Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 04-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wktf's and Sam Wilson's Reviews 4/26/06

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Another big week this week with a variety of books available to even the choosiest of comic fans. A trio of chica books from DC, Hawkgirl, Catwoman, and Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes, Wildstorm’s excellent yet seemingly unloved The American Way, and from the distinguished competition we have Astonishing X-men and Reggie Hudlin’s Black Panther to choose from, oh yeah, and let’s not forget Dan Slott’s The Thing. So yeah, a great week for comics, my pick of the week this week is Hawkgirl (love that Howard Chaykin), and that being said, on the reviews…

Hawkgirl issue #51
DC Comics
Written by: Walter Simonson
Drawn by: Howard Chaykin

Yes, you read the title description correctly, two of the most legendary comic creators who are still living are writing Hawkgirl. Walter Simonson, whom you all know from his character defining work on Thor, and his other great works including X-factor, Batman, Manhunter, and even Orion. The man created Beta Ray Bill. Got a chance to meet him at NYC con as well, hell of a nice guy to boot. Then there is Howard Chaykin, who is best known for his independent work on the groundbreaking American Flagg series. He also updated the character The Shadow for the 20th century, and did the art for the 1977 “Star Wars” movie adaptation. Both of these creators have cut their teeth time and time again for major projects with major companies, and have met with great critical and fan success, and now they combine their talents for more of DC’s “One Year Later” Madness with Hawkgirl.

Umm, other than what I watch on the JLU animated series, there is not a heck of a whole lot I can tell you about Hawkgirl (hey, I’m a Chaykin and Simonson fan, that’s why I picked up this book, I never said I cared for the character). The Hawkgirl in this current series is Kendra Saunders, a young woman who committed suicide. When her soul left her body, that of her grandaunt, Shiera Hall , the Golden Age Hawkgirl, entered it. Umm, that’s about all I know. She has taken over Hawkman’s old comic starting with issue #50, and is still hanging out in St. Roch, Louisiana as a museum administrator. Hawkman has been missing for over a year (presumably after he events of the “Rann/Thangarian War”) and Kendra has been doing a bang up job reinvigorating the museum after the recent environmental catastrophes that have plagued the region. Anyway, weird things have been happening in St. Roch, homeless people have been found hacked up. An attempt is made on Kendra’s life (her car is tampered with and she almost dies in a wreck). All this, and old papers have been unearthed during the museum’s renovation, and a sealed vault in the basement is found to have old pictographs of what looks like hawk people. Then there is a cave in and we are led to the beginning of issue #51…

Issue #51 opens with Kendra in her bed only having a dim memory of recent events. She knows she wrecked her car because it is not in her parking spot, but she doesn’t remember being in a cave in and she thinks it was a dream. She meets an associate for dinner and soon finds herself (as Hawkgirl) getting involved in a grisly murder-in-progress. Some interesting story telling by Simonson, of course just more of what I would expect, and some dead-sexy art from Howard Chaykin. I know a lot of people are not a fan of his style, but I am, and he has truly outdone himself with Hawkgirl. So yeah, pick this book up, it definitely deserves its place as my pick of the week.

New Avengers Annual #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Olivier Coipel

A mighty marvel wedding event is the main focus of this annual, a wedding almost forgotten since both Alias and The Pulse have been cancelled and Bendis has been given carte blanche to do whatever he wants with the Jessica Drew aka Spider-woman character. Yes, I’m talking about the wedding of Marvel new/old comer Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. It all started back in Bendis’s MAX series Alias. Jessica Jones was a failed Avenger and thought she was a failure as a person; a down on her luck PI who decided one day to engage in a one-night-stand with her old pal Luke Cage (their relationship was given a nice “origin” story in the final issue of The Pulse). Well, she got pregnant, they ended up working together as Matt Murdock’s bodyguards, then Luke Cage was invited to join the New Avengers and Luke wanted to do right by Jessica and popped the question. She accepted and now they are getting married. Yeah, the kid has already popped out, crazy things have happened (Secret War, the failed “big event” limited series being one them), but the wedding is on. Well, the wedding and an updated for the new century Avengers villain who first showed up as a big green pain in the butt (waaaay back in “Avengers # 42, 196-something…) known as the Super-Adaptoid…

Anyway, AIM (Advanced Idea Mechanics for those who care, a techno/terrorist group) make the still-lightly crispy Yelena Belova aka the Black Widow 2 an offer to gain her revenge against the people she blames for her current state of, uh, crispiness (see New Avengers #’s 1-6 for more info on how that happened). They grant her the powers of an old Avengers Villain, the Super-Adaptoid, a, um, thing that can absorb the powers of everyone it touches. Then they sick her loose. That, and Jessica Jones accepts Luke Cages wedding proposal from the last issue of The Pulse (well duh). Not much else to say really, except everyone on the team gets in on the massive brawl, and the actual wedding is only a couple of pages long. It’s still pretty cool though. Not much Civil War stuff or anything like that, but a solid read and some chuckle worthy moments for sure. So yeah, if you want to see more Jessica Jones and learn the fate of Yelena and see some kick-a$# New Avengers action, then pick this book up. Word.

The American Way #3 (of 8)
DC/Wildstorm Comics
Written by: John Ridley
Drawn by: Georges Jeanty

For those of you who care, John Ridley wrote and directed one of my favorite movies ever, “The Three Kings” (Desert Storm movie with Mark Walhburg, George Clooney and Ice Cube). “Three Kings” was kinda like “Kelly’s Heroes” but with more heart, a lot more grey and was easily one of the most overlooked movies of its time. Comic writer Christopher Priest has often cited “Three Kings” as his inspiration for his “Crew” series (the short-lived Marvel book featuring Jim Rhodes, Josiah X, Kasper Cole and a few other lower tier Marvel characters who were much loved, but apparently not loved by enough). Anyway, The American Way is Ridley’s second foray into the comics genre, his first being the “Authority” OGN “Human on the Inside” (which was pretty good, check it out). Like “Three Kings” and his other work, Ridley’s The American Way is vaguely political, historically based and always intelligent.

The American Way opens in 1961 with the story of the ICON, a new concept car and its creator, Wesley Catham. The ICON was going to be the next hot automobile, but that fell flat. An alien attack on the earth at several locations at the same time, including the auto show debuting the ICON, messed that up. Yes, the Civil Defense Corps, the US’s own home grown super-team, repelled the attack, but the debut of the ICON would forever be associated with that day, and soon Wesley Catham found himself without a job, but not for long; which is fine and great but who the heck are the Civil Defense Corps (CDC)?

With members including space aliens and mini-skirt clad women, the CDC is this Earth’s ‘60’s version of the Avengers and the JLA. They are they heroes of the United States, having repelled many attacks, and always prevailed. From natural disasters to Nazi’s, the CDC has been there for the US, and has put them in a place of prominence as far as world power ranking, because it’s rough having to keep up with the Russian’s advances in space technology and nuclear weaponry, unfortunately there is one whole caveat to the CDC I have not mentioned yet. They are a fraud. Sure their powers are real, even there “exploits” are real (as much as pro-wrestling is real, or choreographed I should say), but everything they do, manufactured by the American propaganda machine since World War 2.

This brings us back to Wesley Catham, he was lucky enough to have been friends with Robert Kennedy, currently our nation’s Attorney General, now offered the task of keeping up the charade, and given charge of the hype machine that keeps America sleeping safe, and so it begins. Issue two has Catham neck deep into his new job and making some serious waves. He believes America is ready for (well, not ready for as much as needs) a black superhero, and no one else seems to agree with him, including said black super hero. Issue three has the entire team and Wesley questioning what they are doing, while his latest hero, the “New American” wants to tell the world that he is a black man. Things go from bad to worse, and the team learns what it is like to fight when the stakes are real, but against an enemy they didn’t see coming. Ridley has really outdone himself with this intricate, well plotted out story. George Jeanty’s art is beautiful as well, and I for one will be sticking with this series for as long as it is around and give it my highest possible recommendation.

Wktf’s Reviews

Pretty decent size week for me, and a great week for comics. In addition to the three I review below, I also picked up The Thing #6 (pull Slott’s thing, dammit!), Black Panther #15, New Avengers Annual #1 (happy to see Luke and Jessica tie the knot!), Astonishing X-Men #14 (with a cover that is both accurate and deceptive at the same time), Incredible Hulk #94, The Sentry #8 (I’ve been trash talking this series but buying every issue…I may need therapy on this one), Villains United Infinite Crisis Special, and The Collected Jack Kirby Collector Vol. 5 (yes!). A lot of great things happening in comics this week, not the least of which is happening in my first review…

Fantastic Four #537
Marvel Comics
Written by: J. Michael Straczynski
Drawn by: Mike McKone

I had so much fun writing the intro to last month’s Fantastic Four review I had to recycle that first paragraph here. Here we go.

Mjolnir. The hammer of Thor and the most powerful weapon in the known universe. Prior to FF #536 we last saw Mjolnir in the pages of Thor #85, way back in 2004 (has it really been two years?). Surtur, the one who killed Thor’s father Odin, the leader of the fire giants in the south and ruler of Muspel, the realm of fire, had reforged the thunder god’s broken hammer in exchange for a free pass to Asgard. According to Norse legend the end of the world, known as Ragnarok, would see Surtur’s hordes rush north to overwhelm the Asgardian gods. Thor, then newly repossessed of the Odinpower, made this legend possible for Surtur in order for his kin to die their final, glorious warriors’ death. Meanwhile, Thor dispatched “those who sit above in shadows” who, for time immemorial, had leeched off the energies from the Asgardians’ perpetual cycle of destruction and rebirth, a cycle these gods-of-gods themselves perpetuated for their own selfish purposes. Mjolnir was the tool of their deaths after which Thor, suffering grief for the loss of his people yet rejoicing in their final glorious end, realizing he “must stand alone” with even the personification of the Odinpower now fading from him, with “no star to guide [him]…or a bird to show [him] a sign,” seems to fade into the cosmos as he closes his eyes to rest and “breathe deep the slumber of the gods…for a while, at least…”

In discussing Fantastic Four #536-7, Editor Tom Breevort said in this interview, http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...arvelpress.htm, "It's the first step on the road to bringing back Thor into the Marvel Universe." Well, thunder-philes, flash to last month’s FF #536: a mysterious object that was registered to be “only a couple of feet in size, too small to do any significant damage” crashed to Earth (Oklahoma, specifically) six months ago and left an enormous crater from its impact. We know from last issue that the object was Mjolnir and that a government installation was built over it to safeguard and study it. Reed Richards and the FF were summoned by the military to help out and it’s a good thing, too, as it seemed every remaining Doombot had been powered up to attack this facility and retrieve Mjolnir. But not everything was as it seemed as the Fantastic Four not only took on the Doombots but, to Reed’s great surprise, also encounter Dr. Doom, himself, who was supposed to have been trapped in Hell! And Doom believed himself to be the only one worthy enough to lift and wield the sacred hammer, thereby granting him the power to rule over all the world’s nations.

Warning. Possible spoilers from this point forward: With FF #527 we learn that Mjolnir does not just represent Doom’s key to the future but also was his means of escape from Hell. In a scene that may well personify Doom’s villainous arrogance we see a flash back of his defiantly, and bereft of any weaponry, squaring off against the minions of Hell, daring them to take him down and proclaiming “- - There is Doom Enough For All!” But during this brief battle, Mjolnir’s descent to Earth created a dimensional rip into which Doom cast himself to return to Earth. And having felt the touch of the Asgardians as they fell, and the power of Thor as Ragnarok tore through Hell itself, he believed he was infused with the energies needed to lift Mjolnir. But was he? Reed Richards, not wanting to chance the answer, sent Ben into Doom’s path to stop him. And after a pitched brawl (it’s always great to see these two face each other) we get to see both Doom and Ben take there turns with the hammer. But to what effect? No one believes Doom should be able to achieve his goal but if Steve Rogers and Superman once were “worthy” enough to lift Mjolnir, is not also the noble Ben who, in FF #511, was resurrected from the dead by none other than the Almighty (and I don’t mean Odin) Himself, pure enough of heart to do so? Well, you’ll have to read this issue to find out.

But by far the most significant part of this tale occurs when those Asgardian energies with which Doom was infused touch the hammer, producing a reaction of huge intensity beyond all expectation. Reed astutely guesses that an “awakening” of sorts happened to Mjolnir (remember the whole “slumber of the gods” thing from the end of my first paragraph?). And as “something major is coming to Oklahoma,” under the rumble of thunder, in the form of an individual with a one-way bus ticket and a duffle bag marked with familiar initials, we realize both that an old enchantment, once removed, may have been reinstated and that Editor Breevort may well have spoke the truth. This issue is not great as an issue of the FF but, rather, as the prelude to a beloved old character’s new beginning. But in what form will he take? His state of being when last he was seen? The state more commonly known to Marvel readers? Dunno, but for all this, and for how wonderfully both JMS and Mike McKone set this stage while still teasing Thor fans mercilessly, it is my pick of the week.

New Avengers Annual #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Olivier Coipel

My esteemed colleague covered off beautifully, as usual, on this book so the only thing I want to add is that you shouldn’t forget to check out who “The Man” is that’s officiating the ceremony between Luke and Jess. Yes, this “Smilin’” gentleman is well known to all of Marveldom Assembled and it’s always great to see his face pop up in a Marvel comic every now and then!

Batman #652
DC Comics
Written by: James Robinson
Drawn by: Don Kramer

The “Face the Face” OYL Batman story arc that’s toggling between the two Bat books started off brilliantly last month in Detective Comics #817. We learned that Batman had been away for a full year but now was back and re-partnered with Robin, James Gordon was the commissioner again and Harvey Bullock is back on the force, and the reconstructed (see “Hush”) Harvey Dent has been acting as Gotham’s protector in the mean time. Sadly though, for Harvey, despite his new face he’s still hearing dark voices. The once fearsome KGBeast had been thrown off a roof with two (count ‘em, two) bullets in his head. Magpie, a villainess I’d not seen since John Byrne’s “Man of Steel,” and The Ventrioloquist/Scarface both (or all three, depending on your view of Scarface) were executed the same way.

The prior covers in this arc have focused on close ups of Batman and Harvey. This issue gives us Robin on the cover, up close. And this is a big action issue for Tim as he goes solo, with his mentor’s permission, in a pitched battle against Killer Moth. This issue continues the tact in this arc of presenting us with a calmer and more compassionate side to Batman than we’ve seen in years. The guilt over Tim’s father and responsibility he feels for Tim’s future, his desire to fight for Harvey despite mounting incriminating evidence to the contrary if only Harvey can tell Batman what he wants to hear, and the truly out of former character reconciliation with Bullock, all reinforce my last three issue’s perceptions that this is a Batman who’s undergone some serious introspection over the year he was missing and is bent on changing his ways from the two-dimensional boor of the more recent past. We also learn something interesting about the role Batman assigned Harvey during his one year absence, not unlike the role he assigned Azrael after the Broken Bat storyline which, as with Azrael, may have been more responsibility than Harvey’s fragile mind could handle. This is a solid issue that brings us to the half way point in “Face the Face,” presents more questions than answers right now, and continues to present a far more interesting and well rounded Batman than the one I’d given up on prior to Infinite Crisis. I’m enjoying this Batman relaunch immensely.

Wolverine #41
Marvel Comics
Written by: Stuart Moore
Drawn by: C.P. Smith

And now for a break in our regularly scheduled programming. Billed as a double-sized issue, this issue of Wolverine takes us out of the continuity that’s been built up over the last several months with a one-shot story before the new creative team takes over. The Black Panther has come to the Avengers to rescue the infant daughter of Africa’s Zwatheid President Mayamba. Mayamba was a peace maker in a land of pirates and pillagers but a vicious General Lago, realizing Mayamba’s power, had him murdered. The Panther, unable to move on one of his neighbors finds himself in need of assistance to someday bring a peaceful force to Zwareid in the form of Mayamba’s future adult daughter. And Logan volunteered to be this child’s savior.

I was really looking forward to this issue and, for the most part, it delivered pretty well. We see the compassionate as well as the killer sides of Wolverine and it’s a blend that works better than the pure berserker or coddling mentor as he’s sometimes portrayed. In fact, the most interesting parts of this comic are when he’s conflicted about killing his enslaved enemies and when he feels he must keep his berserker rage in check for the sake of the little charge strapped to his body. The punishment he suffers, from the jungle insects to bullets to the rain of arrows depicted on the cover is just staggering, though not more staggering that anything we’ve seen before (Mark Millar’s final WWII concentration camp issue would have us believe Logan has survived decapitation), and the fact he’s willing to come so close to death to protect one lone innocent who could also grow up to be a country’s future is totally consistent with a character who’s too quickly stereotyped as a two-dimensional killing machine. Still, both the writing and the art are a little rough, probably intentionally so, but it doesn’t work as well as it should. I didn’t enjoy the issue as much as I hoped I would. It kind of ran a course that I pretty much expected and didn’t offer anything new or interesting to longer time Wolverine readers. It actually may have been trying too hard to be that “special” Wolverine tale and, in doing so, ended up falling a little flat.

...and for b_c's good/bad/ugly reviews, be sure to click here:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=27464
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trade Reviews: Howard Chaykin!

One of today’s modern and still-working comic book creative legends is Howard Chaykin. Falling into that rare writer/artist category inhabited by the likes of Frank Miller and Walt Simonson, Chaykin is a comic book creator famous for his innovative storytelling and sometimes controversial material. He began as an assistant to Gil Kane and Neal Adams in the early 1970s and later launched his American Flagg concept in the early 1980s, but really became famous for his modern and ultra-violent revamp of The Shadow which firmly established him as a force to be reckoned with in the comic book industry. And Black Kiss, a series about sex-starved vampires in the late 1980s, established him as one of the most controversial. He’s done a bunch of other project work primarily for DC since then, now is the artist on Walt Simonson’s Hawkgirl and will also give us a Captain America-focused New Avengers issue soon. The two of us love his work and, to complement our Hawkgirl review, give you two other Chaykin works for your consideration. Yes, it’s an all-Chaykin trade review week for us!

Sam Wilson’s Review

Mighty Love
DC Comics (mature readers)
Written by: Howard Chaykin

There is not much more that I can say about Howard Chaykin that I didn’t say in my Hawkgirl review. I guess I could mention he’s also known for doing some “mature” readers work including co-plotting the critically acclaimed “American Century” for DC/Vertigo Comics and for being a TV writing, with credits including Mutant X, Earth: Final Conflict, The Flash, and Viper (yes, all forgettable shows, but hey, some of them had their moments). Anyway, a few years ago DC decided to release a hardcover OGN by Chaykin entitled “Mighty Love”, which Chaykin self-described as a “super-hero romantic comedy”. Wait, before you start rolling your eyes and think, “great, more crap from the guy who did bad TV”, remember, he also has done “The American Flagg” and will be doing issue 21 of “The New Avengers”, this guy is a modern day comics legend and you would be prejudging to dismiss his work as clichéd (regardless of the genre description) and derivative.

“Mighty Love” is the story of two agents of the law, Lincoln Reinhardt and Delany Pope. Reinhardt is a liberal lawyer who defends criminals, Pope (the female lead in our tale) is a conservative police detective who puts them way. More often than not, they find each other on opposite sides. What they don’t know is both of them are frustrated with their day-to-day. Reinhardt is sick of letting scumbags go free, and Pope is tired of serving a corrupt administration that is just as bad as the criminals they are supposed to be putting away. So they both decided to put on a mask and tights and work outside the law on their freetime, Reinhardt as the “Iron Angel”, and Pope as “Skylark”. Enter the YES! Corporation and a man name Yager. The YES! Corporation has a fundraiser to net one million dollars cash to raise money to buy the police department new Kevlar vests, only the armored car carrying the cash gets stolen in a brazen robbery. In the mix we have Reinhardt’s current lady friend (with a mysterious past), a madame with a little bit of something on everyone, a couple of dim-witted criminals and one of their ex-wives. What plays out is actually an intricately weaved story with a pretty cool ending, but that is not what drives this OGN…

To me this story is about two people and their newfound relationship. Reinhardt and Pope (aka “Iron Angel” and “Skylark”) cross paths investigating the YES! Corporation robbery both professionally and in their super-hero identities, and in their “secret” lives they find a soul mate in each other. They find they are two people who are similarly frustrated in life, and find a confidant in each other (at least that’s what they tell their shrinks). I don’t want to give too much away, but their relationship is handled in a very non-clichéd, non-Hollywood manner, which is what endears this story to me. It is different, definitely on the mature side, but sweet and even touching at times. So yeah, I dig this book, and it’s definitely worth checking out. “Mighty Love” is readily available in hardcover ($24.95) or softcover ($17.95) form, so pick this up next time you are looking for something smart to read, you won’t be disappointed.

Wktf’s Review

Challengers of the Unknown: Stolen Moments, Borrowed Time
DC Comics
Written by: Howard Chaykin

The very first trade review I ever wrote was for the DC Archive Editions of Jack Kirby’s Challengers of the Unknown, vol. 1 & 2. Four years before Jack and Stan birthed The Fantastic Four and changed comic books forever, Kirby created a foursome in mono-colored body suits (purple) who barely survived a plane crash, after which they considered themselves to be “living on borrowed time.” The non-super powered Ace Morgan, Rocky Davis, Red Ryan and Prof. Haley dedicated themselves to a life of “fantastic” adventure all for the expressed purpose of defending the planet against menaces no one else would tackle. And some of those menaces would give you pause even if you were a gamma irradiated green monster or a hammer wielding thunder god. Since Kirby’s Challengers saw life other comic book creators have taken their shots at them. The very first of Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale’s famous collaborations was on the Challengers, and I reviewed that one as well. The Challengers also were an integral part of Darwyn Cooke’s award winning The New Frontier. In 2004 Howard Chaykin produced a six-part mini-series with all new characters that moved The Challengers in an entirely new direction, but builds perfectly from Kirby’s first stories (though we don’t realize this until the series’ fifth installment), and rewrites world history all at the same time. DC was kind enough to recently collect his work into one helluva powerful, fast moving and entertaining trade. And, now that I’ve given it my endorsement, I’ll try to bring you up to speed. But I’ve got to warn you, this story has as many moving parts as a Swiss watch and is confusing as hell until it, finally, does come together. So, if what follows seems a little convoluted then I apologize up front.

First of all, the world we live in is not at all the one we believe it to be, at least beginning with the early 20th century, near as I can tell. Many of the major players and events that shaped global history, such as Lenin’s revolution, the stock market crash of 1929 and subsequent Great Depression, Hitler’s rise to power and the Nazi Holocaust, Stalin’s rule over the USSR, JFK’s assassination, and racial segregation in the U.S. have all been orchestrated by a world force known as Hegemony. And Hegemony is ruled over by the seemingly immortal Mae Nash Price, a blond ice queen who surrounds herself with beautiful fairies, the kind with wings and antennae, that is, and her motivation is right wing world order and ethnic and cultural purity. Borrowing and warping a technique from The Dark Knight Returns, Hegemony manipulates world opinion through ultra conservative news anchors on a network called “Knownownet” that seed public opinion with Miss Price’s propaganda. And the organization has legions of individuals who are blissfully unaware they’re living lives that aren’t their own. In reality they are expertly trained killers who are conditioned to obey, who snap-to at a moment’s command to do the organization’s bidding courtesy of a mind-control chip planted in their heads. However, when any of those agents breaks free, as has been known to happen from time-to-time, it’s a full court press for Hegemony to reign them back in. In this case, no less than five extraordinary people with nothing in common share a bond in surviving a terrorist attack on Long Beach, CA, and they all not only discover blood running down their foreheads from an exploded implanted micro-chip but also are surprised to find they have augmented strength, speed, and ruthless killing abilities. They are Zach Dailey, Tessa Clarke, Rydell Smith, Kendra Houlihan and Holden Crane. And they also discover that they need all the skills they have and to partner with each other to insure their best shot at survival.

This book is classic Chaykin, which is to say it’s packed with wild action, kung fu style fighting, Michael Mann style gun battles, and is wrapped in a James Bond style tale of intrigue, espionage and all powerful world-threatening villains. Also, it’s beautifully drawn and written. Chaykin pours all the creativity he put into American Flagg, Blackhawk and The Shadow into his Challengers tale to give us one amazing roller coaster of a ride. The action and gun battles are ferocious and incredibly loud, even for a medium with no sound. The various moving parts all come together into what may be the biggest conspiracy theory story ever created. Not all five of our heroes make it to the end but, by the end, we see the connection to Jack Kirby’s classic characters as this group, too, realize they are “living on borrowed time” and vow to carry on the Challengers’ proud name. What else can I say? If mind-blowing action, outstanding character development, a world-spanning threat and one of the most fun, fast and furious stories I’ve ever read just isn’t your thing then you absolutely must not pick up this trade.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Jack8022
Daredevil

I haven't finished going through my stack yet but FF 537 is looking like my pick of the week as well. I did like how JMS explained Doom's return. It's also good to see Doom back in his real armor.
Jack8022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
bat_collector
Galactus

great review on batman, wktf. I'm loving it. ONly one thing Bruce hasn't thought about, Jason Todd! Can't wait to see some of that.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Sir Dana, I thank you for your kind praises! I'd sworn of the FF, actually, after reading only two issues of JMS' stories but these two issues o'erwhelmed me, as well. Madness abounds, I say thee! And 'tis a madness most joyously embraced!

Now all we need are Ryche's two cents on these FF issues.

b_c, thanks for the Batman props, as well! Any thoughts from you on Wolverine?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

word on the FF joe.

Yo, no Chaykin fans?
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Yeah, let's talk Chaykin!! Challengers? Mighty Love? Hawkgirl?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
bat_collector
Galactus

Hey sam, read my thrillkillers review! I like Chaykin. Comment there too. :-)
Old 04-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
great review on batman, wktf. I'm loving it. ONly one thing Bruce hasn't thought about, Jason Todd! Can't wait to see some of that.
b_c, I'm not a fan of Jason's return and the dynamics between him and Nightwing currently don't interest me either. I hope he doesn't appear in either Batman or Detective. I think we've seen enough of him in the two core Bat titles for a while.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
b_c, I'm not a fan of Jason's return and the dynamics between him and Nightwing currently don't interest me either. I hope he doesn't appear in either Batman or Detective. I think we've seen enough of him in the two core Bat titles for a while.
We disagree again. I'm loving it. Sure, its isn't Winter Soldier, but it doesn't have to be.

Jason Todd rocks!