Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 02-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wktf's and Sam Wilson's Reviews 2/8/06

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

A small week at the LCS, but lots of great books. Young Avengers, DMZ and Black Widow are all excellent reads, and of course there are the few obligatory “Infinite Crisis” tie ins (I didn’t get all of them, but I did get Teen Titans and Robin). My pick of the week is Ultimate Extinction, if you haven’t read any of Warren Ellis’s “Ultimate Trilogy”, well, you need to. Word.

Ultimate Extinction issue #2 (of 6)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Warren Ellis
Drawn by: Brandon Peterson

Ultimate Extinction is the third part in Warren Ellis’s “Ultimate Trilogy”, which is all about the coming of Gha Lak Tus (that’s Galactus for you regular Marvel U folks). The first part, Ultimate Nightmare, was about the X-men and the Ultimates tracking down an alien distress signal from the dead of Siberia, they soon found out this beacon came from the “Ultimate Vision”, whose alien android body was being used by the Russians for all kinds of cold world nastiness. Sam Wilson (the “Ultimate Falcon”), who was on the recovery team is also a scientist, and Nick Fury charges him with figuring out what exactly this “Vision” was sent to Earth for. The second part, “Ultimate Secret”, I actually will review later in the tpb, so I guess you can just read that for a recap/review of that storyline. Then as a back up story in recent “Ultimate Marvel” books, the story of the Vision is told (who turns out to be a she). The Vision is on Earth to warn it’s populace of Gha Lak Tus, the world destroyer, she was created by one of the worlds he destroyed and then sent out into space to warn other worlds of his coming. Apparently there is nothing you can do to stop the coming of Gha Lak Tus, and she suggests to Sam Wilson the populace of Earth get out while the gettings good, which brings us to the last part of the trilogy, Ultimate Extinction.

Last issue had Sam Wilson, Captain Marh-vell and Reed Richards briefing Nick Fury on how exactly Gha Lak Tus is going to destroy the Earth. It wasn’t pretty. Meanwhile, Misty Knight was just hired to find a rich dude’s wife who was apparently skirted away by a charismatic leader of a money-hungry cult. Misty tracks down said wife, but finds a weird silvery naked dude has taken her (hmmm…). Then there is a gun battle and a bald chick. Which leads us to issue two, Fury and Richards are butting heads, Cap is coming to grips with his mortality and Misty Knight and Captain Jean DeWolff (fresh from the pages of Ultimate Spider-Man) are hot on the trail of the bald chick (who we find out is named Heather Douglas, aka Heather Moon. Hmm…). Misty Knight gets a visit from the silvery dude, and the sh$# hits the fan, Captain America is alerted by the battle and speeds off to fight something he can finally get his hands on, and Sam Wilson (aka the Ultimate Falcon) ditches the lab coat to join him (WORD, WORD, WORD, WORD). Aw yeah, expect a good old-fashioned Marvel comics downeybrook next issue…

The “Ultimate Trilogy” kicks a$# in my humble opinion. It is the first big crossover of the Ultimate Universe; we got the Fantastic Four, the Ultimates, and the X-men. Captain Mahr-vell, Carol Danvers, Misty Knight, yeah, things are cooking in the Ultimate Marvel U. Cap and Falc are teaming up (did I say WORD?). Yes, there are plenty of Ultimate haters out there, fine, hate away, but this is seriously some of the best stuff to come from the house of ideas in a long, long time, and if you don’t want to pick it up, well, that’s your prerogative, but I for one will be buying every issue, and the trades, and will enjoy every minute of it.

The Incredible Hulk issue #92
Marvel Comics
Written by: Daniel Way
Drawn by: Carlo Pagulayan

If you were to ask me what The Incredible Hulk has been about in the last few years, “fu$# if I know” would be my answer. Bruce Jones took over and started some weird conspiracy crap and brought in a reanimated Betsy Ross, Dr. Sampson, Nadia Blonsky, some mechanical rats and a bunch of other strange sh$# that didn’t make any damn sense. The Hulk, well, I was never sure if he was savage, intelligent, cunning, above average, whatever. Then Peter David came back for a second, but with him came the “House of M”, and well, I’m not even going to get into that. What’s wrong with consistency? Linear storytelling? A Hulk we can understand? Can someone just make a decision as to which Hulk Bruce Banner is, how he transforms, and what the deal is? Anything well done will do? Man I yearn for the old Peter David days with the Pantheon and Margo and Rick, is that asking for too much? Some solid storytelling and a Hulk we can understand? Please? Well, with Daniel Way and Carlo Pagulayan on the case, we just may have that.

Daniel Ways first Hulk storyline had him stuck in outer space; recruited by Nick Fury to stop a rogue AI controlled satellite that could potentially destroy the Earth. What Nick Fury didn’t tell the Hulk was the satellite was made by SHIELD and had gotten away from their control. Anyway, the Hulk did what he does best, “smash”, and Nick Fury’s problem goes bye-bye. Then things take an interesting turn. At the end of last issue Fury seizes the opportunity and decides to dump the Hulk out in space. At the start of issue #92, Nick Fury and the rest of the “Illuminati” (Reed Richards, Dr. Strange, Tony Stark, Black Bolt, Professor X, see past issues of the “New Avengers” for more info on them) inform Dr. Banner the world is safer with him off the planet, so they have decided to exile him to another world void of and sentient beings but lush with vegetation and a breathable atmosphere. Needless to say, the Hulk is gets kinda PO’d and starts to smash, sending the ship off course. He ends up crashing on an inhabited planet, and is captured by its residents and is quickly made a slave. Then the Hulk is forced to fight as a gladiator, and well, that’s all I’m going to say. Marvel has been hyping this “Planet Hulk” storyline for quite some time, and judging on how it starts, it’s going to be pretty bad a$#ed. I can already see a little bit of the “Maestro” coming out in Daniel Way’s incarnation of the Hulk (for more on the “Maestro”, see Peter David and George Perez’s Hulk: Future Imperfect, cause if you haven’t read that then, well, you are seriously missing out).

So the Hulk is back, he is bad a$#ed and smashing up some sh$#. There is really not much else I can (at least not as eloquently). So pick up the book. Get the trade of Way’s first storyline (I’m sure it will be out shortly). The Hulk, at least in my opinion, is back to being a “must read” title again.

Young Avengers #10
Marvel Comics
Written by: Allan Heinberg
Drawn by: Adrea Divito

The Young Avengers rose out of the ashes of “Avengers Disassembled” and consist of the Vision, Patriot, Wiccan, Hulkling, Stature and Kate Bishop. Some of them have ties to the original Avengers, Stature is also known as Cassie Lang daughter of the second Ant Man, who is now deceased, and Patriot is also know as Eli Washington, grandson to Isaiah Washington, the original World War 2 super soldier. Wiccan is a magic practitioner, Hulkling is a shape-shifter and Kate Bishop seems to be skilled with a bow and arrow. The new Vision was Iron Lad, who turned out to be a young can, but that’s really here nor there and I’m not gong to get into it. Thus far the team has been forced to disband by Captain America, Tony Stark and Jessica Jones, but then they sort of came back together after all their parents were talked to (but they are not quite yet a team). Eli was found to be taking the mutant growth hormone (MGH), Iron Lad has become the new Vision and they mixed it up with Mr. Hyde and won (yay!). Then we find out Hulkling really is a Skrull, a really, really important Skrull and things start to get ugly.

Last issue left us with the Super-Skrull killing Hulkling's mom and demanding he (Hulkling) accompany him back to the Skrull homeworld to take his rightful place. Eager to help their friend out the Young Avengers go to Avenger’s Tower to see if they can get some help, but all the Avengers are out, minus the new Vision who is kinda under house arrest until it can be determined he is trustworthy. Of course rather than wait for the Avengers to show up the Young Avengers take the new Vision and decide to save Hulkling on their own, breaking into a maximum security prison on the way to recruit some super powered help (!). Yeah, they take two steps forward, but then two steps back, what can I say? It must be hormonal, I mean, they are the “Young” Avengers…

So this book is a lot better than I initially thought it was. There is some great characterization (Cassie, Eli, even Wiccan and Hulkling, even though Kate Bishop’s story is really lame and contrived) and the art is sharp, real sharp. The first six issues of this series are available in HC form, you can check that out or you can pick up the last couple of issues and jump into this current storyline, either way you are in for a surprisingly good comic.

Wktf’s Reviews

This was a really good comics week. A lot of action on the shelves. My haul included Superman #226 (which I haven’t read yet but looks like you need to have read the next issue of Infinite Crisis to understand what’s going on), Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #200 (gotta love an oversized Joker story), Supergirl #4 (about time, too), Son of M #3, plus these three books:

Ares #2 (of 5)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mike Oeming
Drawn by: Travel Foreman

You would think the last person you’d want to have angry at you is the god of war. But that’s exactly what Zeus has done by kidnapping Ares’ only son to draw his own wayward son back to Olympus. Who the hell does Zeus think he is? No matter how many times Ares has pulled Olympus’ fat out of the fire, the Olympians have spurned and vilified Ares and his brutally heinous ways, rejecting him to the point that he just last issue turned his back on Olympus and the mantle of God of War, the very nature that plagued his existence, to live his life out in mortal guise. Ares, the same Ares who partnered with the Enchantress in Avengers #100 and brought war not only to Olympus but to Asgard as well, became a peace-minding single dad (we don’t know who Alexander’s mother is) and suburban construction worker.

But Olympus is under attack by a tribe of eastern undead gods and, for the first time in Zeus’ memory, is suffering defeat. One of mythology’s greatest warriors, Achilles, cannot stand against these gods. And, so, Zeus authorizes the kidnapping of Alexander and brings Ares to Olympus but now in search of his father’s blood. And his rage is fueled further when he learns Alex has been taken from Olympus by these eastern invaders who, knowing full well Alexander’s origins, have plans for the boy that may well put him on the path to destroying Ares, even as Zeus slew his own father Kronos.

I’m loving this series. Oeming let me down three times with Thor: Ragnarok, Stormbreaker, and Thor: Blood Oath. I’m surprised I even came back for this book, but he’s finally delivering the goods. Ares’ disgust with his family, and with Zeus and Hercules in particular both of whom he levels in this issue, is overshadowed only by the shock of Zeus’ groveling guilt as he begs on his knees for Ares’ forgiveness and strikes out at Hercules, his favorite son, for moving against Ares. And our protagonist has gone from the two dimensional joke of a villain from Thor and Avengers stories to a richly sympathetic and powerful character with no clear allegiance except to the one who may prove his undoing, his own son. Foreman’s art gives this series a powerful unworldly feel appropriate for a greek god story while grounding it at the same time with raw, visceral emotions. Yep, I’m hooked. You should be reading this book, guys.

Black Widow: The Things They Say About Her #5 (of 6)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Richard K. Morgan
Drawn by: Sean Phillips & Bill Sienkiewicz

To start, if you haven’t read the Black Widow mini series that preceded this one, titled Homecoming, you should pick it up. It’s available as a trade and retails for $14.99. Like this one, it’s written by future noir novelist Richard K. Morgan who cut his comic book writing teeth on that series and also is illustrated by comics legend Bill Sienkiewicz. In Homecoming, Natasha Romanova tries to leave the spy game only to become the assassination target of another Cold War killer. She goes hunting for blood and learns that the USSR created her and 26 other chemically enhanced and psychochemically programmed Black Widow operatives, all of whom were implanted with false memories and conditioned for loyalty (think Manchurian Candidate and you’ll get the picture). A high profile murder, however, from that first series has made Natasha a fugitive and both Daredevil and Nick Fury have, in this second series, been trying to help her. But they’re always several steps behind our elusive Widow who, now, is held captive in Cuba where she went in a rage to rescue a young girl, Sally Anne Carter, who was abducted for drug testing linked to the Black Widow program.

Natasha managed to rescue Sally Anne but not before getting caught, herself. Up until now, Natasha has pretty much been having her way with everyone she’s come across. She’s been bludgeoning, crippling and killing people left and right. She’s righteously pissed off that Sally’s been captured and abused, and is willing to break every international law to free her regardless of what kinds of problems this may cause SHIELD. In this second-to-last chapter, however, Natasha is beaten, bruised and tied to a chair the entire issue. Her captors pummel her mercilessly and then administer hallucinogenic drugs to make her crack. These people are motivated by hatred and revenge. They just want the Widow to break. We see Natasha suffer some serious pounding but how can you not respect this woman because, despite the bondage, torture and horrifying hallucinations…well, this is the Black Widow, after all. Super spy, former Avenger and all around bad ass. She has never looked so good or been so scary, even when she’s in serious trouble. She is defiant against all odds. This series ends next issue and you better believe there’s going to be hell to pay in it for this issue, especially with the ace her captors pull out of their sleeves.

JSA #82
DC Comics
Written by: Paul Levitz
Drawn by: George Perez

DC’s president & publisher, Paul Levitz, picks up the reigns of this book and, with the help of master artist George Perez, provides us with a fantastic one-shot Infinite Crisis crossover story. Levitz first gained fame as the writer for Legion of Super Heroes and proves, with this issue, that executive life has not caused him to lose his comic book writing chops. But the real creative hero in this issue is George Perez who combines so many different styles, from Bob Kane to Joe Shuster to Max Fleischer to Wayne Boring to his own, to deliver an absolutely beautifully rendered book. If you weren’t following Infinite Crisis at all you still could enjoy this read and it, certainly, is my pick of the week.

This story takes place during “a moment amidst crisis” when Power Girl comes to JSA HQ with Earth 2’s Lois Lane’s note pad. So, clearly, this takes place before the most recent issue of Infinite Crisis. She brings Lois’ note pad to Ma, the house caretaker, for the JSA museum but Ma translates Lois’ shorthand for Karen. From her sick bed the elderly and dying Lois tells a story of Superman, now old and gray with a heft double chin, and how he teamed up first with The Batman and then Wonder Woman and Jay Garrick, no longer the Flash. We learn here that the JSA had disbanded rather than reveal their identities to Congress. There’s more on this plot line in Superman #226. But, in the mean time, a villain named the Gentleman Ghost is stealing JSA artifacts. The story of this crime and the heroes’ attempt to thwart the Ghost is entertaining enough but feels secondary to the overall aura Perez creates with his art through which we feel transported to an earlier time. The simplicity of the heroes’ relationships is both gratifying and thrilling and, knowing we’re in on the joke with Lois as Superman carries out his Clark Kent act, has a nice nostalgic ring to it.

Of course, we are brought from this bygone-days story to the present by the end, where Kara is wrestling with the question Earth 2’s Superman put to her. Of course, her inability to comply with E2 Superman’s request brought her into the predicament she faces with Alex Luthor in the current Infinite Crisis installment. Frankly, I don’t know how important this JSA story is to the overall Infinite Crisis saga but, to me, that’s a secondary point. By itself, of all the comics I’ve read since all the IC noise started, this is one of the ones I’ve enjoyed the most.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Sam, I'm going to buy Hulk on your say so. Do I really need to know the previous arc, or can I hop on-board without it? And wktf, if they have Ares #1 left, I'm going to check out this series too.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trade Reviews: Marvel Visionaries HCs!

Marvel started publishing their “Visionaries” titles several years ago in trade paperback form. Some of the better ones have been tributes to Jim Steranko, John Byrne, Walt Simonson, Gil Kane, Frank Miller and George Perez, among others. But only recently has Marvel begun going back to their most legendary creators in oversized hardcover “Visionaries” books. Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and John Romita, Sr. were among the first books. Then Marvel veered away from their most iconic creators, the ones who created the Marvel juggernaut, and put out books to Chris Claremont and John Romita, Jr. Big names and huge contributors to Marvel’s success, for sure, but what happened to the rest of the awesome 60s and 70s creators? With their most recent tribute to Roy Thomas they seem to be back on track. Next up is a second Jack Kirby book and, frankly, we’re hoping a John Buscema book is around the corner. Anyway, with these reviews we take a look at the two books in this series we’ve not yet reviewed.

Sam Wilson’s Review

Marvel Visionaries: Chris Claremont HC
Marvel Comics
Written by: Chris Claremont
Drawn by: Various Artists

Love him or hate him, overwrought hack or one-trick pony, whatever you say one thing is undeniable, Chris Claremont laid the foundation for some of the most famous and recognizable characters in the Marvel Universe. Of course he will always be remembered for his 15 years + on Uncanny X-men (I’m not counting his current “X-men” work. In my humble opinion his current X-men work is garbage, a cheap rehashing of the work that once made him great) where he gave life to characters such as Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Kitty Pryde, and breathed new life into old favorites such as Cyclops and Marvel Girl. He also gave us the “New Mutants” and created other such memorable characters such as Rogue, Gambit (meh) and Bishop. Before that “Origin” garbage Claremont gave us our first sneak peak into a once interesting man of mystery Wolverine, aka Logan (fu$# that James Howlett crap). Collected in Marvel Visionaries: Chris Claremont are several of the writer’s early stories from Marvel Preview and Iron Fist, even an early story from Daredevil (issue #103), but the bulk of this collection features his work on the “X-men” (and the various spin offs including The New Mutants and Excalibur).

Some of the notable “X-men” issues reprinted in this collection include Uncanny X-men #137, “The Fate of the Phoenix”. Remember when character deaths actually meant something? Remember the emotional turmoil each and ever X-man (and woman) had to go through to fight their friend and teammate, and they stuck with her until the last possible moment, and then finally realized it was to late? Man. That story was something, from the buildup with the Hellfire Club to the final showdown on the blue area of the Moon (remember Colossus duking it out with the Gladiator?). Then there is “Kitty’s Fairy Tale” from Uncanny X-men #153, a little bedtime story she shares with her rescued pet dragon Lockheed (yeah, yeah, it’s cutesy). You also get notable first appearances, including Rogue from Avengers annual 10 (Ms. Marvel and Jessica Drew show up!) and the X-babies (yeesh) from Uncanny X-men annual # 12 (but hey, at least there is neat-o Art Adams art it that issue). Of special note is my absolute favorite X-men story of all times (well, one of them at least), Uncanny X-men #268, “Mandipoor Nights”, which at the time featured a cover that literally blew me off my feet, Captain America, Wolverine and the Black Widow all drawn by Jim Lee. Damn, I mean DAMN, none of these characters have ever been shown together before, at the same time. I mean, what could this story possible be about? Mr. Claremont gave us a little taste of Wolvie’s past involving Cap, a baby Natasha Romanova and the mysterious country of Mandipoor. Of course all of that great storytelling is now ruined by this post “Origin” and “House of M” “Wolverine knows it all now” crap which really just sucks all the life and personality out of a once great and not so played out character, but that is really here nor there.

Marvel Visionaries: Chris Claremont is in print and available for $29.99 in hardcover form, and it would be an excellent addition to your tpb collection. If you don’t have any of these stories reprinted (it might be the first time “Uncanny X-men” #268 was ever reprinted) this volume would be an excellent choice. This is definitely the “Marvel Visionaries” collection for my generation, the 30 something’s who grew up in the ‘80’s and would argue over who the coolest X-man was, Wolverine, Colossus or Nightcrawler…

Wktf’s Review

Marvel Visionaries: Roy Thomas HC
Marvel Comics
Written by: Roy Thomas
Drawn by: Various Artists

Marvel issued this collection last week and priced it at $34.99 retail. It collects stories from Marvel’s first post-Stan editor-in-chief from 1965 to 1989, including Amazing Adventures #8 (Inhumans), Avengers #35 & 57-58, Captain Marvel #19, Chamber of Darkness #4, Dracula Lives! #1, Doctor Strange #9, Fantastic Four #119 & 176, Giant-Size Invaders #1, Incredible Hulk #147, Modeling with Millie #44, Not Brand Echh #12, Sub-Mariner #8 & 14, Tales of Suspense #73 (Iron Man), and X-Men #64. Unfortunately, Marvel lost the rights to Conan (picked up by Dark Horse), so no Conan stories in this book as a result. But there are the Dark Horse reprints of Marvel’s Conan works for those who want them.

What this books proves, for those who may not have known this already, is that “Rascally” Roy Thomas was nearly every bit as prolific a writer as Stan Lee, himself. Not captured in here are his Spider-Man, Thor and other books he wrote, as well. But you have to draw the line somewhere, I suppose, and this book succeeds in painting a picture of a creator of outstanding range, depth and creativity. Roy’s eye toward plot, story, action and raw emotional tension may exceed even Stan, himself. His other focus, made evident by the choice of this volume’s stories, is his love of comics history. In Sub-Mariner #8, one of my most favorite Silver Age books, the titanic cross-Manhattan brawl between Namor and The Thing (reminiscent of the Thor/Hercules tussle published in the most recent Thor Masterworks) is halted by a figure from Namor’s WWII past…made even more poignant in that this woman is Namor’s former love, a woman who has not been spared the ravages of age as Namor has. The second Sub-Mariner recalls Namor’s battles against the original WWII android Human Torch and guest stars, and tragically ends the life of, another hero from Namor’s WWII past. With Avengers #57-58 we are treated to the first appearance and origin of the Vision, but how many people recall the green skinned Vision from the 1940s Marvel Mystery Comics upon whom our current Vision is loosely based? Or even, at the time of this stories original publishing, remembered the tormented Wonder Man from dozens of issues ago on whose brain patterns the Vision’s brain was programmed? And, of course, writing Giant-Size Invaders #1, putting Timely Comics (Marvel’s original name) WWII “big three” heroes and side kicks together in all new WWII era stories, probably was a dream come true for Roy.

But this volume also shows his attention to non-comics history and to social issues of the time. The X-Men story gives us the premier appearance and origin of Sunfire wherein we learn Sunfire’s mother, pregnant with him at the time, perished in the Hiroshima nuclear holocaust that ended the US’s war with Japan and gave Sunfire his powers. The Dracula Lives! short story shows how the Lord of Vampire’s anger and thirst for vengeance actually led to the Salem Witch Trials. The Fantastic Four tale, co-starring the Black Panther, rails not only against racial prejudice (as does the Inhumans story, co-starring Thor, from Amazing Adventures) but against Apartheid, in particular. The Not Brand Echh story probably was a brave one at the time as it poked some seriously funny but barbed fun at the Comics Code Authority. And, in one of the most moving stories collected here, the Captain Marvel tale forces the reader to take a hard look at the Nazi Holocaust and show how, at least in a comic book story, great minds can become so warped as to repeat the crimes of the past. For emotional impact, I’ve already mentioned the Sub-Mariner #8 story which ends with tears over a love once shared but never fully realized. “Even An Android Can Cry” from The Avengers and, of course, the other stories mentioned above, bring the reader into the torment and trails our heroes endure. But, as impactful as these stories are, we don’t have to look any farther than Incredible Hulk #147 to find a wonderfully sad short story of the Jade Giant’s sense of rejection, loneliness and isolation as he wars with his own troubled psyche.

All analytic breakdowns aside, this book was just a real treat to read. Plenty of superhero team ups and battles, outstanding art (and with artists like John Buscema, Marie Severin, Gil Kane, George Perez and Gene Colan how the hell can you go wrong?) and, of course, some of Marvel’s greatest stories ever. The Fantastic Four #176 story, beautifully drawn by George Perez, with the Impossible Man’s rampage through the Marvel Comics offices is a real hoot, and the sword and sorcery yarn from Chamber of Darkness is a real brain twister. The only stories that feel like throw-away tales are from Modeling with Millie (Roy’s first Marvel writing assignment) and Avengers #35 (his first Avengers scripting job) which, I suppose, are in here for their historical significance to his Marvel career. But, to sum it up, if you want one of the best cross-hatchings of Marvel’s Silver and Bronze Age comics you really should just break down and buy this book.

Now, Marvel, when will you be coming out with a John Buscema HC “Visionaries” tribute?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
Sam, I'm going to buy Hulk on your say so. Do I really need to know the previous arc, or can I hop on-board without it? And wktf, if they have Ares #1 left, I'm going to check out this series too.
jdh, the previous arc isn't necessary for the Hulk. All you need to know about the previous arc is contained in my review. It was still a cool story, but not a necessary one.

Word. And yo, those banners you made us are DOPE. The Avatars too...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
Babytoxie
Ghost

I came reallllllly close to picking up the first "Planet Hulk" installment; however, the trades won me over again. But thanks guys!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
Azog
Sailor Moon

Sam, glad you are digging New Avengers, I still believe this series has been a much bigger hit then marvel ever imagined...
Azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
rychehitman
Galactus

AZOG! You are the Perna-Loki guy! Congrats!

NICE REVIEW on the HULK! I Agree...this story arc is looking to be a good one!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

So, Ryche, weren't you the one looking for the Roy Thomas Visionaries review? Did this help you?

jdh, gotta echo Sam's compliment, these sig banners are outstanding!! Thanks, my friend!!
Old 02-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #9
rychehitman
Galactus

reading that one now wktf!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Only picked up JSA of the reviewed titles, and agree with wktf. I read that and the Walking Dead Vol 2 trade last night, picking up Vol. 3 next week......damn you forum!!!
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote