Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Marvel vs DC

For the last few years I've been noticing this verbal back and forth nastiness between Marvel and DC fans regarding their live action properties. I'm also a big hip hop fan and it reminds of the East vs West, Tupac vs Biggie attitude in the late 90's. I'm a long time comic book fan that favors Marvel story lines more so than DC (material from the 70's - early 2000's) but respect both properties equally. I think both companies have amazing characters with tons of potential and am delighted that I'm getting a chance to see them brought to life onscreen. My big quip is when those properties that are brought to life are done so with major "liberties" taken with core characteristics (Yes I'm referring to most current DC releases). I feel when the core values of a character are violated he or she is no longer that character. I'm bringing this up because I was reading comments from twitter feeds regarding early Dr. Strange reviews. You see words pop up like "another winner for Marvel" to "formulamatic". Just trying to grasp where all the hate is coming from lol
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

I think it's not so much hate as it's just pure fandom and a personal attachment to these characters that we all grew up with and read.

In your own mind, you envision their live counterparts to embody so much of what made them great on the printed page.

The reality is the "live" version is interpreted by numerous heads that must abide by a studio's system to earn a profit, thus the "formulaic" response.

True visionary directors/writers who are unfettered and able to fully harness and capture these characters with the tools available can create something unique and special.

The problem herein lies with the visionary him or herself.

To truly be free of these constraints requires certain power and clout, based and built from previous efforts.

But when all the stars align just right, it can be truly a magical thing at the movies for characters we all love and cherish.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
built2shred
Phoenix

I like both franchises... I just get annoyed every once in a while when you get the hardcore fanboys bashing one side or the other unreasonably...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

What's funny is I'm a DC guy through and through but I think that's why what Warner Bros. has done with the DC films has hurt me...right in the feels, man. So that's why I get upset with them.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I have noticed this too and think it's silly. I like both types of movies for different reasons. If I had to label myself as one type of fan, I would say I'm a Marvel fan. But with that being said I think Nolan's Batman trilogy is one of the greatest trilogies ever. I also dare to say, really enjoyed Snyder's Superman. Then on the flipside I think Guardians is one of the best comic movies of all time. Gasp! How do I like both? Madness!

This fanboy-ism I see everywhere on the internet. Marvel vs DC, Samsung vs Apple, Xbox vs PS vs PC, *ahem* XM vs SS *ahem*

If you want me to get deep with it I think it's an obvious modern day representation of our tribal culture and instincts. It's in our DNA for survival to be a part of a tribe as it would have given us a greater chance at surviving thousands of years ago. So if you belong to a tribe, there are advantages, and being a part of that tribe means you defend it to the death and you can't like another tribe. I think this is in the words of Joe Rogan "Left over Monkey sh*t".
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
haljordan99
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
What's funny is I'm a DC guy through and through but I think that's why what Warner Bros. has done with the DC films has hurt me...right in the feels, man. So that's why I get upset with them.
Same here. I'm a DC fan boy, but much prefer the Marvel Cinematic Universe over the DC movies.
haljordan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Well I'll be. This is a new discussion topic.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
siren3-4
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I love these movies. I, just like most people, have issues with a lot of the characters portrayal, but honestly I have had real fun watching them.

I will always have the books to go back to and I am in love with Omnibus & Absolute editions of stories that I cherish.

The positives have far outweighed the negatives and every now and then you get a Guardians or Civil War that just blow my childhood mind.

I wish DC would have taken a little more time with the stories before going full Justice League. The movies have been visually gorgeous though.
siren3-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:46 AM   #9
Gruson
Suicide Squad

DC movies were great and classic with Superman '78 and Batman '89. Even he Nolan Bat trilogy was great, ok maybe not the last one but it was ok.

The issue is the direction they went starting with Man of Steel. The Snyder tone, look and feel just does not feel DC IMO. The casting has been ok but not great either. Then add bad scripts and a pretty lame musical score and you get forgettable movies. The whole direction they are going just gets worse too, never better. It's sad too because it could be so much more.

I'm really enjoying their TV shows though, they got those right with the cast, look, and scores. Yes, a bit too cheesy at times but at least they resemble the comics much more than the movies. Arrow seasons 1 and 2 were fantastic. Flash has also been incredible and Legends is up and down but still fun. Supergirl is the worst by far but has its moments.

They need a reboot big time for their movies because I can't stand what they're doing and am a big comic fan.

Marvel movies got it right and I love their universe. You feel the characters and story so much more and they actually look the way they did in the comics. Some great scores too and wonderful casts.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote