Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Wktf’s Reviews

Daredevil #85
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Michael Lark

“The Devil in Cell-Block D” continues with Part Four this issue. The quick recap is that, at the end of the Bendis/Maleev labor of love, Matt Murdock was captured by the FBI and arraigned on charges for being Daredevil. Currently, now that Brubaker and Lark have taken over, he’s spending time in Rykers much to the chagrin of the other cell mates, like The Owl, whom Murdock has been using for his private punching bags. And he’s in Rykers along with Wilson Fisk, The Kingpin. The story of Murdock in prison, and his personal deconstruction (similar to what Frank Miller did in “Born Again”) with the murder of his partner and best friend Foggy Nelson, has been wonderful thus far. I’ve gone so far as to say this is the best comic published by any comics company today. And with the voluntary addition last issue of The Punisher to Rykers…well, sparks have got to start flying soon. Unfortunately, they don’t start flying with this issue. In fact, this issue seems to be the calm before the storm as several mysteries continue to build.

Foggy’s killer is identified in whispers throughout Rykers: The Kingpin. But is he really the killer, as much as it seems so? Or are the inmates at Rykers looking to instigate their opportunity for a front row seat to the grudge match of the century: Murdock vs. Fisk? Turk, one of Frank Miller’s best character creations, delivers a message to Matt that Fisk wants a meeting and Matt, smiling, is only too happy to oblige. But this meeting yields no satisfaction for Murdock or the other inmates who want both dead. And a plan is hatching to ignite the prison in a war in which both Murdock and Fisk may be victims. But, in the mean time, we’re no closer to knowing who killed Foggy, who the new Daredevil is who’s now got Dakota in his sights as she’s being tailed by two mob boys, and what the Punisher’s final game is (though he says he wants in on Matt’s action and to see what it looks like for Matt to turn into a character like Castle).

While this issue feels like a pause in the action, Brubaker and Lark move the plot along at what feels like the perfect pace. There’s an eruption coming. I don’t know if it’s next issue or not but, damn, if this still isn’t the best series out there on the market!

Okay... this sounds really good. I can't remember the last time a title read that grim and gritty. Nice review wktw!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:44 PM   #22
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar
Okay... this sounds really good. I can't remember the last time a title read that grim and gritty. Nice review wktw!
Thanks, risingstar!

b_c, you're the only one I know of on this forum who thinks Jason's resurrection was the least bit worthwhile. But keep holding on to you individuality, man. It's what makes you...you.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #23
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59
I am excited to read it myself now also... escpecially becaus eyou DID pick it over DD... I have similar tastes in stories to you so I know I will love it!
So, Keith, I'm dyin' here, man...What did you think of Batman?
Old 05-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #24
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Great reveiws guys.

I just think that one other thing that needs mention is the letters page in She-Hulk #8. It's full of some of the "less favourable" correspondence received by Marvel about the She-Hulk over the years. Gave me a laugh
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:55 PM   #25
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan74
Great reveiws guys.

I just think that one other thing that needs mention is the letters page in She-Hulk #8. It's full of some of the "less favourable" correspondence received by Marvel about the She-Hulk over the years. Gave me a laugh

huh, didn't even catch that. I'm gonna have to check it out...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #26
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Fantastic reviews as always guys. These reviews along with Mikes really add class to this forum.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #27
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
huh, didn't even catch that. I'm gonna have to check it out...
Me too, missed it completely.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #28
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
Fantastic reviews as always guys. These reviews along with Mikes really add class to this forum.
Thanks bulls. You got any requests for tpbs?
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #29
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Let me think about that Sam. Heading to see X3 now.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #30
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
Thanks bulls. You got any requests for tpbs?
Sam, I just emailed you an idea for trade reviews. LMK what you think.