to fuel it. So check this book out. Pick up the current issues, pick up the tpb’s, whatever you decide, I can’t recommend this series enough, and even though I’m sad that it’s over, I’m sure I’ll reread it again in a few years and it will be just as fresh and exciting.

Punisher vs. Bullseye #3 (of 5)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Daniel Way
Drawn by: Steve Dillon

What do the Punisher, Bullseye, and a cross-dressing mobster have in common? More than you would think if you picked up the first issue of Punisher vs. Bullseye #1. Our story starts in 1981 with a mobster named Fonzie Patrillo. An up and coming Mafioso, he was out and about disco dancing with some “associates” when the Punisher came and killed all of them. Fonzie fled the scene, (donning a dress to aid his escape) and now here he is, 2005, still wearing a dress hiding from the Punisher. Besides wearing a dress, Fonzie has other problems including the Rossi Family mob; a rival organization the Patrillo mob has been steadily loosing ground to over the years. Fonzie’s solution: put a hit out on the Punisher. Why? Fonzie figures once the word is out they got a hit out on good ol’ Frank the other mobs will back off and see how it plays out, buying the Patrillo mob some time to deal with the Rossi family. Also, if the Punisher gets whacked, well, happy days for all mobsters. Worse case, Punisher kills everyone (which he was probably going to get around to doing anyway). Yeah, flawed logic, but nonetheless it’s a plan, and I bet you guys will never guess who picks up that hit…

In issue two Bullseye takes over the Patrillo mob to insure he gets paid, and he also finds one of the Punishers many safehouses, and hopes to blow it up (with the Punisher inside) and collect his bounty. Of course things don’t go as planned, and the Punisher gets really ticked off which brings us to issue three, the Punishers payback (and it is a *****). Bullseye and Nico Patrillo await the Punisher in a diner, and once spotted Bullseye starts whacking civilians to draw him out. Since Patrillo soldiers surround Bullseye, there is plenty to distract Frank while Bullseye formulates a plan. Yes, more people get killed, Bullseye hijacks a bus and the ending, well, lets just say someone who really, really doesn’t want to catch him catches Frank.

I swear the whole time I was reading this book I felt that Daniel Way was channeling Garth Ennis. The violence, the brutal, brutal violence (sigh, I love it), the sharp dialogue, it is classic Ennis for sure, but all Ennis elements aside Daniel Way is coming into his own with this series. Yeah, there are definite similarities with this book and Ennis’s take on the Punisher, but Way is still his own person and it’s not like your reading a cheap Ennis facsimile or anything like that. In all the books that came out this week, Punisher vs. Bullseye is a definite change of pace: violent, twisted, funny, and of course featuring one of comics most underrated artists of all time, Steve Dillon (which is probably another reason this book has me thinking so much about Garth Ennis). So if you’re a Bullseye or Punisher fan, you need to pick up this book. Fans of either character will enjoy it.

John Constantine: Hellblazer #216
DC/Vertigo Comics
Written by: Denise Mina
Drawn by: Leonardo Manco

John Constantine has been a member of the DC Universe for a long time, first showing up in Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing and later getting his own series in the Vertigo line (in fact, the current series was the first Vertigo title, it was around even before DC had the “Vertigo” imprint”). Anyway, John Constantine is a mage, but once upon a time his actions resulted in the loss of an innocent girl’s soul, and since then he has stopped using his powers for selfish ends and started to use them to fight evil (well, keep evil in check anyway). I read “Hellblazer” way back in the day when Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon were on the book (this is a little bit before Preacher), and stopped reading after Brian Azzarello took over (bah). Warren Ellis was planned for a story arc entitled “Shoot”, but it was to come out during the rash of school shootings that plagued the United States in the late ‘90’s, and DC/Vertigo lost their balls and pulled the plug on the story, Ellis quit rather than be censored and in my opinion “Hellblazer” suffered as a comic, and hasn’t really been worth reading since, well, until now.

I decided to pick up “Hellblazer” again when I heard Scottish mystery writer Denise Mina was taking over. Yes, I was glad to see someone from the UK back on “Hellblazer”, and recently there has been much success with authors coming over to the comic world (Brian Metzger, Richard K. Morgan, Orson Scott Card), so I figure this had to be a step in the right direction. Denise Mina’s first story arc is entitled “Empathy is the Enemy”, and thus far it’s off to a fantastic start, bringing me back to the old days of John Constantine (pre-Keanu). Like so many “Hellblazer” stories, our tale starts in a pub; Constantine meets a young man named Chris Cole who ****ed around with some magic he shouldn’t have. He learned a spell he thought would allow him to control people’s actions; the thing he didn’t know is came with a price. He used it with the best intentions in mind, but only ended up causing others pain, a great deal of pain, so much Chris figures the only way to end it is to take his own life, or seek out Constantine and see if he can give him a hand.

Dark, gritty, sharp dialogue and an engaging story. Denise Mina is a damn good writer and she really has a grasp on the Constantine character. He isn’t a reluctant hero, he’s just reluctant (more or less), when magic goes wrong Constantine is there to keep it in check (again, sort of) and damn if there is nothing really heroic about it. If you haven’t read “Hellblazer” in awhile like I have, now would be the perfect time to get back on it. If you have never read “Hellblazer”, his past history really isn’t so important, you could pick up this issue and be fine. So check it out, I hope Denise Mina stays on this book for awhile.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trade Reviews!

Comic books, first and foremost, are entertainment. Escapist fare. But have you ever had the experience of being knocked back in your seat reading a comic book? We’re not talking about a really good, even a classic, story. Or even one that teaches a lesson or from which maybe you learned something. We’re talking about a “Whoa! Wait a minute. I can’t believe that just happened!” kind of truly shocking story. That’s our trade theme for this week.

Wktf's Review

SPIDER-MAN: Kraven’s Last Hunt (Fearful Symmetry)
Marvel Comics
Written by: J.M. DeMatteis
Art by: Mike Zeck and Bob McLeod

This trade reprints the six part story from 1989, when Spidey wore his black (but non-symbiot) costume, that ran across all three Spider-Man titles at the time: Amazing, Spectacular and Web. I bought these as they came out in comics form, an adult roughly seven years out of college, and simply couldn’t believe what I was reading. Stan Lee summarizes this best in his surprisingly sober introduction to this trade: “I’ve been with Spidey for many years. Didn’t think there was much that could excite me or surprise me in the way of new and different stories. But every so often I see a special issue, fantastically written, magnificently illustrated, and dazzlingly conceived. This is one of those times.”

Kraven the Hunter had been defeated by Spider-Man over and over again since his first appearance in Amazing Spider-Man #15. He’d become somewhat of a joke and Kraven, a man of fierce pride, internalized his failures to such a degree that it twisted his brain into a knot. Indeed, The Hunter had become certifiably insane. And his warped, twisted mind devised the only route to recapturing his honor: kill Spider-Man and replace him, effectively take over the role of his enemy to prove his superiority to him. But lots of villains have plotted to kill their heroic enemies. That by itself is nothing new or different. What was truly shocking in this tale? First of all, Kraven really did change. As Spider-Man realized when he said to himself, “Look at his eyes. There’s…something in his eyes! This isn’t the Kraven I know. He’s out of his…” With quiet, calm, insanity, Kraven tracks Spider-Man, drugs him with a poison dart, pins him in his net, shoots him point blank with a hunting rifle, and then buries him underground. Wait. Shoots him and…buries him? Kraven’s face, the look in his eyes, his direct efficient method…this wasn’t really happening, was it? Then Spider-Man simply disappears from sight (he’s been buried…right?) for two full issues.

DeMatteis’ story is told from both Kraven’s and Spider-Man’s point of view. Perhaps why it’s called “Fearful Symmetry”…that and, of course, the continuous reference to William Blake’s famous late eighteenth century poem, “The Tyger.” We are taken completely into Kraven’s drug-induced psychotically disturbed mental world. We experience his paranoia, his delusions and the downward spiral of his madness. We also are intimately brought into the worlds of Peter and MJ, only recently back from their honeymoon, and the mental anguish Kraven inflicts on them both as Spider-Man goes missing, buried alive, for two full weeks. As this story progresses we discover Spider-Man’s indomitable will to live forces him up from death through the grave toward life, while Kraven’s madness forces him inexorably toward an absolutely brutal suicide, a coward’s deranged ending to a useless life. Fearful Symmetry, indeed. And, again, a truly shocking moment in comics. Make no mistake, this is not the wise cracking fun-filled Spider-Man story so common in the character’s history. But it is fitting for a character whose origin and career is filled with trauma.

Everything Stan said in his intro is true. This is a fantastic story that has become a true classic. DeMatteis’ scripting is brilliant. But the biggest props go to Mike Zeck, an artist who’s work on Captain America and Punisher I never really liked. His art always seemed too cartoony, two dimensional and stiff. Here, though, it is absolutely riveting. The mood and tone he sets throughout this story is dark, foreboding, mystical, exhilarating. I don’t know what it is. McLeod’s inks contribute to and enhance his art, certainly, but maybe this was the perfect story for Zeck to tell. “Kraven’s Last Hunt” is long out of print but I know for certain you can pick it up second hand through Amazon or eBay. Everyone should at least read it if not own it. There are few stories like it that I know of in all of comics.

Sam Wilson’s Review

Preacher: Salvation vol. #7 (of 9)
DC Comics/Vertigo
Written By: Garth Ennis
Drawn By: Steve Dillon
Not For: The week of stomach, or Goths.

“Preacher” was my first real exposure to “alternative” comics as a teenager. It was my sophomore year in college, and I was still an impressionable 19-year-old know-it-all. Yeah, I was young and stupid and was realizing learning was “cool”, and I was a college student and I had to start hanging out at coffee shops and reading dissident poetry, protesting the “man”. Well, okay, I was a rich man’s son so that felt pretty hypocritical. Instead I just decided to check out other comics besides my weekly fill of capes. I remember seeing the original adds for “Preacher” at my LCS, Jesse Custer’s head surrounded by fire looking over a church, eyes lit up manically. I figured this book might be worth checking out. Let me tell you, those first few story arcs of “Preacher” really blew me away. The characters, their interactions, and the violence, oh yes, the violence. It was like watching a movie made by John Woo and Sam Peckinpah after they did an eight ball and slammed 4 redbulls, and then said fu$# off to the MPAA and went butt crazy with themselves. Yes, “Preacher” is violent. Yes, it was disturbing, but it all had a point. It was part of a larger story; yeah, yeah, they didn’t have to go so over the top, but if you feel that way you’re missing the point. “Preacher” was about breaking conventions. You had a main character that was honorable, fair, and righteous surrounded by extreme violence, debauchery, and the occasional iron cast sex toy. Ennis was writing about the American dream, but going through the American nightmare to get there.

“Salvation” is takes place during the tail end of the Preacher epic, but for the most part can serve as a “story within a story”; sure it ties up several loose ends from the main story, but sits well on its own. Jesse has been separated from his girl Tulip (well, at first he thought she was dead, and then he finds out it is much, much worse) and his best friend Cassiday. He survived a nuclear explosion (seriously) and has picked up a new companion (a dog he names Skeeter). To sort things out he finds himself in a town named “Salvation” Texas. One thing leads to another, and Jesse finds himself taking over as Sheriff. Then there is Odin Quincannon, he owns a meat factory and pretty much owns the town. His workers have been allowed to come into town and blow off steam, causing as much trouble as they want to without consequence. That is, until Jesse Custer becomes Sheriff. If you’ve read any other of the “Preacher” tpb’s, you know Jesse Custer is not one to take **** off of anyone. To make a long story short, Jesse isn’t exactly what you would call “by the book”, and soon him and Odin Quincannon are at war. There is also Jesse’s deputy, Cindy Daggett, a black woman in hickville who really, really likes guns, and Lorie, a girl Jesse knew from his childhood, his best friend’s sister/wife (hey, our theme this week is “shocking”, and trust me, as far as this tpb goes I haven’t even begun to get into anything shocking). Other interesting characters include Miss Outlash, Quincannon’s Nazi-dominatrix lawyer, The KKK (my favorite part of this tpb), John, Wayne, and Jodie, who isn’t who she seems to be. Other than the Nazi’s, the KKK, and the gratuitous violence, what is it about this tpb that is consider shocking? Well, I can’t tell you, you’re gonna have to read it to find out, but to give you a hint, “NIBBLE THE VIENS! WORK THE SHAFT! SAY THE NAME! SAY THE NAME!” (when you read it, you will understand, and probably throw up).

So pick up this tpb, or hell pick up all nine of them. They are now being reprinted by DC/Vertigo and should be readily available. The “Salvation” tpb reprints Preacher issues #41-50, which covers the “Salvation” story arc and a bonus story about Jesse’s dad in Vietnam. So what are you waiting for? Believe the hype, check this series out.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Heh...once again b_c and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum, this time on All Star Superman.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
bat_collector
Galactus

Ahh, I liked All star superman 1 (kinda) and you didn't. I didn't like All star superman 2 and you like it. We just can agree on this. However, I agree with you, do all star superman adn batman even co-exist in the same universe?

Maybve its earth 2 all star batman that Supe is talking about.

Sam, you wouldn't be referring to the Walking Dead as that zombie book, now would you?
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
Primal
Batman

Infinite Crisis kicked @$$ once again! If there were a comic book hall of fame, Geoff Johns would be a shoe-in! I agree that Superboy going ballistic is so uncharacteristic of anyone wearing the Superman outfit, but it could be that his proximity to Earth-1's Superboy made him react like that...or just the simple fact that his counterpart is not as "ideal" as he perhaps was on his Earth and needed to be taught a tough lesson...or maybe he's being manipulated by Psycho-Pirate. Who knows.

Sorry, but I have to say that Jim Lee's covers are kicking me in the @$$ every month!
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Sam - Thanks for highlighting Hellblazer. I had not heard the story about Ellis. Interesting stuff, although I can understand DC's view. Buffy the Vampire Slayer had an episode in Season Three already shot that they delayed broadcasting because of Columbine. Was the Ellis Hellbalzer arc written and drawn? If so, maybe it can be published as a Special someday.

I had dropped Hellblazer for a long time, and came back to the book when I heard Richard Corben was going to be illustrating an arc. This is one of the best reads on the market. I usually put this on top or towards the top of my stack when it comes out. The arc that just finished had a great ending where Constantine won, but payed an incredibly high price to the extent that he may have actually lost. I am looking forward to seeing how the new writer portrays him recovering from this.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Great again guys! This All * Superman #2 was much better than the first issue. I really miss Preacher, I was hoping they'd re-visit the characters again sometime. IC is epic, I hope they can keep it up, or heads will roll or bounce.......again.
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz
Sam - Thanks for highlighting Hellblazer. I had not heard the story about Ellis. Interesting stuff, although I can understand DC's view. Buffy the Vampire Slayer had an episode in Season Three already shot that they delayed broadcasting because of Columbine. Was the Ellis Hellbalzer arc written and drawn? If so, maybe it can be published as a Special someday.

madd, Warren Ellis only proposed the story, DC canned it before it ever got off the ground.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #9
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgghh!!
Great again guys! This All * Superman #2 was much better than the first issue. I really miss Preacher, I was hoping they'd re-visit the characters again sometime. IC is epic, I hope they can keep it up, or heads will roll or bounce.......again.

aargh,

Ennis said he was done with the preacher characters, he said if anything he might do another story with the "sex detectives" characters, but nothing withthe main characters. Ennis and Dillon do have another vertigo series in the works though...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Great reviews as always guys. Sam thanks for having a look at the Punisher v Bullseye run. B_C is picking these up for me so i can't wait to read them myself. I'm amazed Bullseye isn't used more often in comics, he's a great villain.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote