Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 04-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #21
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz
I remember Black Kiss. I still have the original comics and that was a hard series to put together if you missed an issue or two.

I made a conscious choice with Planet Hulk to wait for the Hard Cover. I figure with the comic in isolation from the rest of the Marvel Universe, it will not lessen my enjoyment if I don't read it in a timely manner.
I'm not sure this arc is in isolation from the rest of the Marvel U. It ties into what happened in Avengers Illuminati, is linked to the continuity of events leading up to Civil War and, I believe, it's going to integrate back in a major way, eventually.

I've been looking forward more to Civil War as each week passes. A big reason for this is Mark Millar. Funny the first of Marvel's event books and the last of Infinite Crisis are both coming out in the same week, next week. I plan to review them both.
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #22
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
I'm not sure this arc is in isolation from the rest of the Marvel U. It ties into what happened in Avengers Illuminati, is linked to the continuity of events leading up to Civil War and, I believe, it's going to integrate back in a major way, eventually.
I also agree with you. My point was my decision to wait for the HC is based on my feeling that there won't be a tie-in as long as it is going on. The aftermath WILL have an impact, I agree with you for sure.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #23
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz
I also agree with you. My point was my decision to wait for the HC is based on my feeling that there won't be a tie-in as long as it is going on. The aftermath WILL have an impact, I agree with you for sure.
Ah...got it!
Old 04-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #24
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Hey WKTF,

Great reviews but why no mention of Army of Iron Men kicking the heck out of the new Adaptoid (miss the old one already).

Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:50 AM   #25
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Sam Wilson’s Reviews

.. the fate of Yelena and see some kick-a$# New Avengers action, then pick this book up. Word.
Word on N.A., Sam. Fastball special Avengers-style .
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #26
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton
Hey WKTF,

Great reviews but why no mention of Army of Iron Men kicking the heck out of the new Adaptoid (miss the old one already).

tet, that was on me. I left the resolution to the adaptoid conflict out because I try to avoid major spoilers in my reviews (sigh).

And WORD cblakey. That was pretty awesome w/ms. marvel/wolvie.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #27
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
tet, that was on me. I left the resolution to the adaptoid conflict out because I try to avoid major spoilers in my reviews (sigh).

And WORD cblakey. That was pretty awesome w/ms. marvel/wolvie.
I thought the army of Iron Men was a really great idea and delivered beautifully. Just an awesome and frightening scene (well, I'd be scared if I were the villain). I also am a big fan of Coipel's art from the Red Zone arc in the old Avengers book.

I loved the "Fastball special, Avengers Style!" moment between Ms. Marvel and Wolvie. A great, humorous touch!
Old 04-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #28
bat_collector
Galactus

My two cents on:

wolverine:

Dang, gotta disagree with you on some counts. This issue exemplifies why Wolverine is my second favorite comic character. Logan's given these type of assignments because 1) he'll survive, and 2) he'll probaby get the job done. Yet, as you mentioned, there is a very compassionate (especially towards children) side of him. But much of that is beneath the surface. It comes out in an issue like this, where he's alone, and where we get to read his thoughts. He's written so much better here than in Milligan's X-men or Bendis's New Avengers.

As far as the art, it something to realize you don't see wolverine's face at all until the last few panels. You see his mask, but never the emotion he's emitting while traveling, fighting, or killing. Not until the end, towards the resolution. In face, most's people's faces are obscured by shadows in this issue. I think it helped convey the mood of this issue, where everyone is twisted up by this inhumane manner of living they are forced to live.

Great stuff, especially for a single issue.

As far as Hawkgirl, everyone should be reading this.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #29
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Thanks for your comments, b_c. I'm not sure we're actually in disagreement on the points you make. In fact, I think I pretty much said the same thing you did in your first paragraph (though not in the same words, of course). Good point on the art and use of shadows. My biggest gripe with the issue is that, once the problem/resolution plot was laid out, for the most part you could call how the story was going to go other than for some important details such as the compassion Wolverine felt for the men he was forced to kill and his concerted effort to keep his berserker side in check for the sake of the charge he was transporting.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:09 PM   #30
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Thanks for your comments, b_c. I'm not sure we're actually in disagreement on the points you make. In fact, I think I pretty much said the same thing you did in your first paragraph (though not in the same words, of course). Good point on the art and use of shadows. My biggest gripe with the issue is that, once the problem/resolution plot was laid out, for the most part you could call how the story was going to go other than for some important details such as the compassion Wolverine felt for the men he was forced to kill and his concerted effort to keep his berserker side in check for the sake of the charge he was transporting.
yeah, sorry, I was mainly disagreeing on the art. Iliked the art a lot on the issue, and loved the use of shadows on it. But I'm a sucker for quirky art like this one that seems to help tell the story.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote