Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 02-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Ha! Most to the point, though, you should really enjoy those Elseworld stories!

And, b_c, I noticed we came out slightly on different sides of Captain America, even though you liked it for the most part.
I really liked it, but I was hoping for something a bit more daring than the so-so resolution the battle had. That's the ending I expected (not the last panel, that was nice), and I was disappointed as I was hoping to be surprised by the ending between those two.

Oh well, still a good read.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #12
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I actually was not expecting the ending with the Red Skull, nor Cap's using the cube to restore Bucky's memory. I thought Bucky would be a rogue soldier out there loose at the end. Though he's lose, he's not rogue and he and Cap had no true reconciliation. Those were nice surprises for me.

Here's an interesting interview with Ed Brubaker on the resolution of this important Cap story, with some insight into the Red Skull situation. Spoiler warning, though, for those who haven't yet read this issue:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/show...threadid=58008
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #13
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Quote:
Hmmm...so no Republicans out there have jumped on me for my comments in the Green Lantern review, or Sam in his Red Son review. Maybe there aren't any Republican StatueForum comics readers...?

No offense meant, by the way. Politics, like religion, brings out the worst in people.
The Republicans are a political party and Bush is an individual who happens to be a member of that party. Based on this info listed here, the Green Lantern premise sounds like a stretch, and there isn't enough data provided for me to buy in on Red Son unless you are saying that Lex Luthor is showing some Republican characteristics.

Either way, you have been emotionally detached in your comments so how could anyone take offense to that.

I am intrigued by "Y". It has been on my radar for a while. I may have to pick up a trade or two.

I also can't wait to read the end of the Supreme Power: Nighthawk series.

Thanks for yet another set of cool reviews.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #14
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

mark, you don't read Y? Bro, I figure that book would be right up your alley.

And word, both joe and I are pretty strict about staying away from politics. It's all about the comics yo. and pie. And booty. And more pie...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson

And word, both joe and I are pretty strict about staying away from politics. It's all about the comics yo. and pie. And booty. And more pie...
It's the truth, for sure. Pure coincidence, though, that it filtered into B.O.T.H. of our reviews this week, eh, my man?
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #16
Uselessfew
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I loved Red Son, and I'm not a Supes fan at all. If you love a good elseworlds, what-if-type yarn, scoop it up. Beautiful artwork by Dave Johnson, my reason for grabbing it.
Uselessfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #17
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
It's the truth, for sure. Pure coincidence, though, that it filtered into B.O.T.H. of our reviews this week, eh, my man?

word yo. Word.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #18
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson

It came out at a time when I was really trying to not pick up any new titles. From everything I have heard and read, I am sure this title is in my future.

For any Marvelophile out there - Vertigo titles are worth checking out. THere is some good stuff there. I also like the fact that if they think they have a good book, they keep doing it and let it find its audience. If Vertigo was publishing Alias they would have kept on doing it and not watered it down by calling it Pulse.

This is the spot Marvel misses the boat on. Mature themes does not necessarily mean excessive violence and gratuitous sex. It can include bits of those things but it is much more than that. When Marvel tries to match with Vertigo they call their imprint MAX. That just underlines how much they don't get it.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #19
furie
The X-Men

Love the reviews, guys! Thanks a lot -- now I can go shopping.

Wk - I know Sam collects older books, but do you buy silver-age stuff? Curious.

Furie
furie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #20
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by furie
Love the reviews, guys! Thanks a lot -- now I can go shopping.

Wk - I know Sam collects older books, but do you buy silver-age stuff? Curious.

Furie

furie,

I know wk has been buying since the late '60's, he pretty much has all the key silver age books buying them as they came out. (sigh) If only I had a time machine...