Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by modus View Post
Maybe it was compromised by the door hitting it a few times? Just a guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturday_Knight_Surfer View Post
From Ikea's web site :
"Good to know
...A strike, knock or scratch can cause the glass to crack suddenly. However, only into small pieces, never into sharp fragments..."

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/

Maybe a scratch in the past months can explain.
might be onto something

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
patrickwm68
The Flash

Damn! This is one of my fears with my detolfs, the things make pinging sounds all the time. I think one day I'm just going to hear a ping then a loud crash.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Wow, that's horrible. On the bright side it didn't collapse. I would cry if Doom hit the ground.
Oh yeah, Doom was the first thing I looked for when I walked in the room.

Quote:
Maybe it was compromised by the door hitting it a few times? Just a guess.
The closet door is set up so it will open no more than 90 degrees so it never comes close to the Detolf. As for the Detolf door, I can't remember the last time I opened it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Weird indeed Neil. Were there any temperature changes/fluctuations or vibration near the unit?
None that I can think of. I live next to Redstone Arsenal and sometimes the governement tests things deep in the compound. But I haven't heard any big booms in a good while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturday_Knight_Surfer View Post
From Ikea's web site :
"Good to know
...A strike, knock or scratch can cause the glass to crack suddenly. However, only into small pieces, never into sharp fragments..."

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/

Maybe a scratch in the past months can explain.
True, the fragments of the door aren't sharp at all. But what in the world caused it to fracture into so many pieces in the first place? Maybe there was a scratch somewhere. Evidently, the door had to be stressed enough to pop like this. But that door has always opened easily and without any kind of strain. It's not like the Detolf was leaning and putting pressure on the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
Damn! This is one of my fears with my detolfs, the things make pinging sounds all the time. I think one day I'm just going to hear a ping then a loud crash.
I hear those pinging noises sometimes, too. But I just chalk those up to the frame, not the glass. I really have no idea what happened here.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Did you tighten the metal pieces for the hinges to tight? that can cause it to crack.

Unless you just got a messed up one from production, Either way that totally sucks.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
ratchet
Mandarin

That's the strangest thing ever! Seems like the door did what it was supposed to and broke into tiny pieces rather than large, sharp fragments - but wow! Glad all of your pieces are still intact though!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
ichiro51
Justice League
Adamantium Member

Sorry that happened to you, but thanks for sharing it with the us. Scary.

Btw, I kept looking at Jason lying face die thinking... "don't turn him over, he's not really dead!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
I awoke to a big crashing noise this morning about 7:15. Considering my display room is right down the hall from the bedroom, I feared the worse. This is what I found: Of the eight Detolfs in my display room, the one in the farthest corner had its door shattered into a gazillion pieces, but, thankfully, all three shelves were intact. The only victim was a Jason Voorhees doll that was knocked over from his customary spot at the base of the Detolf.

Check it out:

What the hell happened? I live alone so there are no suspects save for those already in the room. Weirdly, the mound of broken glass crackled a bit for about five minutes after the crash (seriously!). Was Doom on his throne sending me a warning? Could the Beast bust at the bottom wanted out? Was the fact I had three Jean Grey/Phoenix pieces in a single Detolf a factor? Did Jason do it? Do I have poltergeists?

Seriously, I've had that Detolf since 2007, if not 2006. What could have stressed the door enough for this to happened? The Detolf still seems sturdy enough to me. Has this happened to anyone else?
ichiro51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
rilynil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Did you tighten the metal pieces for the hinges to tight? that can cause it to crack.

Unless you just got a messed up one from production, Either way that totally sucks.
Yeah, this really was an AWFUL sound to wake up to this morning. As for the hinges, I really don't remember if I tightened them too tightly. I believe this was one of the first Detolfs I bought in spring 2007 (or was it late summer 2006? I dunno). It's just a mystery to me what caused this one to implode like it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
That's the strangest thing ever! Seems like the door did what it was supposed to and broke into tiny pieces rather than large, sharp fragments - but wow! Glad all of your pieces are still intact though!
Thanks, ratchet! I feared we worse when I walked in the room. I've got to admit I was stunned to find that it was the door and not a shelf that had broken. I just can't figure this out.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #18
rilynil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiro51 View Post
Sorry that happened to you, but thanks for sharing it with the us. Scary.

Btw, I kept looking at Jason lying face die thinking... "don't turn him over, he's not really dead!"
Yeah, Jason is faking! He's waiting for me to get close and then
Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
rilynil

Even though no statues were harmed, I'm bummed because now I have a Detolf with no door.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #20
bebohawk
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Dude I know just saw your hole life pass in a flash you almost lost Doom😱😱😱!!!! that was close you are a lucky guy.
bebohawk is offline   Reply With Quote