Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 10-04-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wktf's and Sam Wilson's Reviews 10/4/06

Wktf’s Reviews

Kind of a slow week for me, with the exception of trade books such as Dr. Strange vs. Dracula, Enemy Ace Archives vol. 2, and the Infinite Crisis HC. Planet Hulk continues in a big way and this issue, my pick of the week, is a pretty huge turning point for one very sympathetic character, finally. On to the reviews!

Dr. Strange: Oath #1 (of 5)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian K. Vaughan
Drawn by: Marcos Martin

The good Dr. Strange has been an integral player in the Marvel Universe over the last several years. He featured prominently in Amazing Spider-Man during the early part of JMS’ run on the title and even appeared in a mini series by this writer recently. He also helped the Fantastic Four against Dr. Doom when Doom trapped poor Franklin in Hell. And, of course, he was a featured hero in Avengers Disassembled, House of M, and the recent Defenders mini series. But, while he’s kicked in as a mighty ally in all these titles Marvel seems to have had trouble figuring out how to frontline him in his own title again.

Step in Brian K. Vaughan, one of today’s most respected comic book writers, of Ex-Machina, Y: The Last Man and Pride of Baghdad fame. Along with Marcos Martin, who’s built a little (but not too much) Steve Ditko flavor into his pencils, BKV here presents us with an all too human, mystically powerful, and fun (yes, the sometimes stuffy doctor here is fun) character and an outstanding beginning to this mini series which I hope, as long as this creative team is attached, will lead to an ongoing Dr. Strange title.

Our hero has been shot and his faithful man-servant, Wong, has brought him to the Night Nurse who, herself, has seen a bit of a renaissance since her appearance in Bendis’ Daredevil. Iron Fist and Arana must wait their turn as the desperate Wong brings Stephen Strange to the Night Nurse’s operating table. The mystery of how he came to be shot, and how his assailant could cut through Dr. Strange’s mystical defenses, is revealed in short order, and the premise actually is pretty original, but not before we must suffer through another retelling of Strange’s origin (really, BKV, this wasn’t necessary) as the good doctor’s astral form guides the Night Nurse as she operates on Strange’s body. How he came to be shot was in the service he was providing to Wong who, sadly, suffers from a fatal and inoperable brain tumor. And the “oath” in this series’ title refers to the Hippocratic Oath he swore when he first was a surgeon. But the mystical cure, Strange and his assailant’s boss discovered, goes far beyond its immediate need.

This was an exciting and intriguing first issue. I’m delighted that Dr. Strange finally has found a voice to kick start him back into the Marvel limelight. He was one of Stan Lee’s earliest creations, after all, according to Stan’s Origins of Marvel Comics. I hope non-Dr. Strange fans will give this series a try. Based on what I’m seeing here, you may discover the same experience non-Captain America fans did when they picked up Brubaker’s Cap.

Detective Comics #824
DC Comics
Written by: Paul Dini
Drawn by: Don Kramer

Yes! Don Kramer, the artist who did such a great job on the “Face the Face” arc that reintroduced the One Year Later Batman, is back on Detective Comics at least for this issue (he’ll be back for the December Joker story as well!). Continuing his outstanding run of one-shot, self contained stories, Dini opens this one with Batman trapped by The Penguin and suspended about a trio of ravenous leopard seals. This may seem like an Adam West “Batman” cliff hanger but the story is anything but campy. Of course, Batman escapes but chooses not to bust up and take in The Penguin, who has returned to Gotham a year after the Infinite Crisis chaos passed. Rather, as Bruce Wayne chooses to bring a vapid but gorgeous date, hand picked by Alfred, to the grand reopening of Cobblepot’s ice berg lounge.

Because this is Batman, and Dini’s Batman, all is not as it seems. While, naturally, we suspect no good on The Penguin’s part, especially after seeing him with the criminal-turned-sleuth Riddler, we learn that it is The Penguin who turns out to be the victim in this tale of robbery, crooked gambling and, naturally, brilliant detective work. A Mr. ZZZ, a huge mob muscle guy with a bizarre form of narcolepsy (he can actually function while asleep) is cleaning The Penguin out at the poker table. And with the assistance of Zatanna, who certainly owes Batman a favor or two, and Lois Lane, who’s covering the opening of Penguin’s place, Batman moves quickly to resolve this mystery and free a hostage at the same time. And, in so doing, we may be seeing the birth of a new Gotham villain.

This issue has a couple of high notes. One of them is a “Jaws” kind of moment with Bruce’s date’s little poodle and The Penguin’s elephant seals. The dialogue between Lois and Bruce is terrific and, of course, Dini’s trademark detective story elements all combine for another winner. Each one of these one issue stories has been a gem. I don’t know how long Dini’s run on the title will last but, collected, I’m certain they’ll make a fantastic anthology that will be outstanding reference material for any aspiring Batman writer.

Fantastic Four #540
Marvel Comics
Written by: J. Michael Straczynksi
Drawn by: Dale McKone

Well, chronologically, this issue seems to come directly after Ben’s walking off from the end of last issue, concurrent with Amazing Spider-Man #535, but before Sue’s leaving Reed in Civil War #4. Ben appears in this issue but tells Reed he’s leaving, possibly for Paris. But this issue is all about the dissolving of Reed and Sue’s marriage. Most of the issue, in fact, involved very little action and focuses on the dialogue between these two. And, hats off to JMS, the dialogue’s pretty damn riveting.

Sue is baffled, ashamed of, and infuriated by Reed’s behavior. How can he not only support a law that pits them against their friends and former allies but also actively work with Iron Man to imprison these self-same people? But while Sue is all emotion, Reed seems to have fallen into the trap of cold logic, focusing on the numbers, all numbers, and insisting all he’s doing is complying with the law. He urges Sue to work to change the law if she believes it’s wrong but, for right now, to stay with him and work through this, as they once traveled through Hell together to save their child. As Sue presses Reed to explain his behavior there’s an incredible moment when he claims he’s doing this to protect Sue, to which Sue responds in a way to prove, yet again, why she is the most powerful member of the FF. And her comment equating Reed's behavior to the Nazis' claim they were just "following orders" had to hurt Reed like hell. If there’s a true hero in this Civil War conflict, it’s Sue Richards so far! But Sue quickly discovers that Reed is acting not out of bravery or a focus on doing what’s right, the Reed she once new and married, but out of a fear born from the very first MK4 arc…something, frankly, I hadn’t considered. It explains a lot toward the psychology of Reed Richards right now but, frankly, he’s acting like a coward and both Sue and Ben know it.

As with last issue, we get some great integration and cross-title work with JMS’ other title, The Amazing Spider-Man. We see another take on Peter and Tony’s visit to the Negative Zone prison but, more important, discover Iron Man’s trip to the “little superhero room” was only an opportunity for Stark to eavesdrop on Peter and Reed’s discussion about Reed’s uncle. Stark could not come off worse this issue, Reed could not be more pathetic, and Sue could not be stronger or more impressive. Great issue, all the way around!

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Not a really great week for me, I find myself only purchasing a few books, including: Fantastic Four (a “Civil War” crossover, damn that Reed Richards) and The Incredible Hulk. Marv Wolfman’s first issue of Nightwing is out, which may or may not be a bad thing and of course Ennis and Robertson’s The Boys. If you are not reading that book you have no sense of humor and need to be shot. Not really much else to say, my pick of the week is Incredible Hulk (unleashing Hell baby), and that being said, on to the reviews…

Nightwing #125
DC Comics
Written by: Marv Wolfman
Drawn by: Dan Jurgens (layouts) and Norm Rapmund (finishes)

For those youngin’s out there, Marv Wolman is the cat who created Nightwing, way back in Marv Wolman and George Perez’s “New Teen Titan” series, during the now legendary “Judas Contract” storyline. At one point the “New Teen Titans” were neck and neck with Marvel’s X-men, but since those glory days Wolfman has essential gone the way of Chris Claremont and churns out nothing but over indulgent spew. Anyway, during “Infinite Crisis” we saw Richard Grayson propose to Barbara Gordon and save the world with Superboy. It’s a not so well known comic secret that good old Richard Grayson was also supposed to die at the end of “Infinite Crisis”, but he didn’t, instead he came back “One Year Later” to New York City to start anew. Boy those first few stories were awful, then writer Bruce Jones seemed to give a flying rats ass about one of DC Comics favorite sons, and now the powers that be brought back the man to see if they can save Richard from comic mediocrity. How was the first issue? Well…

Marv Wolfman’s first issue of Nightwing isn’t so bad. Some mysterious shadowy dude pops up to creepily say, “Nightwing, you should be dead”. At first I thought it was the Specter, but it is someone else judging by the guys shape. Nightwing looks for a day job to keep him grounded as Richard Grayson, his massage therapist neighbor shamelessly flirts with him and he gets mixed up in some Lexcorp Murder/Revenge thing. A buy the numbers story, nothing Earth shattering, but it didn’t make me want to gouge my eyes out like Bruce Jone’s “Nightwing” did. So will I stay one? For now I guess, but I hope this book steps it up a little.

Incredible Huk #99
Marvel Comics
Written by: Greg Pak
Drawn by: Aaron Lopresti

For those of you who haven’t been tuning in, the Hulk has undergone some craziness in the last year or so. Apparently the most powerful people in the Marvel Universe have banded together and formed a group called “The Illuminati” and meet periodically to decide how things in the world are going to go, this group consists of Professor X, Tony Stark, Black Bolt, Black Panther, Sub Mariner, Nick Fury and Reed Richards. Recently they decided the Earth would be better off if they removed the Hulk, so they tricked him (as Bruce Banner) in to taking this mission to destroy a rogue SHIELD satellite, which ultimately became the Hulks prison and was supposed to transport him to an uninhabited yet livable planet where he was supposed to sped the rest of his years unable to hurt anyway. Yes, things went awry and the Hulk knocked the ship off course and it crashed on a planet ruled by a ruthless emperor whom forced people into these endless gladiator matches. The Hulk got caught up in this, became a really good gladiator (surprise) and ended up leading the people to revolution (apparently the denizens of this world think the Hulk is part of some greater prophesy). Recently, the Hulk has decided he is going to kick a lot of ass, and the emperor’s #1 soldier/bodyguard/badass, Caiera, has decided she is going to go mano-a-mano with Hulk to prevent armies from fighting and a lot of unnecessary blood being spilt…

Before the Hulk and Caiera can get it on the emperor plays it dirty, and safe by releasing some nasty alien parasites, or “spikes” to kill the Hulk, and wherever he stands, including any innocents who may be around him (like I’ve said before, the emperor is kind of a dick). So the emperor firebombs the crap out of the Hulk and company in order to destroy him (and the spikes he conveniently set loose) but only succeeds in alienating his head bad ass and pissing off the Hulk, the # one guy you would not like when he is angry. Issue #100 is going to be bad ass, I’m sensing “King Hulk” (kinda like King Conan, but green and pissed off), but either way, I’m sure it will be awesome. If you are not picking up this book, check it out and unleash hell. Word.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trade Reviews: Bring on the Monsters!

It’s October,Halloween month, and so we're planning on reviewing a horror-type trade each week this month. In addition to superheroes, the horror genre has always been a particular favorite of mine ever since I was a kid. The similarities between Batman and Dracula, is what I recall linking the two categories for me all those decades ago and, no surprise, I’ve always gotten a kick out of Dracula and vampires in general for as long as I can remember. So, anyway, I hope this month long theme works for you and, with that said, away we go!

Wktf’s Review

Universal Monsters Cavalcade of Horror
Dark Horse Comics
Written by: Dan Jolley, Den Beauvais, Dan Vado, Steve Moncuse
Art by: Tony Harris, Den Beavuais, Jonathan D. Smith, Art Adams

Dark Horse published this book in January of this year and when I saw it at my lcs I impulsively just grabbed it and added it to the stack I brought to the cashier. It’s not hyperbole to say that while Universal Studios in no way invented horror cinema they certainly changed it, possibly forever, with their incredible run of monster movies starting in the 1930s. Their versions of Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Wolfman, The Invisible Man and The Creature from the Black Lagoon (the latter of which, actually, didn’t hit the screens until about 20 years after its predecessors) indelibly planted the images of Karloff, Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr, and Claude Raines as these characters in the public’s mind. And, of course, I own the finely packaged dvd collections of all these films and their many, and sometimes ludicrous, sequels. While, in retrospect, these first films can seem quaint and even campy today, their tales of macabre terror and tragedy created iconic cultural images that have lasted more than 60 years and also inspired generations of film makers. I can remember my own grandmother, may she rest in peace, tell me how terrified she was, even as a young adult, of Lugosi’s Dracula, the most human looking of all the monsters but who’s touch sentenced his victims to eternal damnation. This book contains incredibly faithful and beautifully rendered comic book adaptations of Universal Studios’ The Mummy, Frankenstein, Dracula and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I don’t understand why The Creature was included over The Wolfman or The Invisible Man but, nevertheless, it was.

The first story is “The Mummy,” scripted by Dan Jolley and art by Tony Harris. The most striking element of this tale is how well the creators portray Karloff’s devious and sinister Imhoptep as he pretends to be the local guide Ardeth Bey as he attempts to reunite with his lost love Anhksenamun. Being buried alive for centuries never sat well with Imhoptep but his maniacal attempt to recapture his life, and the evil he attempts to perpetrate, is tempered by his sadness and pain over his lost life and love. And Jolley and Harris together bring this horror and pain out for the reader, even as those moments when The Mummy rises from his coffin and walks, and Imhoptep’s face continuously flakes and crumbles, are brought to ghastly life.

“Frankenstein” is up next and may be the most painful and touching story of this collection, with story and painted art by Den Beauvais. Beauvais painstakingly captures the screen likenesses of the characters and is faithful to the original script as well. But it’s the portrayal of the monster, as is the case in the Karloff film, that is the highlight of this story. His confusion, innocence, joy, pain, anger and sadness come out in spades here. His self loathing when he accidentally murders a small child while attempting to play with her and confusion and fear when he meets his fiery end both are heartrending.

“Dracula” gets special creative treatment with Jonathan D. Smith’s moody, painted art. Every panel is eerily and ambiguously defined, as if the entire story is told in a swirling, misty dream-like atmospheric state. The way Smith captures Bela Lugosi’s face is unreal, with many face shots taken directly from the movie while others are wild Lugosi interpretations of Dracula’s unholy cravings.

Finally, we have the most purely comic book styled story in the book with “The Creature from the Black Lagoon,” story by Steve Moncuse and art by Art Adams and Terry Austin. Unlike the other dark, moody stories this one is bright and colorfully rendered with strong, well defined line work and inking. Much like the Frankenstein Monster, The Creature is an innocent creature, rather than purely malevolent being like Dracula, who finds himself persecuted and hunted even as he searches for acceptance and maybe even love. It’s a tense and fun story. As good as it is, I’d still rather have seen The Wolfman or Invisible Man in this volume.

Two added bonuses to this collection are a beautifully painted cover images and some internal art by Goon creator Eric Powell, who also supplies the introduction for this book. Anyone who ever was a teenager should be able to appreciate Powell’s heartfelt love for the misunderstood Frankenstein Monster, even as teenagers gravitated to Stan Lee and Steve Ditko’s misunderstood Spider-Man in the 1960s. This introduction is one of those rare instances where it actually serves as an enhancement to the book, another reason to buy it, rather than some throwaway intro. Still in print and for only $19.95, this book is a blast for any fan of the Universal Monsters or graphic storytelling in general.

Sam Wilson’s Review

Preacher: Dixie Fried TPB vol. 5 (of 9)
DC Comics/Vertigo
Written By: Garth Ennis
Drawn By: Steve Dillon
Not For: The week of stomach, or Goths.

“Preacher” was my first real exposure to “alternative” comics as a teenager. It was my sophomore year in college, and I was still an impressionable 19-year-old know-it-all. Yeah, I was young and stupid and was realizing learning was “cool”, and I was a college student and I had to start hanging out at coffee shops and reading dissident poetry, protesting the “man”. Well, okay, I was a rich man’s son so that felt pretty hypocritical. Instead I just decided to check out other comics besides my weekly fill of capes. I remember seeing the original adds for “Preacher” at my LCS, Jesse Custer’s head surrounded by fire looking over a church, eyes lit up manically. I figured this book might be worth checking out.

Let me tell you, those first few story arcs of “Preacher” really blew me away. The characters, their interactions, and the violence, oh yes, the violence. It was like watching a movie made by John Woo and Sam Peckinpah after they did an eight ball and slammed 4 redbulls, and then said fu$# off to the MPAA and went butt crazy with themselves. Yes, “Preacher” is violent. Yes, it was disturbing, but it all had a point. It was part of a larger story; yeah, yeah, they didn’t have to go so over the top, but if you feel that way you’re missing the point. “Preacher” was about breaking conventions. You had a main character that was honorable, fair, and righteous surrounded by extreme violence, debauchery, and the occasional iron cast sex toy. Ennis was writing about the American dream, but going through the American nightmare to get there.

Then we come to my absolute favorite “Preacher” story, “Cassidy: Blood and Whiskey”, reprinted along with the New Orleans chapter of the “Preacher” epic. When I recommended this comic to wktf, I suggested he check out the first volume, “Gone to Texas”, and then this volume. Even though it is toward the middle of the run, to me it best represents what “Preacher” is all about. At this point in the story we know Cassidy’s “origin”, and we know he has at least one huge character flaw, but what was he like before hooking up with Jesse and Tulip?

“Cassidy: Blood and Whiskey” has our favorite Irish Vampire heading off to New Orleans after having sex with some random southern Sheriff’s wife, and subsequently getting his brains blown out. Cassidy smells something strange in the air and ends up in New Orleans. For the first time in his century of living he comes across one of his own, another vampire named Eccarius.

Eccarius is an Ann Rice vampire, or at least that’s what he thinks Vampires are supposed to act like. He hangs out with the local Goth kids and from what I can tell has pretty much been a total douche since he has crossed over to the living dead (as Cassidy says, he’s a wanker). To make a long story short, Cassidy gives Eccarius and his followers a hard earned lesson in life and self-identity in what is possibly the most hilarious, brutal and damned entertaining stories I have ever read.

Buy Preacher darnit, this is Garth Ennis masterwork. Steve Dillon’s art has never been better. The TPB’s were recently out of print, but DC is now putting them back in print with new covers. Buy them. Read them. Live them. You won’t be sorry.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
bat_collector
Galactus

you guys already got your comics AND wrote reviews??????

I haven't even left work yet. Well I've got some things to handle and won't even get my comics till the weekend. Something to look forward to. I may give Dr. STrange a try Joe.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

I'm not going to read this until tomorrow at work... I need something to do there!
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Teague
Iron Man

I gotta agree that Fantastic Four is going great guns right now. Actually, JMS is doing astounding work on both FF and ASM, and he's playing beautifully on the CW field. I'm loving how intertwined these two books are, and yet they're both able to be read separately without any confusion. That's a great trait for tie-ins to boast, and can't usually be truthfully claimed!
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
you guys already got your comics AND wrote reviews??????
Once again, a stunningly different and unpredictable comment from our resident momo...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

brother joe, is the Hulk not 1,140 lbs of total bad ass?

Brother dawg, I know you are reading this.

Friend Dana, stop being a moping momo about Thor and pick up the Hulk. Indeed brother...
Old 10-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson View Post
brother joe, is the Hulk not 1,140 lbs of total bad ass?
Brother Sam, verily, truer words ne'er were spake!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
patrickwm68
The Flash

"Nightwing, you should be dead”. Funny, in the latest issue of Ion a mysterious figure said the same thing to Kyle Rayner. Somethings going on.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:47 AM   #10
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
"Nightwing, you should be dead”. Funny, in the latest issue of Ion a mysterious figure said the same thing to Kyle Rayner. Somethings going on.
meh. We'll see how it plays out...