Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 03-16-2006, 11:32 PM   #11
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321
That "weird foxy stealth chick" is Gypsy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy_(comics)

A VERY cool character who has always been tagged with really lousy second string characters ... I'm glad to see that Gail is going to use her in BOP. I think that Gail will really use the character and her powers to thier best advantage.

damn jesse. Most impressive...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:28 AM   #12
Teague
Iron Man

Great reviews again this week. I'd like to second wktf's book of the week pick. I'm really excited to actually enjoy a Superman comic book again. It's been too long.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #13
JR2
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
I don't think she was killed, it was left open ended. But wasn't her neck broke or something? I don't remember. I think Azog wrote that review, he'll remember for sure. Besides, with all this infinite crisis dead, not dead stuff who knows. Oy vey.
Yeah, I think you're right Sam. Also, wasn't Shiva left hanging over a Lazarus Pit?
JR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #14
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR2
Yeah, I think you're right Sam. Also, wasn't Shiva left hanging over a Lazarus Pit?

jr, you are correct sir, she was left hanging over a lazerous pit...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague
Great reviews again this week. I'd like to second wktf's book of the week pick. I'm really excited to actually enjoy a Superman comic book again. It's been too long.
Too long is right! After decades of reading Superman's comics I begrudgingly just plain gave up a few years ago. This issue really was like a breath of fresh air!

Up, Up and Away!!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:20 PM   #16
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Sorry Wktf, I have to disagree with you on Superman #650. I saw Busick's name on the cover and flipped, he's one of my favorites. But the comic was cleary setup as a jumping on point for the Superman movie (the focus on the Daily Planet, Lex returning to run Lexcorp, they even talk about a Superman movie). DC is going to release a film adaptation, why mess with the mainstream title with so much more going on in the DC universe right now. I felt I already read this story before way back during the Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite. I will not be picking up the rest of this run.
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #17
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Hmmm...I didn't see this as a tie to the Superman movie. Rather, there's extreme mystery about what's going on with Clark and what happened during the one year since Infinite Crisis. I can see where you're coming from but just disagree with your conclusion.

Still and all, I think it's excellently scripted and drawn!

Peace.

On a different topic, but one related to these reviews, anyone share the same opinion of Superman/Shazam: First Thunder that Jesse and I share? My thoughts are in this review thread. Jesse's are right here:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=25376
Old 03-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #18
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
On a different topic, but one related to these reviews, anyone share the same opinion of Superman/Shazam: First Thunder that Jesse and I share? My thoughts are in this review thread. Jesse's are right here:
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=25376
I'll pick it up tomorrow, not enough stories with these two together (their Kingdom Come statues have been my favorites for years).
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #19
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

EW, did you pick this one up yet? If so, what'd you think? I think we both know where you stand on Superman #650.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Another thumb's up review of Apocalypse v. Dracula, this one from www.newsarama.com:

X-Men: Apocalypse vs. Dracula #2
Writer: Frank Tieri
Artist: Clayton Henry
Reviewed by: Richard Renteria

To many, a book titled Apocalypse vs. Dracula can not be a good read. To those of us who have tried the title, we know the truth. Frank Tieri and Clayton Henry have managed to bring us a story that is filled with story, character and gorgeous art. Anyone who knows some history of both Apocalypse and Dracula know that these fictional creatures have existed through many centuries, so there is a lot of leeway the writers have to fill in some back story on the individual characters.

Ozymandias, Apocalypse’s chronicler, continues his story about the history between his master and the King of Vampires. After killing Dracula on the battlefield in the previous issue, Apocalypse’s minions seem to be getting killed one by one. Desperate for help, Clan Akkaba awakens Apocalypse from his slumber. After a little death and violence within during the meeting, a lesser clan member arrives with Professor Abraham Van Helsing in tow. Van Helsing explains to Apocalypse and his clan about how Dracula is killing them. After being attacked by three of his former minions in the city morgue Apocalypse returns back to Alexandria House. Unbeknownst to him, Count Dracula has arrived.

I have to congratulate Frank Tieri. He somehow manages to take a simple concept and milk some mileage out of it. Not only does the story feel fresh, but due to the nature of the story, almost all the characters are new, which adds to the overall feel of the story. Although Tieri does take some shortcuts moving from location to location, it works in the context of the overall story.

Clayton Henry’s art is solid. There are talking heads, vampires and morgue fights; through it all Henry manages to convey all the drama and action in a believable manner without going over the top. The only real quibble with the art is the lack of darkness. The art is just a bit too much on the bright side. When telling a story titled “Apocalypse vs. Dracula”, there is an expectation that the art will be a bit dark – in keeping with the tone of the story; that is not the case with this series. Overall though, Henry’s pencils are sharp and clear.

I know it is hard to convince people that this is a good read, but really it is. The story flows smoothly and naturally. The art is picture perfect and vibrant. What more could you want? Strongly Recommended.

...and Ultimate Extinction!

Ultimate Extinction #3 (Marvel; by Jeff Marsick): It’s hard to believe that the same person who wrote Down is the same one penning this series. While the former was subpar when it came out of the gates, Warren Ellis is on his game for the latter, delivering another exciting chapter in the coming of Gah Lak Tus, World Devourer (read it with the Blackhawk Down soundtrack in the background to get a fuller experience). Professor Xavier attempts a mind-meld with Sir Tus, but it fails when the cueball takes a psychic backslap and I can’t help but wonder if this result is akin to trying to touch God. Reed Richards big-brains a solution to Earth’s future as an hor douvre, but it dawns on him that revealing it to Nick Fury may not, in the long run, be the brightest thing he’s ever done. And the Silver Surfer is officially here (cue Joe Satriani), a rendition that is fantastic, a true herald to his king, cold and powerful and deadly (I loved the last panel, reminding us that the Surfer truly is an alien and not just Laird Hamilton in a reflective BodyGlove), my favorite from any version that have come before. Everything is clicking with this series. My only criticism is Captain America’s uncharacteristic dialogue: he sounds more John Walker than Steve Rogers, a change even from his Boy Scoutness in the first Ultimates series. But perhaps this is just his evolution, his squeaky-clean image beginning to tarnish with each mission he completes for Nick Fury. It makes me wonder if this is a subtle beginning to an Ultimates mini-series down the line: Ultimate Overthrow . If you haven’t been reading Ultimate Extinction , you’re missing out.